• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I never dealt with indyjohn, being part of SDH's original group buy, but I went from the ALICE packs to the ILBE, and it is a world of difference. I would add my vote to definitely check them out. I still use my ALICE packs, but not nearly as much as the two ILBEs I bought.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    HUH? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to call you out but as the host of the ILBE group buy I've got a little experience with them. I literally mean a little, because I'm not former military but I've hiked with mine several times and thoroughly inspected, reassembled, and studied about 500 of these. They seemed to be designed to accommodate MANY back and anatomy variations.

I've since deleted all the saved links to "how to fit and size" the main pack but it can be Googled easily. Off the top of my head the two big "fitting"/non field adjustments are the shoulder strap height position can be adjusted by repositioning the plastic plate in the velcro, the two metal internal frame supports can be contoured to fit your spinal curves...then there are the myriad of webbing adjustments that can be e while you are wearing it. I've only owned one commercial pack that was more customizable to fit the anatomy of the user, and it was a VERY expensive commercial version of the ILBE's that is not as good as my ILBE's.

Yeah I had forgotten about the covered velcro adjustment for the shoulders. I will say that my 6'4" father had some definite trouble getting it to fit, and that my deuter commercial pack at less than 4lbs was far more comfortable even with a 30lb load.

Yeah, so, wrong on the adjustment, poor memory moment. So don't listen to me there, OP, but.. I still did not like the pack - two loops around my local park was enough.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah I had forgotten about the covered velcro adjustment for the shoulders. I will say that my 6'4" father had some definite trouble getting it to fit, and that my deuter commercial pack at less than 4lbs was far more comfortable even with a 30lb load.

Yeah, so, wrong on the adjustment, poor memory moment. So don't listen to me there, OP, but.. I still did not like the pack - two loops around my local park was enough.

I think part of the problem is that you're comparing apples to oranges. The ILBE - as well as the Army load carrying system - is designed for infantrymen to carry large heavy loads (typically 100+ pounds) while what you seem to be looking for is a strictly lightweight load-bearing pack. Both systems are constructed for optimal load-carrying of their projected loads. I like the idea of the ILBE because it gives me the option of carrying bulky or awkward loads while still being able to get at them easily. It also gives me a certain flexibility in load-planning. For instance, I could load my "gotta have" emergency supplies in the assault pack and the rest of my stuff in the main pack, and still carry both of them. If that sort of flexibility doesn't fit your needs, the ILBE system may not be for you. On the other hand, if you can't afford $350 or more for a quality civilian expedition pack, a surplus ILBE system or the Army system might be right for you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think part of the problem is that you're comparing apples to oranges. The ILBE - as well as the Army load carrying system - is designed for infantrymen to carry large heavy loads (typically 100+ pounds) while what you seem to be looking for is a strictly lightweight load-bearing pack. Both systems are constructed for optimal load-carrying of their projected loads. I like the idea of the ILBE because it gives me the option of carrying bulky or awkward loads while still being able to get at them easily. It also gives me a certain flexibility in load-planning. For instance, I could load my "gotta have" emergency supplies in the assault pack and the rest of my stuff in the main pack, and still carry both of them. If that sort of flexibility doesn't fit your needs, the ILBE system may not be for you. On the other hand, if you can't afford $350 or more for a quality civilian expedition pack, a surplus ILBE system or the Army system might be right for you.

Excellent distinction and sound advice, right there.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    i have a couple different packs, i have a really nice Osprey 70 Litre pack i use for Hiking and camping, and i have another pack that is a combination of a Alice pack on a Mollee Frame and it is nice IMO, i pieced mine together. that is what i use as my EDC and usually where it when i go to the Indy 1500, if i was going to where it any more than that i would add a hip belt to it for some added comfort.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI

I use the assault pack every day to carry my inspection gear in a refinery/powerplant/mill situation. It can take massive use and come through unscathed for the most part, but, again, there are lighter and more comfortable options for sure.

I would think carrying over 50lbs would take some significant training and practice.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I use the assault pack every day to carry my inspection gear in a refinery/powerplant/mill situation. It can take massive use and come through unscathed for the most part, but, again, there are lighter and more comfortable options for sure.

I would think carrying over 50lbs would take some significant training and practice.

Thus my comment about "apples and oranges."

Top Bottom