• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    I am new to shooting, I have put a few hundred rounds through my ruger 10/22 rifle and now I am starting to think about getting a handgun that is relatively inexpensive to shoot, would be good for range shooting as well as for home defense. I also just applied for a carry permit, so the handgun that I get will likely end up being the gun that I carry. I am looking for some suggestions on what I should go with....I am not in a huge rush because I want to take my time and make sure I get a gun that is right for me. I am also on a budget, so cheap to shoot and an inexpensive starting price is really what I am looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Look for LEO trade-in Glocks. (A fair amount of these are G22s, which are chambered in 40 S&W) The Sig 2022s are also good pistols.

If you like revolvers, S&W Model 10s can be found for $300.

Small revolvers i.e. the S&W 642 can be found for reasonable prices as well.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'd go with a 9mm the ammo is about the cheapest handgun ammo. I like the XD's but you need to go handle them and see what fits your needs.

Colarmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greater Fort Wayne Area
    I was really interested in an XDM, but they were incredibly expensive compared to the gun I picked, Sig SP2022. They're cheap, if you get the .40 you can convert it to .357 Sig, and if you don't, 9mm* is supposed to be pretty good as well. the thing fits my hand like a glove, but ymmv.

*I got the 9mm for reasons expressed by pwoller, but I don't know if it's any good to shoot because I can't find any ammo, but hopefully the panic will die down soon.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    I'd also suggest the 9mm as a good starting point. There are a ton of handguns available in that caliber, ammo is (under normal circumstances) cheap and plentiful, and it has good stopping power without a lot of recoil .. a good all-around compromise ..

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I'd also suggest the 9mm as a good starting point. There are a ton of handguns available in that caliber, ammo is (under normal circumstances) cheap and plentiful, and it has good stopping power without a lot of recoil .. a good all-around compromise ..

This^^. Go to a GM or other well-stocked GS and handle as many as you can.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would also recommend starting with 9mm. It's easier to shoot, and costs less. As far as guns go, ask yourself: Revolver or Sem-Auto. Then go to an LGS and feel as many as you possibly can before deciding. You will be able to tell which one is for you by simply feeling wich one is right. For me, it is the S&W M&P9c. I would recommend it to anyone, but after all, your hand may be different than mine. O and Welcome to :ingo:!!

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I like the glocks myself. Pretty partial to the G26. 9mm, small enough to carry every day, big enough to get a good grip on it, but again, it needs to fit your hand and you have to be comfortable shooting it. Handle and shoot as many as you can before you make your decision.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As others have pointed out, "relatively inexpensive to shoot," implies something in 9mm. Since your intended use is home defense and carry, that implies a mid-size gun.

My suggestion would be to look at a Glock 19 and similar pistols in the mid-size 9mm genre.

Tips on the initial cost of the gun:
    1. You generally get what you pay for.
    2. The cost of the gun itself is just the tip of the iceberg. If you shoot much at all it won't take long to burn more simply in ammunition cost, to say nothing about accessories (i.e. holsters, mag pouches, light, cleaning/maint, case, rangebag, etc.).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glock 19, possibly M&P 9c.

I'd suggest a good hybrid IWB holster, and a gun of this size will disappear.

Later, if you get the Glock, add an Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit for cheap practice.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    I'd go Glock 19 or Sig 2022 in 9mm. The Gen4 Glocks come with 3 mags but I've heard that the Sig might only come with 1 or 2, and they seem to be hard to find right now. You should be good with a gen 3 or 4 Glock, up to you. I just got a gen 4 and was thinking I should have gone gen 3 because I don't like the little bump on the trigger bar and didn't research it enough before buying. Minor issue. I like striker fire guns personally.

Have heard very good things about Kahr, CZ and FNH guns too, really a lot to chose from in the $4-600 range. Again, go and hold them at Gander Mountain and check your natural pointability and the feel. Some grips may be too big or too small or just not feel right.

I would personally stay away from subcompacts as a first gun, but to each his/her own.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    I think Id go with a .38 revolver. Initial cost is going to be low. you can keep it by the bed, carry it during the day and take it to the range on the weekend and its easy to use and safe for someone new to carrying a hand gun. Here's a nice older Rossi on GB for an opening bid of $249.00: Vintage Rossi model 68 38 spl. revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com. Im sure there will be some guys telling you what a POS a Rossi is But I can tell you Ive owned 2 Interarm's imported Rossi's for over 20 years and have never had a problem with either 1. I just suggest Rossi because of the price..lets face it if you start looking at S&W, Colt or Rugers their gonna cost more. Good luck in your search

Last edited:

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I second the Glock 19. Again gen 3 or 4 is up to you. If you can only have one, get a Glock 19. If you can accumulate more as time goes on you'll get around to the G19 eventually, so you might as well start there. You can't go wrong.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So every time you buy a gun, you should consider its "mission".
    If this gun is going to have multiple uses; range, home defense, and concealed carry, then you want a mid-sized gun in a common caliber. (.45, .40, or .9mm), and it's like cars, you get what you pay for, so don't skimp by buying a kel-tec or hi-point.

I would suggest you try the following:
    XD compact
    XDM compact
    M&P compact
    Glock 19
    Ruger SR9c (my least favorite)

If you're a big guy or don't mind open carrying where ever you go, a full-sized version of any of those guns would be better for a newbie. The bigger the gun, the easier it will be for you to learn.

Since you're looking for something cheap to shoot, then 9mm is probably the way to go. But realize the limitations of the 9mm. Don't load anything but quality hollowpoints to defend yourself....then again that goes for any handgun.

Also, put night sights on the gun or attach a TLR-1 stream light to it.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    9mm for the cost factor.

I had a new shooter shoot my XD 9 sc and then my full size XD 45 and they said the 45 was not much worse because of the size. I personally think the compact stuff is a nice middle ground between size and controllability... The sc gets to be a bit tough to control with larger hands.... But is easier to hide.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    100 rounds of 9mm can be had for around 20 bucks if you keep an eye out. Jhps expansion is plenty for self defense. And you are already familiar with Ruger so why not look into the Sr9 or Sr9c. Or if you like something a bit more substantial, my personal carry is a Ruger p95. Built like a tank and eats everything. Plus holds 15 rounds.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    100 rounds of 9mm can be had for around 20 bucks if you keep an eye out. Jhps expansion is plenty for self defense. And you are already familiar with Ruger so why not look into the Sr9 or Sr9c. Or if you like something a bit more substantial, my personal carry is a Ruger p95. Built like a tank and eats everything. Plus holds 15 rounds.

Second! My SR9c holds 17+1 rounds and has eaten everything I've fed it, from cheap ($10.95/50) Tulammo steel-cased stuff to Hornady ($1/round) PD rounds. With the (included) 10 round mag, it conceals decently.

Top Bottom