• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hey everyone, I want to install a set of Meprolight 18802 night sights on my PPQ. These will replace the stock plastic sights with the windage adjustment on the rear with PPS style which has the roll pin requiring a compression fit. I considered installing these myself with a hammer and punch but would really not want to bugger up the slide or knock out the night sights and would prefer to have them professionally installed. Does anyone know of a gunsmith who can install these on a PPQ?

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I just installed my 18802 Meps last night. It took 15 minutes...no kidding.

If you are fairly handy, do it yourself. Otherwise, list your location so we can point you in the direction of a smith in your area. It is usually a $20 job at Gutridge Gunsmithing up by me in Northwest Indiana.

Clear your weapon. Field strip it. Spray some lube on the rear sight. Put slide in vise with wood or rubber blocks so as to not scratch your slide. Take the roll pin they supplied and put it on the bottom of your new site with the "teeth" facing in the direction of where the slide will be (the teeth "bite" into the slide."...you will need a pair of channel locks or pliers to snap/push the pin into the bottom of the new sight. Knock out old rear sight with a hammer and brass punch or wood block/dowel rod from left to right (shooter view...when holding/aiming the gun...left to right...) Knock new sight in with your hammer/punch or hammer/wood combo...easy to tell center of slide/center of site.

Front site unscrews from bottom. Clean up area with degreaser, install new sight with some blue Loctite or thread locker.

Honestly took me 15 minutes last night from field strip to putting gun back together.

Waltherforums.com has plenty of info on this as well. Good luck!

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    SmokinSigs - Did you install those to the PPS or PPQ? Not sure it would be more difficult but the dovetail may be different with the PPQ's windage adjustment well and knowing that S&W had problems installing this type of sight on the FE model. Hoping I am other thinking this but like to know for sure before going ahead.

Websnyper - I'm in Miami County but will be traveling north around South Bend to ward Benton Harbor next week.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    SmokinSigs - Did you install those to the PPS or PPQ? Not sure it would be more difficult but the dovetail may be different with the PPQ's windage adjustment well and knowing that S&W had problems installing this type of sight on the FE model. Hoping I am other thinking this but like to know for sure before going ahead.

Websnyper - I'm in Miami County but will be traveling north around South Bend to ward Benton Harbor next week.

I installed them on my PPS last night. If you are installing the 18802s (standard, no adjustable windage sights) on the PPQ, the directions are the same.

Again, if you have the tools and a hair of do-it-yourself capability, very easy.

Midwest Gun Exchange is located in South Bend, give 'em a call and see if they have an in-house 'smith that will slap 'em on for ya if you're not up to it.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    My PPQ now has night sights. Can't say it was easy but with a little fitting, a lot of hammering they are on.

Top Bottom