Looking for a handgun under 500 for first one...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Just what the title said. Looking for one under 500 bucks. I am only 20 so I have to buy through a private sale or have a parent buy it for me, in this case my mother. I want to get one now so I can practice with it while i wait on my LTCH to arrive. I haven't applied yet but I will when i have the extra cash, I am just going to go for the lifetime.

I am looking at used glocks heavily. Mainly the 19, 26, 23, and 27 but I do want to be able to control it comfortably. I have held a glock 26 before and it seemed great in the hand but my pinky does hang off since i have large hands.

Anyways, start suggesting! Thanks for looking and posting.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    If you don't have much experience shooting pistols, then you may want to start with one of the 9mm versions rather than the .40SW versions. If you have shot the different calibers and are comfortable with one or the other, pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Ammo is a little cheaper also, which helps on a budget.

As far as the pinky not being engaged on the G26/G27, you can buy magazine extensions by Pearce that just extend the forward edge of the magazine to allow your pinky to engage it, per the link below. They don't make a big difference to concealment, but they do help get a better grip!

Pearce Large Grip Extension for GLOCK 26, 27, 33, and 39 Black PG-26XL

If you want more magazine capacity and a larger more comfortable grip then pick the G19 or G23.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 13, 2013
    South Side Indy
    A 19 is my EDC and a 26 used to be traded it for a xds 45 and its in for recall. I shoot the 19 a lot better than the 26 and the xds 45 better than both actually but if SHTF happens my side arm is going to be my 19.

For EDC I loved the 26 you couldn't even feel it (hints why I replaced it with the xds 45) where the 19 you can but its extremely tolerable, but I look at it as 99.99999% of the time you're just going to have it on your hip and if you can hit paper with it then that .1111% chance that you have to use it you're covered.
    Just my thoughts, Hope it helps, Good luck hunting!

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Seems like the 19 is coming out on top. I think 9 Guns had one in the 450-475 range used or something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head. Gunslingers for sure has some used glocks for nice prices. they have new 26's for 525.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If a Glock is what you think you want, buy one. I suggest also trying a Ruger SR9 or SR40 if a 40 is something you really want too. They both come in a compact version as well and are less expensive than most Glocks.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would get a new one if I were in your shoes. You will know it hasn't been mistreated!

Also, a useful upgrade for G19 (or G17/G22/G23 etc) is to get an aftermarket trapped recoil rod which will trap the recoil spring in one assembly. They are better durability than the original plastic recoil rods. You can simply cut the original plastic rod and use the original spring with the new metal recoil rod to make a new recoil spring assembly. Here is a link, but many aftermarket rods are available.

Recoil Rods-www.glockmeister.com

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Under $500 huh? That's easy! Used glock 19 ($450), used Smith & Wesson M&P9 $425-450.

You'll never have a problem. Enjoy!

i see them both on ingo for sale all the time. Just wait for another to pop up.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    If you want a Glock, get a Glock... but like others have said, there are a few other options out there. (most of which you can get new for right around $500 or less)
    My choices would be as followed
    New CZ P07-P09 (currently use a P09)
    Used CZ 75 variant (compact or full size)
    New Sig Pro 2022 9mm
    New XDM9
    New 9mm 1911 from Rock Island (tactical versions with novak style sights)
    New Steyr M9-A1
    New M&P
    Used Glock (only because you want one)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Threa a gen 4 G19 in the classifieds right now for $500. That's a good deal. It will most likely be gone before you read this. I don't even need another glock but I almost bought it.

Top Bottom