• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500... Unless you choose the Mossberg. :D

Any reason you left the 2 most reputable pump shotguns off your list?

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500... Unless you choose the Mossberg. :D

Any reason you left the 2 most reputable pump shotguns off your list?

Agreed!

Best bang for your buck, very reliable guns, and best of all if do not chamber a round the "Racking" of the gun is very likely to scare someone enough were you would not have to shoot and could save yourself from the legal battle that could happen.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Hi,
    Looking at a winchester sxp defender, weatherby pa459, any ideas,

Thanks rilesss
    Remington Wingmaster, used
    Winchester Model 12, used
    Benelli Nova, new
    Winchester 1200's & 1300's used
    Remington Express or Mossberg 5xx series, new or used

EDIt: Put the FN's on the list too.

I don't like bottom eject for defense but Ithaca and Browning's are well made. Stress OLD school on the Ithaca's, not today's crap.

All of these would fall on my ideas list before the Weatherby or any Turkish or Chinese pump.

Not gonna happen, not gonna do it, read my lips, no siree not gonna do it.

DocEd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Evansville
    For home defense I would choose the 870 or 500 get it with a short barrel and either pistol grip no stock or a stock with a pistol grip. IMO this makes it easier to handle in a high stress situation an the shorter barrel is easier to maneuver your hallways. I would Los look at a fore grip with the built in light. Often times you can disarm or incapacitate a subject by blinding them. I would also look at home defense rounds. It will reduce over penetration. Nothing could be worse thn shooting an intruder and finding out the bullet struck. Family member as well.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    FNSLP is my next purchase. I have Benelli Nova, 870, and a couple old school Ithacas. I took an SLP out and was amazed at how much faster I was with it. Part of me says stay with a pump gun though for reliability. If the right quality ammo is used the SLP is great. Comes down to how much you got to put down on one like anything else.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have 3 mossbergs and HIGHLY recommend them. Ive put those guns through hell and back and NEVER had any problems! Id but a "Just in Case" mossberg for home defense.

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    mossberg makes a new home defense shotgun with a pistol grip that would help with the price for a gun that hopefully just sets around and collects dust because you never have to use it.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I agree 870 or Mossberg 500, however, I would pay an extra $50.00 - $75.00 for the 870 over the Mossberg. I actually own both guns and just feel the Remington is a little better quality. Call me old fashioned, but I am happy with just originial stock ( whether wood or synthetic) and a short 18' to 20" barrel.

jimmytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think anyone can legitimately even argue the fit'n'finish of a M500 is equal with the 870.

Maybe more simply stated... If you want to pay the extra money for the Remington, do it (and you'll be glad you did). If you do, buy the 500 (it's called a "rattle stock" for a reason), but it'll never fail you.

Top Bottom