• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I'm considering getting a Taurus 1911 45 for bullseye and range shooting. The guns look nice, have match components and a lifetime warranty. I know Taurus guns can be turds or jewels but the lifetime warranty can remedy that. I would like to spend less than 500.00.

What are your thoughts.

Scott

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Rock Islands are great guns for the money, awesome company to deal with and no series 80 parts (firing pin safety) like Taurus has. A used Taurus 1911 isn't too bad either of an option, but their warranty and repair takes forever... I had a PT1911 that took 6 months due to cracked slide...

In both cases, most of the failures I have seen with those two have been crappy mags the owner picked up or the original mags. The Novaks that come with the Rock Island's aren't bad, but they can crack after a while and deform QUITE easily. The Taurus comes with a variant of the Novak and suffers the same issues, plus the spring feels weak. Better mags, better function. :twocents:

A used Springfield isn't too far off and offers a bit nicer of accutriments, such as better small parts (IMHO) and fit/finish than the Rock or Taurus, but you are going to have to have some patience in waiting for a used one to pop up.

Then the flood of: Well, if you save 100 or 200 dollars more, you can get X... :D On a side note: Learn the gun, get some books on how to build one and you will throw out the warranty papers. I always dislike when a 1911 owner has jamming with their gun, first reaction is to "send it back to whoever". Change mags, then change ammo, then horse with it. The 1911 lends itself to user repair and upgrade, learn it.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I would not own a Taurus 1911. There are SO many better choices, why waste your time with a crap gun.

Funny, I was looking at .460 Rowland conversion kits just this morning... and I remember something.

Q: Are there any other guns that you specifically DO NOT recommend for the 460 Rowland?A: YES! We do not recommend this kit for installation in
    • IAI (Israeli Arms International) - We've found the top lugs in the slides of the Philipines produced 1911s to be soft! We've not tested the Israeli made guns but would recommend extreme caution.
    • Rock Island Armory
    • Auto Ordnance
    • Taurus
      new4.gif

• Llama
    • AMT
    • Charles Daly
    • Essex
    • Remington Rand
    • Any "GI" 1911 (note: Springfield Armory Current Production models excluded)

Maybe it was the flashing "NEW" next to it that made me remember.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I called them a few years ago regarding that and they said it was due to the internals being weak for .460 Rowland on the Taurus. Granted, every Taurus 1911 I had was stock internally for about 15 minutes before being reworked! :D .460 is pretty raucus. .45 Super is a bit much for me even. I would not overlook a weapon because it is advised against firing a high pressure round that equates roughly to .44 Mag in power.... .45 auto is what the 1911 was designed for, everything else is stretching the design...

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Agreed. All things being the same, wouldnt you rather have a <gun, car, pair of shoes, backpack> that can handle the rough stuff, even if all you plan to ever use it for is the "light duty?"

There has to be a "reason" it is not going to work with the hard stuff.

And its not on that list because Clark wants to sell FEWER conversion kits :)

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I found a used unfired kimber stainless II last week for $760 cash price. I was on the hunt also for decent 1911 and I am very glad that I waited for this oppourtunity!

Keep you eyes open and you will find something that you can't pass up.

David

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Agreed. All things being the same, wouldnt you rather have a <gun, car, pair of shoes, backpack> that can handle the rough stuff, even if all you plan to ever use it for is the "light duty?"

There has to be a "reason" it is not going to work with the hard stuff.

And its not on that list because Clark wants to sell FEWER conversion kits :)

LOL, okay, okay! :D You got me! :)

But, for the price point given... Not too many tool steel guns out there, unless he built one up and it would still be over the $500 price point. Just another reason to keep saving and get something that will outlast cockroaches than something he will HAVE to eventually get replacement improved parts for if he shoots it or abuses it.

To the flood of those with retorts about bullet proof Rock Islands: They are great guns and not just range toys, but they aren't overbuilt for task as SOME folks want and demand. They are a damn fine 1911 though for the cost.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I'm considering getting a Taurus 1911 45 for bullseye and range shooting. The guns look nice, have match components and a lifetime warranty. I know Taurus guns can be turds or jewels but the lifetime warranty can remedy that. I would like to spend less than 500.00.

What are your thoughts.

Scott

I just picked up a Rock Island Tactical in nickel at that price point. I'm actually very impressed with the gun. If you compared in to a $1000 gun you could pick out some differences, but overall it's a nice looking/shooting gun.

I can post some pics if you're interested in seeing it, the stock photos aren't that great.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have 2 PT1911s,one blued all steel,one with the alloy frame. The blued one has over 6k rounds fired and the only thing that has been replaced was the slidestop,recoil spring,grips and the magazines.The finish is vey weak and wears off pretty fast.The alloy frame has 3k rounds plus and runs fine no excessive wear on the frame,replaced the hammer (because it's ugly), magazines, slidestop,and grips.I am getting the slide refinished because of the weak finish.Maybe I just got 2 good ones.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

What are your thoughts.

Scott

It sounds like you have a good plan. I won't try to get in your way. If it is reliable for the uses you list, you might even consider it for the Self Defense function.

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    I think the Taurus will be fine unless you would spend the extra money for a Kimber or Springfield. A used Smith & Wesson 1911 is also a good buy. I have a 1911 PD with light rail and scadnium frame and love it. note S&W makes kimber slides and frames

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If it has to be new, at around $500, the Rock Island is probably your best bet. I'd be tempted to keep your eyes open for a used Kimber or Springfield.

Glock19Dude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had my Taurus 1911 for awhile and I've had no problems with it. I don't know why people seem to bash Taurus handguns??? I had to send in a previous Taurus to their HQ for a repair in Miami,FL. I had to pay a total of $23 for shipping it there and it was fixed and back to me within 2 weeks. Don't believe all the horror stories about Taurus.....I think they're a bunch of haters!

FYI.....most of the Kimber and other high-end 1911's only come with 1 mag. My Taurus came with 2 mags, 2 sets of grips and a really nice paded case for about $620 at Cabela's.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    I have to throw my hat in the ring for the Rock Island as well. I also have had a Norinco 1911 that was wonderful. However, I prefer the RIA.

I've had Colts, I've had Springfields and they were fine, but for the money you can't beat a Rock!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I can't say enough awesome things about my RIA 1911's. I have a tactical version which is my EDC and the GI for now (best friend's buying it) but I'll replace it with another RIA for certain. Zero problems with either gun at a great price point. For 500 bones, you can get the GI and some ammo.

Good luck to ya. If it's a 1911, it's awesomesauce. If you like the Taurus, pick it up.

Top Bottom