Looking for a job in the Transportation Industry...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Hi guys:

My job search continues...

I'm looking for a non-driving, support role in the Commercial Transportation Industry in Northwest Indiana/South Chicago suburbs. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Erick

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    My search continues if anyone knows of anything, I'd really appreciate a heads up. I'm not looking for just a "job", I'm looking for something fulfilling that could be a career.

Thanks.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Watch all the rail road sites...

Huge plus 1, CSX is hiring off and on due to their workforce aging. Depends, however, on your skill set. No skills, no job. :(

When I drove a truck, I was ALWAYS offered positions "in dispatch" due to my degree (communications, but still, a degree). Alot of these companies like the idea of hiring from the "inside".

What is your skill set? What have you worked? Any education/formal training/certifications? Without those, one MAY have to work at the company before they would consider you for any position higher up.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Huge plus 1, CSX is hiring off and on due to their workforce aging. Depends, however, on your skill set. No skills, no job. :(

When I drove a truck, I was ALWAYS offered positions "in dispatch" due to my degree (communications, but still, a degree). Alot of these companies like the idea of hiring from the "inside".

What is your skill set? What have you worked? Any education/formal training/certifications? Without those, one MAY have to work at the company before they would consider you for any position higher up.

I have a total of 3 years in the transportation industry, most of which was on the shop/maintenance side. Originally, I wanted to become a diesel mechanic because I was fascinated by semi's. In that position at Ryder, I was basically a janitor and it was against the union contract for me to get ANY time on the trucks, so I learned very little. The time I did get, I was reported to the union and my boss and got nailed twice. This was supervised work. After a while, my interest dissipated.

I'm familiar with DOT regs, Hours of Service, and CSA2010, all of which I've taught myself independently.

Most recently, I was a Dispatcher/Fleet Coordinator, and the drivers assigned to me all told me they never had a dispatcher that worked so hard in their favor. I mean, it wasn't hard. I just made a few extra phone calls to make their lives easier on the road and put the entire load together for them so they spent less time doing it themselves and more time on the road getting there. That was very frowned upon by the executives, and I was eventually terminated.

I still keep in touch with them, and am learning more and more about the company I used to work for. Not good things, either...Driver turnover is through the roof, and all the good drivers are leaving, and being replaced by drivers that are there to gain experience, then move on. I've been told several times that Tandem "used to be the company of choice" for drivers. Now, they take what they can get. Of course, being the lowest paid flatbed driver doesn't help retention either. People there are making promises they can't keep, and that leads to turnover. Those in the industry have said, "You can tell when a dispatcher is lying when his mouth moves" or something to that effect.

In this role (3 months), I've also done driver development, recruiting, new driver onboarding/orientation, etc. Bottom line, I told them how it was going to be; I didn't lie. Truck drivers aren't stupid; they've heard it all. You cannot bullshoot a bullshooter (edited so it won't get bleeped out).

In this time, I learned A LOT about the industry, mostly through self-teaching, and by pissing the company off by siding with the drivers...when warranted. There were times when a driver didn't have a leg to stand on, and there were others when it wasn't his fault at all, but the driver still got nailed for it. In those times, I defended the driver, and ultimately lost my job for it. I was told I had to "pick the driver's side or Tandem's side". I guess I picked the driver's side...and paid the penalty by losing my job...lesson learned. It jsut sucked that the driver's always got the short end of the stick. These guys are away from home for weeks on end; I just wanted to make their lives a little easier. Some had an easier time than others in being away from home for extended periods...those guys I had no issues with; but I still felt that in my position, it wasn't hurting anything to listent o their issues and try to come up with a solution for all. That's what I loved. I treated them like "people" instead of "just a driver".

OK, I kinda went off on a tangent here, originally, I was asked about my experience. Wanted to explain everything fully. Hope it helps.

Erick

Top Bottom