• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, was in the dreaded Gander Mountain the other day mainly just looking, and wanted to check out the reloading manuals and couldn't find what I want.

Dad and I are due for a new manual (more current) and most of the ones Gander had were shrink wrapped so I couldn't even see what calibers they contained. Of the two I could look through, Speer (I think it was Speer, was a binder style) didn't have my calibers, but Lyman did...

Looking for a manual that contains 7.62x54R loads using .310 or .311 bullets (the Lyman manual used .308 diameter) AND has 7.62x25 (7.62 Tokarev). Lyman had both, but really want the proper size bullet/load info...

I couldn't look through the Sierra manual, and they're about the only place I've found .310-.311 bullets (for .303 and 7.7 Jap), does their manual have both those calibers?

If any of the mainstream manuals also contains .458 SOCOM it'd be a great bonus...

I know most of the info can be found online, but it's nice to have a manual right out there on the bench.

Also thinking about upgrading to a paid membership on Ammoguide.com
    Anyone done that, is it worth it? Seems like a decent deal...

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I would suggest you might want to add some of the manuals put out by the powder manufactures. Hodgdon sells a very good manual. Cover price $8.99. It also contains IMR and Winchester powder info. Go to Alliant's web page and request their manual and they will mail you one free. Be on the look out for last years Lee manual. They are a wealth of info. And you can find them pretty cheap.
    I checked the Hodgdon manual and it lists 7.62x54 using .308 bullets.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    At least the Gander has reloading stuff up there. In Evansville they done away with that awhile back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would suggest you might want to add some of the manuals put out by the powder manufactures. Hodgdon sells a very good manual. Cover price $8.99. It also contains IMR and Winchester powder info. Go to Alliant's web page and request their manual and they will mail you one free. Be on the look out for last years Lee manual. They are a wealth of info. And you can find them pretty cheap.

Thanks for that info.:yesway:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Yeah, those were probably also some of the shrink wrapped ones, I just forgot to mention them. I just want a book that has both of those calibers in the same place... If I can't find one, I might join that Ammoguide.com as a paid member and just make printouts and start putting together a binder... Get a small laminater and go to town!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Lee Modern Reloading second edition. Available from www.leeprecision.com

All the data you could ever hope for.

Alas, no 7.62 Tokarev or .458 SOCOM... I don't think what I'm looking for exists. I think right now the Lyman is the closest thing to what I'm wanting...

Even looking at the reloading manual publisher's websites, most of them don't even list the cartridges contained in their manuals... They should all at least do that, just checked out the Lyman, Nosler, Hornady, and Hodgdon pages...

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I tend to like to have 4-5 different Manuals when I am working up a "new" cartridge. You cannot have to much information....

I agree. You cannot have to much info. I got into reloading to shoot more. And quickly discovered that reloading is a hobby inside a hobby. When I get a new gun even if I have others of the same caliber. I start the process of matching a load to it. Mutiple manuals mean mutiple powders and bullet types.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Alas, no 7.62 Tokarev or .458 SOCOM... I don't think what I'm looking for exists. I think right now the Lyman is the closest thing to what I'm wanting...

Even looking at the reloading manual publisher's websites, most of them don't even list the cartridges contained in their manuals... They should all at least do that, just checked out the Lyman, Nosler, Hornady, and Hodgdon pages...

7.62 Tokarev is on page 404. The 458 SOCOM is indeed not in the Lee manual.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    7.62 Tokarev is on page 404. The 458 SOCOM is indeed not in the Lee manual.

Ah, just checked again, they don't have the Tokarev on the cartridge list on their website, unless I missed it twice...

Definitely want to pick up a Lee and Lyman then. Maybe see what goodies (i.e. CASH) I get for X-mas and go from there... Don't have any brass yet, it's all still loaded in factory boxes, heh.

Top Bottom