• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I'm in the market for a new gun. I had a Sccy 9 mm and hated it it was very unreliable. So I'm looking for a new compact 9mm I really like the looks of the new Smith and Wesson Shield but in know nothing about it other than what I saw on Shooting USA and what I've watched on youtube. Any thoughts?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I know it'll be better than the Sccy! The LC9 is also a really nice shooter and (at least from my experience) are less expensive and either to find..

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Glock 19 is not the #1 selling pistol in the world for no reason! It's a great gun! My wife has a 19 and I have a 23...both Gen II's...we found them NIB in 2010 and couldn't pass! Glock's subcompact pistol, the model 26, is also a great little gun! Glock makes GREAT pistols!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I'm in the market for a new gun. I had a Sccy 9 mm and hated it it was very unreliable. So I'm looking for a new compact 9mm I really like the looks of the new Smith and Wesson Shield but in know nothing about it other than what I saw on Shooting USA and what I've watched on youtube. Any thoughts?

Isn't the shield next to impossible to obtain?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I bet in the next 5 years the glock market will be diminished, not gone for sure but I've been watching and the M&P line which I throw the shield into is making its way into the market, but just because its the largest selling doesn't its the right one for you,

the shield is available, the ruger line has always been a reliable well built pistol, and you've hit the top three in my opinion

after carrying a "plastic" gun for a couple years the all steel guns seems like boat anchors,

Go to a gunshop close to you, you have the basics, and you have a bad experience behind you, hopefully we all learn from our bad ideas

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I dunno, x10 - many of the "Pro" list items for Glock just aren't there with the M&P (or the XD(m), PPQ/PPS, etc)

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice guns out there. I've got an XDm and even with all the extra bells and whistles, I still don't like the feel as much as the Glock. YMMV, of course - there's so many nice handguns out there right now that it really boils down to what shoots well for you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I shot the 9mm for a few months and now I have the .40 S&W. They are both solid and I've only heard of two people having an issue with them. They are hard to find, but most shops are not charging a premium for them. If anyone is, I would certainly pass.

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I really like the M&P models. I have looked at the LC9 and it feels "cheap".... too much plastic... even the slide rod is plastic... I have always liked the Ruger SR9 or SR9c... I don't know? I just don't want to pick something that I won't like and regret it... I looked at a Glock 19 and I think it might have been a Glock 26? One was a .40 cal, and I wasn't impressed with the way the clip was in the gun... there is some sort of weird "void" on the back side of the grip... It just looked tacky... I want a good shooter, but I want something that looks cool too... Is that stupid? I'm not a well educated handgun guy... I'm learning as I go..

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I really like the M&P models. I have looked at the LC9 and it feels "cheap".... too much plastic... even the slide rod is plastic... I have always liked the Ruger SR9 or SR9c... I don't know? I just don't want to pick something that I won't like and regret it... I looked at a Glock 19 and I think it might have been a Glock 26? One was a .40 cal, and I wasn't impressed with the way the clip was in the gun... there is some sort of weird "void" on the back side of the grip... It just looked tacky... I want a good shooter, but I want something that looks cool too... Is that stupid? I'm not a well educated handgun guy... I'm learning as I go..
    Weird, but to each their own. I am sure many people think my handgun choices are weird.
    You might want to try a 1911 if you dont like plastic.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I have looked at the LC9 and it feels "cheap".... too much plastic... even the slide rod is plastic...

Just bought me a LC9 this weekend, and even though it's plastic, it felt pretty sturdy. I gave the handle a hard pinch to see how much give it had, and I didn't notice it give at all.

Also, my Beretta 96A1 has a plastic slide rod. I figured if Beretta can do it, it must be fine. But my initial thoughts was that with all that pressure and heat, couldn't something go wrong with it?

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In

Mag .... not clip.

40 cal would have been a 27 or a 23 in the compact and sub categories respectively. Im a fan of them, some are not. XDm's are nice. I had (2) M&Ps and I wasnt a fan of the triggers at all and didnt feel like I should have to put $100+ more into them to make them smoother. Just my opinion.

Go to a range that rents guns and go from there.

My personal opinion is shoot a 26/19 or a 3.8 XDm. A Kahr CM9 or a CW9 would be a very nice option as well, and under $400 new.

eblevins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    go with a glock

Glocks function flawlessly. They hold their value in the odd chance you are not satisfied you could trade it and not loose a lot.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    The best pistol for me may be the worst for you, and vice versa.

Sure, you'll get lots of opinions here-but your best bet will be to handle them and shoot what you can to see what the best fit for you is. Glocks, M&P, PPQ, SR9c, 1911s and HKs are good starting points on your search but really you need to see what fits you best and what you shoot the best--the most important aspects of this are things nobody can figure out for you

bigtex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    You can get the great LC9 for $300 shipped and the LaserMax verison of same for $354 shipped to your FFL. Prices are excellent online.

The only Shield I found online was over $500!!!!!

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    What is your price limit here? If you are looking for a small carry, I would go with the Hk P2000SK (bottom right).

IMG_4527.jpg

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    First off, I was in your spot not too long ago, looking for a small 9mm pistol. I did like you are, and did some research into what people recommended. Then I went to a gun shop close by that had a wide selection, and just asked to hold different ones- I tried about a dozen handguns, to see what fit my hand best. In the compact/subcompact areas, I liked the Beretta PX4 compact and the Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. I ended up going in a different direction when I held a CZ-75BD, and fell in love with it. Some people suggest getting a gun that holds it value so that you can trade it. Thats fine for some, but for me, I want to get a gun I want to shoot. If I don't want to shoot it, I won't carry it. If I won't shoot it or carry it, why am I getting it? Get what FITS YOU! If you can rent some and try them out, go for it. It will be worth the small investment to help you narrow your list down.

I still wanted a smaller 9mm, and ended up buying a Sig Sauer p250 9SC. I liked it because it came with a slightly modified compact grip that would fir the sub com slide, giving me the grip size of the larger weapon with the shorter, more concealable barrel. That was probably 6-8 months after I started looking for a gun like this...

Top Bottom