• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    I think i'm straying from a carry weapon and looking more for one that is accurate and fun to shoot at the range but with some personal home protection qualities.

Magnum Research Desert Eagle 44 Mag

mag_de50_blackchrome.jpg

:D

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i can attest that there is nothing fun about that retarded DE .44mag.

but i think that a good carry weapon = a good home defense weapon. they both are needed under dire situations and i would not want someone quirky or unreliable for either chore.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified

but i think that a good carry weapon = a good home defense weapon. they both are needed under dire situations and i would not want someone quirky or unreliable for either chore.

It was a joke man... :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    new handgun

I just recently bought a Beretta 92 Series 9MM. Everything i have read is positive and the feel of the gun in your hand is solid. I haven't fired it yet, but hope to very soon. I am a 1911 fan and would love a Kimber, but can't justify that much jack. Also with the price of ammo and reloading components rising, a 9 is more economical. Look forward to seeing what you get.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield

The one in the pic is actually a .50

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i would never own one but i have a friend who has a .44 and i know he's compensating. went to pop guns one day shooting. looked around after i was done and decided i wanted to see one for real. i asked the guy at the counter and he handed me a .50. i grabbed it then immediately gave it back and said, "this thing is stupid". he laughed. i asked him what kind of person buys that ridiculously large handgun. he said the kind with gold teeth.

now i shot my friend's .44 this summer and after a full magazine i gave it back to him and i was done with it.
    • the frame is enormous.
    • the action is slow and heavy.
    • it pinches the **** out of you if you are not gripping it a specific way.
    • the slide safety is way out of reach.
    • and the recoil is so bad it is difficult to quickly acquire your sight picture again. plus your grip changed from the kick.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Personally, as I can see where everyone is coming from with the glock reliability statements, I would pick the XD for a FIRST pistol. I own both and the XD has a far better grip-angle, is more accurate, and is also more comfortable in the hand. I would also have to agree with the rental idea to see for yourself because all people are different especially when it comes to their guns. I also believe that I read somewhere else that the XD WILL pass the glock torture test with flying colors. Good luck.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Look at the Smith and Wesson MP 9mm

Make sure you take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm pistol. In my opinion it is one of the best buys out there right now.

I own a couple 1911s, an XD40 and Glock 19. My Smith and Wesson MP 9mm is my favorite shooter of the bunch (no kidding).

You can buy them right now at Buds Gun Shop (updated hourly) on-line for $439 delievered to your FFL. And now through the end of April, there is a $50 rebate and 2 free mags promo.

So, for $389, you get an awesome gun and 4 (17 round) mags. Pretty sweet deal. I just ordered the same gun in 40 cal because the deal is too good to pass up.

If you get a chance, try shooting one. The ergonomics are awesome. Pop's doesn't have any rentals, but they have them for sale ($599 I think).

Xring

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I love my Sig's, but I always go to my G19 for carry. The G19 does so many things well. There are many quality 9MM pistols out there. Find one you're comfortable with and practice!

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I ordered an S&W M&P 9mm from CDNN for $399 last month. I had 1800 rounds of WWB 9mm just sitting in my ammo safe but no 9mm pistol......

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The CZ P-01 is a great carry pistol that passed NATO's torture test and costs a fraction of what you will pay for an HK.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Man, I had no idea that the 1911's I have carried for..Oh about 30 years were so unreliable.

Or that my DE .44 was a hunk of crap. Geez, I grew up in the gun business and nobody told me these words of wisdom.

Ummm....thanks...I think.

OK, enough sarcasm. 95% of 1911 operating issues can be directly related to A)crap (outsourced,offshore)mags..B)ammo (nothing, not even a Glock will run everything all the time)...C)operator inexperience and/or stupidity.

Decent mags,good ammo,experienced user,well maintained pistol equals happy shooter. As I said above, I grew up in the gun business, am currently in the gun business AND carry a 40 year old 1911 daily. And it is dead reliable, as are all my 1911's,Glocks,Wheelguns,BHP's.

If you want it to, possibly, save your life the "by God" learn to use it, maintain it and feed it properly. If you have issues: a)take your gun to a REAL gunsmith for a diagnosis (not your buddy the cop,the clerk at your local Wal-Mart ammo counter,all your buddies for a concensus-A GUNSMITH)...B)Change ammo and recheck...C)Go against your testasterone fueled belief that you are a male and therefore KNOW about guns and get some professional gunhandling instruction from a real firearms instructor (again, not your buddies,or cop friend as most know only as much, or less, than you do. A sure recipe for disaster.

Let the flaming begin.

For the record I own, or have owned, all the guns listed in this thread with the S&W M&P (or "Son of Sigma" as I call them).

Top Bottom