• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Well, I am in the market for a new muzzleloader (I am already looking forward to next deer season :)) I currently have an old CVA Staghorn but am looking for a new break action. I have seen the Traditions break action and am looking for feedback on them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't know if you're a "traditionalist" or not, but I just bought a new CVA "Electra" this year.
    The world's only "electric muzzleloader", and I got it through Sportsmans Guide cataloge for less than $250 delivered to my door.

Instantaneous ingintion, completely weather-proof breach, and it's wearing a Bergara barrel (guaranteed to hold 1MOA at 100yds or they'll replace the barrel).

No primers! Uses a 9volt battery for ignition. CVA says if you forget, and leave your ML "turned-on", the battery should last the entire hunting season. Up to 28 days! They also say their electronic ignition produces a spark 5 times hotter than a 209 shot-gun primer! It's supposed to provide 500 shots from a single 9v battery.

I'm satisfied!

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Field and Stream did a test of the TC Impact, CVA Optima, Traditions Pursuit, and Knight Staghorn I think. Of all those, the traditions was rated as having the worst trigger and accuracy at 3+ inches at 100 yards.

TC came in a close second in accuracy. I myself have been looking at a Tc Triumph for next year. Break open and removable breech plug.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I killed my first deer this season with the new Traditions my wife and kids bought for me last Christmas. So far im happy with it and accuracy has been good. The trigger is heavy and long, so far only negative Ive noted.

shooter1054

Master
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Go with a T/C and don't look back. I have had Traditions before and they are not bad guns. I bought a T/C a few years ago and it is a great gun for the money. I took an 8point and a doe this season with mine and it it was flawless. I get about 1 1/2" groups with it at 100 yds. With the Traditions I got about 2 1/2" at 100 yards.

cwillour

Expert
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Love my T/C pistol and if you want an Encore rifle for any of the other rounds it can shoot, adding a T/C or Bergara barrel would seem the way to go. For what it's worth, my old T/C Omega Z5 (T/C's previous "value" gun) would hold consistent 1-1.5" groups using 100gr Triple7 and the cheap 240gr T/C XTP sabots and I would expect their new Impact to deliver every bit as good of accuracy.

Last edited:

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Dec 21, 2010
    You looking to stay with black powder?
    My vote would be an Encore or Pro Hunter with a SMI smokeless barrel.

Top Bottom