• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Revolver option.

I wanted to just back up the other post I saw. The Ruger is a great choice and so is the Smith & Wesson. The Smiths do have slightly better triggers out of the box. Both are accurate and reliable.
    I trick out my own custom Smiths and I have a personal bias toward them. With a small amount of work a Ruger can be just as nice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I love my nickle L frame 4inch 586, strong enough for a steady diet of magnums, but the best trigger pull in the world. I also have my dad's Model 19, a little lighter but better suited to the occasional magnum load instead of all the time. S&W's are among the best, there is a reason they were the standard for so long.

My favorite carry gun is my 3 inch SP101. The little Ruger will handle the heaviest load I would put through my L frame. Did my own trigger job with light stoning (smoothing), spring kit and then packed it full of toothpaste for a bunch (1000+) dry fires. Rinsed out with hot soapy water, relubed and it feels great. Almost as good as my S&W's and a gunsmith friend of mine who did the trigger work on my L frame complimented my SP101's trigger. It is my EDC gun and I can hit what I aim at. Surprised my son by hitting clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm.

The toothpaste idea sounds interesting...

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I guess I'll throw in $0.02 worth. (or less)

Ruger GP100: Heavy and big, really feels like you're holding the Cannon/Tank of .357's. The trigger is nothing to brag about, i think it should be better from the factory. You can find grips that'll fit, but as mentioned, they really come in just Medium and Large.

I've never shot a sp101, but i REALLY want one with the 4" barrel. Last one on ingo went for $700. Too rich for me.

The Smith feels more like a surgical intrument compared to the tank-ness of the ruger. Smoother factory action, a little lighter, maybe a little better balanced.

The Colts are massively expensive and i think collector fodder and safe queens. Not worth the money for a working gun. You could easily build a Ruger or a Smith into a better gun for less money. But it still won't say "colt" on the side...

Dan Wessons are beautiful guns! But they arn't made any more so you're stuck with used. DW have some of the best triggers you'll find on a revolver. They also have barrels that can be removed and switched for other length barrels! A basic DW is about the same price as a ruger, maybe less. However, if you want the full kit with different barrels, it's going to set you back!

I would then lump everybody else together, Charter arms, Taurus, and the like. These are alright working guns and they have many fans, but i would not rank them amoung the others. They will not last as long. Luckily, most people won't use 10% of the working life of a Ruger or a Smith, so they will probably also never wear out the cheaper alternatives! If you're only looking to get your feet wet, these are a good option. That being said, i don't own one! The Taurus' have tempted me and i may try one eventually.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've owned a S&W 686-4 for a few years and it's a great revolver.

I have owned 2 Taurus revolvers, and they were both good guns. I'd still have the model 66 if a burglar hadn't relieved me of it.

Juris gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Smith and Wesson 686 in 4" barrel is what I have....best .357 IMO...although someday, I want it in a 6" barrel as well. Get a 686...

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Value: Taurus. Taurus revolvers are cheaper, and while they don't have the fit, finish, and trigger feel of the upper tier brands, they are reliable and a good gun at their price point.

Durability: Ruger. Ruger revolvers are purposefully overbuilt, not just the blackhawk/redhawk lineup. You'll see some ammo reloading 'recipes' that are Ruger only. They are also on the heavy side because of that, which makes felt recoil less but does make it a harder to carry gun. Since you're looking at a longer barrel, I'm assuming conceal carry isn't the primary goal, so that's irrelevant to you.

All around gun: S&W. Smith is the jack of all trades and does well in any category. Due to the popularity, accessories are very plentiful. Anyone who makes a holster for a revolver makes it for the S&W, anyone who makes grips makes them for the S&W, etc.

Prestige/investment: Colt. Out of production, and prices seem to only go up. There are still a few at reasonable prices, considering, like the Trooper Mk3.

Top Bottom