• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I am looking for a safe place to gun deer hunt this year. I use a 12 gauge with slugs and a .54 cal flintlock.

I live in Fishers, so anywhere within about 30 minutes. (Anderson, Pendleton, etc.)

I am respectful and safe and have been hunting for 30+ years. I am willing to trade an NRA Basic Pistol Course, or our Defensive Pistol/Concealed Carry course in return for the land use.

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    Good luck friend. I've been looking for 3 years with very limited success. Family, distant family, friends, friends of friends, church, you name it and I've begged and pleaded for access to hunt. I even printed out liability release forms, and the new ruling on landowner liability laws in Indiana that releases the landowner. I don't mean to be negative, I've just had a real hard time with this. It seems alot of hunters talk about getting new folks out to hunt, and the next generation, etc.- but when those new hunters start asking for spots to hunt, everyone gets quiet and scarce. Now, having said that, I understand why - but its just frustrating for new guys.

The closest (I'm in Hendricks county this is all probably too far south and out of your reach) public land to me, from what I can tell is:
    Lieber 30 miles/40 mins
    Raccoon 40 miles/50 mins
    Monroe 40 miles/1 hour
    Owen-Putnam 45 miles/1 hour
    Yellowwood 50 miles/1 hour 20mins

I've always been real leery of shooting on public land, but its to the point where its either that or I give it up- I'm tired of begging. I hope your luck is better than mine, seeing how you've got lots of experience - it sounds like you might be just fine.

WoG

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    $0.02 from a landowner..
    try asking landowners for persmission to hunt varmits & small game first.. work up a relationship and maybe they will offer to let you take deer..
    I get lots of people asking to hunt turkey & deer, but very few serious coyote hunters..

WoG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Plainfield
    $0.02 from a landowner..
    try asking landowners for persmission to hunt varmits & small game first.. work up a relationship and maybe they will offer to let you take deer..
    I get lots of people asking to hunt turkey & deer, but very few serious coyote hunters..

Good idea. Got my first coyote a few winters back, it's fun but tough hunting.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    That's one reason I quit hunting. I used to hunt in high school, mid 90s. One reason was the place I did hunt(the farm I just bought), the owner let about anyone in there to hunt. So it was always had someone there and I couldn't tell who was supposed to be there. I have since bought the farm this spring and am in the process of informing and keeping people out so that I can hunt and know that I'm not gonna have some hot head or unsafe person to worry about shooting me. My nephew is going to hunt it as well. He is 17 and really likes hunting but had hard times finding places to hunt and was even told by a neighbor that he couldn't be on a fencerow on our side. That pissed me off last fall. But anyway. Like stated above. Start small and go from there. Get a good relationship established and see where that gets ya.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am looking for a safe place to gun deer hunt this year. I use a 12 gauge with slugs and a .54 cal flintlock.

I live in Fishers, so anywhere within about 30 minutes. (Anderson, Pendleton, etc.)

I am respectful and safe and have been hunting for 30+ years. I am willing to trade an NRA Basic Pistol Course, or our Defensive Pistol/Concealed Carry course in return for the land use.

What do you suppose is the average population density with in the 30 mile circle around Fishers?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of HNF to hunt on down in southern Indiana. The roads might look like they go to Aintry but pack a tent and stay the weekend, you should get a good shot at a deer. :)

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Up here in Northern Indiana the deer are so thick the farmers are very generous about letting people deer hunt. I was sitting in a conservation club meeting last summer when one of the farmer members stood up and asked if anyone wanted to deer hunt his fields. He said he couldn't find anyone who deer hunts anymore and the deer were destroying his fields. Are the farmers not in the same situation down in Fishers?

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Up here in Northern Indiana the deer are so thick the farmers are very generous about letting people deer hunt. I was sitting in a conservation club meeting last summer when one of the farmer members stood up and asked if anyone wanted to deer hunt his fields. He said he couldn't find anyone who deer hunts anymore and the deer were destroying his fields. Are the farmers not in the same situation down in Fishers?

Down around Fishers it's a lot more populated.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    You can put your name in with fish&game and if farmers need deer culled on their property they are suppose to contact you. Me nor anyone I know has ever been called before. It sounds like a win win on both sides but unless you know someone I do not believe you will ever get a call. I do put in for the state park hunts and do pretty good on those. Check the regulation next year and put in and you have a good shot for those hunts.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    $0.02 from a landowner..

Id love to hunt your coyotes

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    ... It seems alot of hunters talk about getting new folks out to hunt, and the next generation, etc.- but when those new hunters start asking for spots to hunt, everyone gets quiet and scarce. Now, having said that, I understand why - but its just frustrating for new guys.
    WoG

This is very true, I've been in Indiana for 10 yrs, hunting here for 5 yrs. ... and its frustrating for me ... whether for Deer, Geese, small game ... coyotes? ... I have no idea where to go ... so I am stuck w/ public land ...

$0.02 from a landowner..

Id love to hunt your coyotes
    ^^^^^ what he said ... I'd gladly hunt coyotes, I have the rifle and would learn the skill and invest in the rest of equipment (calls, decoys, etc) ... If I had a place where I had reasonable chance of success ... I also have to learn what to do w/ them when you get coyotes. ( I'd hunt small game too ... can I bring my golden? take a few geese? rabbits? )

... But hunting deer is also about food ... I love venison and most people don't hunt coyotes because they don't eat them ... so for many people it is not something they are interested in doing - these are the 1 weekend a yr "HUNTERS" ... (which is not me) ...

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    You can put your name in with fish&game and if farmers need deer culled on their property they are suppose to contact you. Me nor anyone I know has ever been called before. It sounds like a win win on both sides but unless you know someone I do not believe you will ever get a call. I do put in for the state park hunts and do pretty good on those. Check the regulation next year and put in and you have a good shot for those hunts.

I've put in for this for 2 or 3 yrs now (hunters helping farmers), since I found out about it. I have never heard of anyone being called either.

But I HATE the format of the questions.
    Pick 2 counties ? I'd be willing to go where ever ...
    How many deer do you want to take? and do you want a anltered deer ...
    ... I want to say ... put me on deer and tell me what you want me to take ... and how many. IMO the questions are WAY to limiting.

and don't get me started on the new rule changes to 'reduce the herd' ... 'cause where they want to reduce it, I have the same problem ... I don't know anyone in Marion County with land where I can hunt.

Ok ... maybe that was ranting ... ???!!!!??? but I bet A LOT of folks are thinking the same thing.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Coyote hunting is fun. So is squirrel and rabbit. Coyotes are out there a lot more than people think. I like it because I can work during day and then go coyote hunting at dusk.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Down around Fishers it's a lot more populated.

Ten minutes north of Fishers on I 69 it is not. It's pure country. Anderson, Pendleton, that area is nothing but farms and GREAT hunting land. I hunted it last year but can't get in touch with the landowner's son. Thirty minutes north of Fishers is even better.

I have an offer down south that I am really looking at, but I would have to camp. Not that I mind that at all. I just would not be able to hunt as long during the season. Camping and hunting would be kick ass! :rockwoot:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah I didn't know if you were referring closer to town or out in the sticks. I used to work down there.

I saw 5 (4 does 1 buck) on Hague Road right across from Ritchie Woods game preserve there by Borkowski auto shop the other day. I see deer in fishers all the time. We are slowly taking their habitat. Taking a shot at one is another matter altogether! I could see the cops now... "Great job there, SAFETY guy!"

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Maybe we need to have a deer and discuss urban deer archery, and then take a drive out to Madison county for a drive and knockon a few doors.

The first two years I hunted out there, i returned the deer to the land owner, in exchange for permission to hunt fall squirrel and spring goose season. Now we split the deer we harvest, and it works out ok. It gives us a place to throw clays and target shoot with the kids too.

Top Bottom