• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have owned a PT-22 long enough to break 2 firing pins while firing live ammo. It is a weak point in the pistol. I bought a improved firing pin from Jack First and resolved that issue. Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota It was about 25 bucks...

I have had my Taurus for almost 20 years. With quick-shok bullets, I believe it to be a valid handgun for self defense.

One factor against the PT-22 for EDC in a pocket is the large mag release knob. It is easy to push it in and the magazine partially comes out and the pistol is inoperative because of the magazine safety. I removed the knob by unscrewing it. It's not likely you will be doing any reloads with this gun....?

The PT-22 is DAO so the hammer will fall every time you squeeze the trigger. I have never had a misfire with it. I rarely rack the slide. It is just too difficult. The tip-up barrel is a VERY good thing.

Having said all that, my choice for pocket carry is a .32 caliber Kel-Tec P-32. I have been carrying mine for about 5 years. Totally reliable and easier to conceal than the PT-22. i don't use any kind of holster with it.

FWIW

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Older Iver Johnson PT22 here, looks like a little PPK. Kind of heavy for a pocket 22, but double action and has always gone bang as long as I kept it relatively clean. I found it in a gunstore in Lafayette probably 25 years ago when I was up at Purdue.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you plan on carrying an rimfire for self defense, choose a revolver.

And do yourself a favor and choose a .22 WMR.

Smith and Wesson and Taurus make them.

The triggers are *heavy*.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I carried a onyx Beretta 21a Bobcat in my pants or shorts pocket for about 10 years. Love that gun. The tip up barrel is a great feature. My wife has issues with trying to rack a slide on many other weapons. She has the matte blued version. My experience with both of these was that they have to go through a break in period. Mini-mags are the favorite ammo of both guns. I didn't try the Stingers much but I would guess they would be close to the same. Bulk 22 would not run at all in either. That was kind of a let down when I first bought them.

The older onyx models had some issues with the frame developing stress cracks. I "think" the newer ones are a little beefier. Post up what you get.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Taurus PT-22 is six months old. I have fired around 400 rounds through it, with no issues
    other than obvious ammo issues. Once you get the long trigger down, it is a reliable, accurate pistol
    for what it is.
    I would trust it to fire if I needed it, but would not feel that it was a great CC choice.
    I also have a NAA 22 Mag Revolver. I think that is only good if you are really close to your attacker.
    REALLY CLOSE!

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have carried a Beretta 21A in the summer with good results. It is a fine little pistol, and the tip barrel is a plus. They can be found used for around $250.

Dave

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Like my Beretta 21a as well. Likes HP ammo. I've never really carried it, but it fits in the picket great and just disappears. Id like to get another one actually...

ncuster852

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I have been a member of quite a few forums and I would just like to say that I am glad to see that this thread was NOT immediately responded to with "22 is not a legitimate defense round" or other such opinions. The poster asked a serious question and got answers to that question. We all have our own beliefs about what calibers are acceptable and we are entitled to them. 22 beats the hell out of stern words.

Ok, off my soap box. Please return to regularly scheduled programming.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom