• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Have a scout troop looking for a range day either the 10th or 24th of October. The troop is from the Southport area. Used to have a private range we could go to, but can't get in touch with the owner. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    John

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A range to shoot on, or a range to look at?

Why don't you just go down the road to Johnson County's range across from Atterbury?

-Nate

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Probably too far but elwood conservation club has helped out scouts before.
    They have a website and the president Joe has his # on there.

I beg to differ, You would not believe what i went through to get Appleseeds to happen at Elwood, This past spring the Bayden Powell Scout troop out of Tipton came to a meeting and asked to give free labor at the clubs clean up days, from the scouts for some access to the archery and maybe some camping at the Conservation club, Both Joe and Ron, the pres and Vpres were almost rude to them in the way they spoke to the scout Master and the two parents that were representing the scouts. They told them no.. We are not interested. And sent them on there way.
    This topic is one of the reasons I told Joe to F off.
    The second line ? of the clubs bylaws says to help any conservation in any why the club can.. The Elwood Conservation Club does not do any Conservation of any kind. And it should. That's what the bylaws state.
    If the boy scouts are not Conservation I don't know what is..
    Hopefully this winter the club will get all new officers .... And two out of three new trustees.
    How did that firewood thing with Joe work out again ?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP how far are you willing to travel? What types of shooting? As a scout function does the troop carry insurance? Is there a requirement for certified RSOs?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I beg to differ, You would not believe what i went through to get Appleseeds to happen at Elwood, This past spring the Bayden Powell Scout troop out of Tipton came to a meeting and asked to give free labor at the clubs clean up days, from the scouts for some access to the archery and maybe some camping at the Conservation club, Both Joe and Ron, the pres and Vpres were almost rude to them in the way they spoke to the scout Master and the two parents that were representing the scouts. They told them no.. We are not interested. And sent them on there way.
    This topic is one of the reasons I told Joe to F off.
    The second line ? of the clubs bylaws says to help any conservation in any why the club can.. The Elwood Conservation Club does not do any Conservation of any kind. And it should. That's what the bylaws state.
    If the boy scouts are not Conservation I don't know what is..
    Hopefully this winter the club will get all new officers .... And two out of three new trustees.
    How did that firewood thing with Joe work out again ?

Joe himself told me he had scouts out recently and in exchange they were going to clear the berms.
    Maybe it was bs. Just going by what he told.me at the appleseed.

But yea, I smell what ur stepping in.

Btw, good job getting the foot in the door. 3 more on the schedule at elwood for 2016.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Hey, I hope I'm wrong*** maybe the arguments we had sunk in.
    If that's the case then other scouts should call him... We have had a few huge arguments over the way things are run there.
    I'm so glad the Seeds have been full. I was hoping for a mid summer this year so my son could shoot it, but TJ just couldn't make it happen. It was the only thing I asked for with getting it going there. Oh well ***** happens..
    Thanks for showing up.. You should go to the meeting... I'll be back at the meeting in a few months when my time out is done.. Lololol..
    Squirrel

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Hoosier Hills rifle and pistol club may be an option.

Have a scout troop looking for a range day either the 10th or 24th of October. The troop is from the Southport area. Used to have a private range we could go to, but can't get in touch with the owner. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    John

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have an option for you but just wanted to voice my support for this activity. When I was a boyscout, we went to a range (many of us for the first time) and I remember it to this day.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I'll follow up on what I have. I'm looking for a safe environment where we have control of the range. I just don't see Atterbury as a place to introduce firearms safety to new shooters and young ones at that. It's a great range and I haven't been there in a few years but I'm sure it's ran as it should be. In that environment you can't call the range cold, and explain what almost happened etc.

We have our basis covered. I'm an NRA instructer, CRSO and we have at least 4 RSO's on the committee. And yes this would be a troop function so BSA insurance policy would be in play.
    Thanks
    JOhn

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hoosier Hills near Gnawbone
    Sand Creek Conservation Club near Elizabethtown
    South Central Gun Club near Freetown

all of these clubs you will have to get board approval, have RSOs on site and insurance in place.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    The rifle range at Camp Ransburg, Camp Kreitenstein, and Bear Creek are all usable...but you need to have NRA certified instructors and a NRA certified range master. See the BSA National Shooting Sports Manual.

Crossroads of America Council is having their "2015 Shooting Sports Weekend" at Ransburg Scout Reservation on Sept 25-27. If you can swing a visit, it might be worth looking into for ideas. Also, I believe Southport is in Hoosier Hills Council, so Camp Maumee, just south of Ransburg is in your council and also has a range. I took my BSA/NRA training courses with Ed (Maumee Camp Ranger) several years ago.

Good on you for supporting Scouting!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I second Buffalo. Years ago my Dad and I ran a troop together not far from there and used Buffalo often. It's a little gem hidden away in the cornfields. I am surprised it manages to hang on.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    We did buffalo a few years ago. So much different than going to Ransburg. We arrived later than we wanted, the ranger up there had fire going for us. Absolutely fantastic range with all of the equipment supplied. We were hoping for something closer that would be an easy day trip. This troop seems to think about the range trip and they want to plan it right in the middle of football season. Never figured that out. So to do an overnight we end up without half the troop. I'm not "active" in the troop but I'm always willing to help out!

newdave61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Avon
    Crossroads of America Council is having their "2015 Shooting Sports Weekend" at Ransburg Scout Reservation on Sept 25-27. If you can swing a visit, it might be worth looking into for ideas. Also, I believe Southport is in Hoosier Hills Council, so Camp Maumee, just south of Ransburg is in your council and also has a range. I took my BSA/NRA training courses with Ed (Maumee Camp Ranger) several years ago.

Good on you for supporting Scouting!
    :+1:

Second this. I did some of my first shooting at Ransburg many years ago. It would be cool to see how it's changed.

Top Bottom