• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'm looking for recommendations on scope rings. The rifle is a Remington bolt action .308, it came with a scope/rings/bases but I'm looking to upgrade. I have Warne steel bases, a Vortex 4-12x40 scope, but am not sure what rings to use. I have a new set of Weaver Quad locks, but wondering if there might be something better I should consider. Any suggestions?

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Both Warne and Vortex make good quality rings, I've used rings from both with good results. Look at the Warne Maxima in steel or the Vortex Pro (formerly Viper?) in aluminum, depending on if you want to save a few ounces or not. These two rings are reasonably priced. I have not used any Weaver rings, so I can't comment on the Quad Locks.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got the QuadLock on a .22 and don't have an issue with them. I HAD them on a field gun and they got bent up where they mount to the base. The rifle was put in a case in the Jeep and was abused.
    Good base and rings are a must. The Warne are OK. I only have one set of their rings and they seem to be well built and precision machined.
    I can't speak to the Vortex stuff. I don't own any.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It really doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as they are even decent quality. The bigger thing is that you, or your HIRE, knows what needs to be done to mount the optic properly.

On Remingtons, it almost ALWAYS means lapping the rings, and I also like to epoxy bed. The only real exception to that are the Burris Signature rings with delrin inserts that do that for you (which, by the way, hold like iron).

Sorry, but that does indeed most often include what are usually VERY expensive rails and rings. The trouble lies in the receiver, not in the rings or rail, but the scope's maintube that gets crimped and/or marred doesn't really care WHAT the problems are.

-Nate

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a Remmy 700 sps tactical in .308 with a Vortex Diamback HP 4-12x40 on it. I have been using Warne mounts and rings and have had zero shift.

Top Bottom