• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    308 is cheap and plentiful. You can find it in a variety of loads, and different configured rifles for it. I'm fond of the Remington 700 as far as a bolt gun go's, and an M1A for semi auto.
    I am a TOTAL, .308 nut ..... plenty of options, for reloading, plenty of factory, and MIL surplus..... a lot of everything .....:twocents:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I read one time that the 7mm Mauser has been used to take game all over the world up to, and, including elephant. Or was it the British 303?

Actually when I was researching for buying my 98k and learning about the .318 bore and .323 I found more than one article that claimed the 8MM Mauser was Europe's caliber of choice. The author claimed it was their 30-06. And complained about the low power loads American mfg rs put out because of the bore problem and people not paying attention to the difference and blowing up the early .318 bore Mauser's. And I can't wait to some day take my 220grn S & B in my non sporterized 98k and take out a big bear or moose.
    Now back on the subject. Really I'm in the the .308 camp because you can find a better value in rifles. Seems like 30-06 rifle are always on the high side. I was kinda joking about the Mosin, but you sporterize one and have a good hunting rifle. I like my 91/30 but it's a little big and heavy to carry around all day. Unless you're riding around in the back of a truck hunting hogs!

Last edited:

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    There are lots of cheap rifles around, but if you want to use it to hunt for deer in Indiana, they will have to be in a pistol caliber. Someone else mentioned this point earlier. But just because it's a pistol round, that doesn't mean it has to be wimpy. You can get them loaded up pretty hot for hunting. To this end, I highly recommend a lever gun. If ammo prices are a concern, a .44 magnum would be a good route to go; it's the least expensive of the rounds with guaranteed effectiveness. (You could also go for the less expensive .357 magnum if you can be more confident in shot placement.) If ammo prices are slightly less of a concern, I'd recommend .454 Casull lever gun (I know at least Rossi makes them). Casull is expensive, but it can also shoot .45 Colt, which is only a bit more expensive than .44 magnum if bought in bulk (see luckygunner.com for prices). .45 Colt, if loaded properly, will be more than enough for anything in Indiana with proper shot placement. That said, you can get more range time for the right price with the Colt, and then practice and actually hunt with the (Indiana deer legal) .454 Casull and be more certain of take-down ability.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    +1 on the 30-06. A very capable round and usually chambered in very dependable rifles. A wide variety of hunting ammo is available. Ammo is easy to find. If you reload you can even make 110 gr plinker ammo. I would like a bigger caliber than an '06 for large, dangerous bear, but the 30-06 will do if you do your part.
    "ain't much trouble a man can't fix with eleven hundred dollars and a thirty O six!"

brasshead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    If you reload and do any deer hunting in Indiana you would be best served with a 358BFG from BFG (Fireball168). This round would knock the snot out of any southern black bear and does great on whitetails out past 250 yards.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The problem with all the nostalgia chamberings and the attendant "people have been killing X with X for the past X years", is that bullet making technology has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 100 years and particularly in the past 10 or so. There was a time when you could not have a high BC for caliber hunting bullet, because they would all disintegrate on impact. There was a time when you had to worry whether you were driving a bullet too fast for it to hold together in the event of a short range shot.

Luckily those concerns are in the past unless you like handicaps.

A guy in the market for a new rifle can certainly buy a 30-06 and go kill a moose or whatever else. He can also absolutely poleax a moose or elk or deer or caribou or lower 48 bear, with less recoil, less length, less weight, less wind drift and a flatter trajectory. And I'm not guessing.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Rifle choice

I'd lean toward a Savage 110 in 30.06. Ammo choices galore for the different game you going to face in North America, affordable and hard to beat for accuracy out of the box. I own one and love it for hunting. The 110 with synthetic stock isn't gonna be bothered by weather. It's not pretty, but it is functional.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe in after the decision's been made, but I like .308. I have a couple of 7.62x51s also, and there's just a truckload of that ammo you can fire in the .308 (but not vice versa). I picked up a Win 70 in 7mm Rem Mag to reach out and touch someone, but .308 is much favored by snipers these days. Depending on the bullet, it can take down just about anything.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd choose the .3006. It is the most useful of the highpowered cartridges with more choices in loads than anyone. You can go heavy (220 gr) for BIG game or even down to accelerators (55gr) for coyotes. You can usually find this caliber in most places ammo is sold. :yesway: Sizes range from 55, 110, 125, 147, 150, 165, 168, 170, 180, and 220---I think that's about it.

Ditto what he said. The rifles and ammo are everywhere and the variety of loads available range from mild to wild.
    Second choice is the .270
    7mm 08 is a quite commonly overlooked cartridge as well. Light recoil with a pretty good knock down power.
    I'm convinced that the Rem 700 is the best hunting rifle for the money regardless of the caliber chosen.

Top Bottom