• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    im looking for a shooting range to go to for target practice. i went to the local range, about 5 minutes away and got denied because im not 21. im willing to drive a bit depending on location. im looking for one thats close to NW indiana near merrilleville/schererville area.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Hey dude, that sucks you got denied. I'm guessing you went to blythe's in valpo? Anyway, I believe unless you're 21 you're going to get denied in about 99% of places. I know at Deb's you have to be 21, or with an adult.
    I suppose a way in would be to get a 21 year old friend to go with you. I'm not 100% sure, but luck to you anyway! :ar15:

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    Jasper-Pulaski state park has open ranges (wen. - sun.) that are free. it is where i go to shoot most of the year.
    Willow Slough also has ranges, but i have never been there. all you need for the DNR sights is a permit if you are fireing handguns.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Jasper Pulaski -

5822 N. Fish and Wildlife Lane
    Medaryville, IN 47957
    (219) 843-4841

As was stated, though, you can't shoot DNR sites, which both of those are, without a permit. Do you have a permit???

I think you'd have better luck finding someone that has their own range and spending a weekend with them. Somebody that doesn't care about age, permits, etc..

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you are safe and polite, you will be welcome at nearly any gun club, regardless of age. Shooters understand that if they don't foster the hobby in younger people, that they will soon see their sport die out. Try North Porter County Conservation Club (npccc.net). Some people have complained about membership requirements, but they are a nice club run by a good group of shooters. They are between chesterton and valpo, from Merriville a 30 minute drive.

Also, most clubs do not require membership to shoot club matches. You seem to say that you are looking for a place where you can do some unstructured practice, but if you just want to shoot, try attending a match. Sometimes, after the match is over you would be able to use the range for a while, if you want to work on something.

Steel challenge is a good way to start, but IPSC and IDPA are also a good time. If you own a revolver, consider ICORE (international coalition of revolver enthusiasts??) its a revo only match.

I know a match may not be what you are looking for, but I'd encourage you to consider it. I have never been to a match where someone was looked down upon for being a poor shot or not having the right equipment. Conversly, if you are friendly, people may even suggest ways to improve. Shooters are the friendliest bunch. I have had several guys lend me the entire rig just so I would shoot a match. Gun, belt, holster, mag pouches, even the ammo. The only thing they wanted in return was that I return to shoot another match.

Dont be scared to be the new guy. When you pay the match fee, tell the person taking the money that you'd like to be squaded with someone who can show you the ropes. It will be an invaluable experience and a way to make friends with someone who has already made all the mistakes you are about to make.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    permit is in the process. there is a club in griffith, the isaac leaugue i think and it also says it requires a membership, its like 65 a year. i heard about a gun club in whiting that has a 24/7 range, and all you do is pay 20 a year to be in the FOP.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you don't mind driving for an 1.5 hours, there is also a shooting range at Winamac Fish and Wildlife Area. It is open Tues-Sun, hours 8-5 Eastern Time. Like Jasper-Pulaski, it is also free, but you will need your LTCH permit with you, as they check periodically.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    That's up to where you live. Some cities may not allow the discharge of a firearm within the limits, maybe (I've never lived in a city, but I've heard that some cities have this)

Top Bottom