• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Pulease just because it has that green paint....used there compact tractors also they leave much to be desired for there price point...

I had to crack up at the comment about green paint! YES! Apparently that paint is really, really, really expensive. IndyJohn was insistent on a big green tractor too...but that pricey paint puts it just out of reach.

If you have time, look up a YouTube channel called Outdoors with the Morgans. The guy has a Ranger and uses it on his property. He's pretty good at explaining pro's and con's too. We picked our Gator for similar reasons and it was a purpose driven choice. I was VERY skeptical about the price tag...because at that price it should really bring you a cocktail and offer you a foot massage! We ended up purchasing a dealer test model so we were fortunate to pay the 'used' price for a 'new-ish' Gator. I'll admit that I am grateful we have it when we are pulling huge logs out of our woods. It makes regular maintenance of trails so much easier. Best of luck with your purchase, happy hunting!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Will do. Ive owned several UTVs over the years and this one has served me better than the others.... Pulease just because it has that green paint....used there compact tractors also they leave much to be desired for there price point...

No, no sparky, stay on topic here. You don't get to distract. Let's look at the numbers and then you can explain how your UTV runs circles around mine, regardless of the color. And nobody was talking about tractors.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I had to crack up at the comment about green paint! YES! Apparently that paint is really, really, really expensive. IndyJohn was insistent on a big green tractor too...but that pricey paint puts it just out of reach.

If you have time, look up a YouTube channel called Outdoors with the Morgans. The guy has a Ranger and uses it on his property. He's pretty good at explaining pro's and con's too. We picked our Gator for similar reasons and it was a purpose driven choice. I was VERY skeptical about the price tag...because at that price it should really bring you a cocktail and offer you a foot massage! We ended up purchasing a dealer test model so we were fortunate to pay the 'used' price for a 'new-ish' Gator. I'll admit that I am grateful we have it when we are pulling huge logs out of our woods. It makes regular maintenance of trails so much easier. Best of luck with your purchase, happy hunting!

Im not trying to be rude. I just think for the price point the 825 UVs are nutty at 16k or 18k. Ive hauled alot of fire wood and ran the snot out of mine for 8k new. I get the JD stuff has a cult following I know we run many pieces of their equipment on our family farm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was shocked the one time I stopped to look at UTVs outside Cabelas. Holy hell, One of them was just about $1500 shy of the sticker on my brand new 2012 Kia Forte! That's nuts!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No, no sparky, stay on topic here. You don't get to distract. Let's look at the numbers and then you can explain how your UTV runs circles around mine, regardless of the color. And nobody was talking about tractors.

The OG: "I don't think that's good form calling another member names".

Me: "That's his handle".

The OG:
    images

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The problem is I use it like a tool and my teenagers think it's a racing buggy. Have you ever ridden in one of these little things at 40mph?? It's scarier than a dirt bike through the woods!
    I rode in a buddies Ranger, and was not a fan of his driving.

Mine is the slowest one on here, and I’m ok with that, for now. But like you, I use it as a tool, and one of those logs wouldn’t fit in the bed of a Ranger.

Just like guns, you have to pick the right tool for the job. I have more need for a miniature dump truck than I do for a really fast mud bogger. You seem to have found the best of both worlds.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Im not trying to be rude. I just think for the price point the 825 UVs are nutty at 16k or 18k. Ive hauled alot of fire wood and ran the snot out of mine for 8k new. I get the JD stuff has a cult following I know we run many pieces of their equipment on our family farm.

It's far more capable than I've challenged it to be. It has never said no to pulling - I should have a tractor for this - stupid big oak logs up steep hills or my God are you really going to put another 32" round on me. No, it wasn't cheap but it has far surpassed my expectations of it.

BTW OG, I need a tractor.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a 2005 Yamaha Rhino i bought used 3 years ago. Have been very pleased with it. Every time I use it I am thinking how handy it is for chores around the property. Make everything easier and more efficient. Lots of aftermarket and inexpensive parts available for it too. If you watch the ads you can usually pick up a Rhino for way less than a Ranger. I have a friend who has a Ranger, nice machine, but I would not hesitate to buy another Rhino.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I really want a UTV, but first I need to have a piece of land that's big enough to justify it. For now, my John Deere lawn tractor is my UTV, and it does come in handy. When I'm getting loads of mulch in bulk, I can hook up my 5x8 utility trailer to it and load it down with almost a cubic yard of mulch and haul it around the yard to spread it where it needs to go. I'm skipping mulch this year I think, but I typically buy at least 5 to 7 cubic yards a year. Beats the heck out of a wheelbarrow. (Although the wheelbarrow does come into play for some beds.)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I looked into mules and they are good machines , used one at work a diesel one and they had a kubota diesel rtv too. Both good machines in different ways.
    Looked at a rhino and always been a Yamaha person but ended up with buying a polaris Ranger 800xp. Wow what a difference from my grizzly 600 that I had used to death.
    didnt look at Kawasaki’s just because there weren’t any for sale at the time.
    John Deere is great but we’re out of there minds and with any utv you buy you have to look at service and cost of ownership.
    american landmaster.. built just outside Columbia city makes some good machines. Friend had one and it was only 2wd but was powered by a lawn mower engine so it’s power delivery was not quite suitable for me and only 2wd would not work for me
    There are so many brands and the market supports them .. even the knock off brands are expensive, can’t remember which one but it’s basically a Yamaha rhino in every way but doesn’t say Yamaha on it. That company duplicated the machine and Yamaha parts work it. So look at reviews and be wise it was a good machine for what it’s worth I just wish I could remember the name of it.
    Everyone has an opinion and like mine just trying to give Information. Go drive some and see what suits you best. You really can’t go wrong with any of them

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My stripped down 4x2 Gator hauls me and the toddler around our neighborhood just fine.

I've hauled deer and a deer stand with it but that's about the extent of the "strain" I've put on it.

db239fdc6be88e50dc4787853f7c52b4.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd recommend the Polaris Ranger 570. It is very reasonably priced and is tough and reliable. The 570 gets outstanding fuel economy and is connected to a CVT that was designed for the 900, so the 570 will never stress it out.

I've got a Rzr 570 and I plow snow with it. It has the same powertrain. i've had it since 2016 and have had zero issues. The little thing can go 200 miles on a tank of gas, when trail runnning, too. I also think Polaris has the best 4wd system. It kicks in automatically and doesn't need lockers because it is 100% locked when it kicks in. Others will have locking front diffs or limited slip front diffs, or even open. I've owned several and the Polaris system has clearly been superior in the worst conditions.

I like the Gators a lot. However, we've got one at our school that we work pretty hard. It is holding up very well, but it has had some problems here and there. I think it is a 650. It cost a ton more than a Ranger 570. I think maybe $7k or so more. It does have an enclosed glass cockpit and a heater, which is nice, but it was very expensive and in the 6 years or so we've had it, it has been in the shop at least three times for issues. They were all fixed, though and it soldiers on in good shape. Btw, the Polaris 4x4 system beats the Gator's hands down. Our Gator at best has a limited slip front.

Just my 2 cents. If I were buing a new one, I'd save some $$$ and go with the Ranger 570. I'd bet a used one can be found on the cheap, too.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure all the major brands make very good ones.

Top Bottom