• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bnax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    South Eastern Indiana
    I have been debating getting an AK 47 for a while now, I have looked at arsenal slg 21. I have also looked at the saiga and doing the conversion. I know many people feel strongly about these guns and also country of origin.

I am open to other options as well.

Just looking for some input on the best bang for the buck.

Thanks

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    best bang for the buck brand new would be a saiga hands down!......cant beat the price!!! however polish underfolders or polish tantals (ak74's) are great buys right now and the polish do make a quality ak

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They mostly all work well, if you want cheap go with a WASR, they have some annoying aspects but mostly shoot great. There are mid range ak's, and high end as well. You won't be sorry with an Arsenal, it really depends on what you want to spend. If you just want one to take out every once in awhile and blow jugs up with a Wasr does the trick. And they look the part as well. I have a couple of mid range ak's and they do it for me.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    you can buy a sagia for less than that in a number of calibers then you could convert it at a later time for not all that much more..... plus a whole lot better quality than a wasr 10..... dont get me wrong the wasr is good for what it is but at $450 ill pass you can buy much higher quality ak's in the classifieds for about $500

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I get as much enjoyment from shooting my cheapest AK ($300) as I do my most expensive ($700ish). If you are new to the platform, you may want to go towards the lower end to start. A used WASR will give you an idea whether you like the platform.

They do roll through the classifieds regularly and there si a good deal on a Maadi there now.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    They mostly all work well, if you want cheap go with a WASR, they have some annoying aspects but mostly shoot great. There are mid range ak's, and high end as well. You won't be sorry with an Arsenal, it really depends on what you want to spend. If you just want one to take out every once in awhile and blow jugs up with a Wasr does the trick. And they look the part as well. I have a couple of mid range ak's and they do it for me.
    yeah the days for the wasr being the best deal are limited with mass importation of saiga's i payed $350 for mine last year at dunhams on black friday i do like it as a plinker but i wouldn't spend a dime more for one.... and i agree Arsenal makes a great ak for a bit more money

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    i just picked up a polish underfolder outta the classifieds this weekend. shoots great! was only 500 with the mags and a little ammo. i think this deal would be hard to beat if you can find another. i have seen them in the classifieds few times now.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    i just picked up a polish underfolder outta the classifieds this weekend. shoots great! was only 500 with the mags and a little ammo. i think this deal would be hard to beat if you can find another. i have seen them in the classifieds few times now.
    we all knew you would love it (still need to install my trigger group in my polish underfolder build) and im ready to test fire mine... got to love the wood on these polish ak's

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    For my money, an AK's fit and finish matter very little. The beauty of these things is that with minimal care, they go bang. If you want to throw more money into putting lipstick on a pig, go for it. However, I'd rather have a couple of spare platforms lying about than one uber-nice AK. If money isn't an object for you, then go for it. It's not my money, spend as you see fit.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    yeah the days for the wasr being the best deal are limited with mass importation of saiga's i payed $350 for mine last year at dunhams on black friday i do like it as a plinker but i wouldn't spend a dime more for one.... and i agree Arsenal makes a great ak for a bit more money

Good point, I haven't priced the Wasr for awhile now I didn't realize they had gone up. I'm a fan of the mid range guns, Maadi's, Polish guns, etc...

bnax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    South Eastern Indiana
    Thanks and top 5?

Thank you all very much for all of the info. Its all very helpful. If you were going to look around the board here for someone selling them. How would you rank you top 5?

1 polish
    2 Maggi
    3 saiga / converted
    4 ?
    5 ?

Thanks again
    Brandon

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you all very much for all of the info. Its all very helpful. If you were going to look around the board here for someone selling them. How would you rank you top 5?

1 polish
    2 Maggi
    3 saiga / converted
    4 ?
    5 ?

Thanks again
    Brandon

If I had to personally rank a few from WORST to BEST:

5. WASR
    4. Interarms / Waffen Works
    3: Polish / Maadi
    2: Saiga
    1: Arsenal

Keep in mind that I've ranked the Saiga as 2nd best, HOWEVER, I've seen some really **** poor conversions out there. Too many people fall into the "get it done cheap" crowd and end up spending money on crap... like tapco T-6 stocks and such. Done really well, they will be identical to an Arsenal when finished, but most people don't have the skills or resources to really go to the detail that Arsenal does (such has welding the old trigger pins in and installing a real gas block and FSB).

You've also got your "collector" AK variants out there like the PolyTech Legends and such. Not necessarily better or worse than an Arsenal, but MUCH more valuable.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have an Egyptian Maadi, and while admittedly I haven't shot it enough to form a valid opinion about the accuracy, the reliability has been there. Without shooting from a bench rest, I really can't blame (or credit) the accuracy on anyone but me. My opinion of my accuracy with it is pretty low... :):

Top Bottom