Looking for an accurate .22 LR hunting rifle < $500...Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love my Ruger American rimfire. Very very accurate little gun. Not many believe me because I no longer have the target, but locked down in a lead sled with the right ammo, I saw 5 shot 1/4" group at 100 yards. I wanted to go with a CZ, but the fact this takes 10/22 mags and I have one of those as well, was a deal maker.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I may catch some flack for this, but here goes. I bought a Marlin 795 for either of my kids to carry if they wanted to go squirrel hunting with me. I put an inexpensive Barska scope on it and was very impressed with its accuracy. I have since sold my 10-22 and my Henry. I can cover 10 shots with a quarter if I do my part. As far as ammo, I only feed it CCI Minimags.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I love my Ruger American rimfire. Very very accurate little gun. Not many believe me because I no longer have the target, but locked down in a lead sled with the right ammo, I saw 5 shot 1/4" group at 100 yards. I wanted to go with a CZ, but the fact this takes 10/22 mags and I have one of those as well, was a deal maker.

I believe you because I have and shoot one. Mine is threaded and 99% of the time I shoot it suppressed. My grandsons love it almost as much as I do!
    Dan

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can find one, in decent shape, I'd look at an old Mossberg bolt action model 144 or 146.
    Very nice rifles and usually about half of your $500 budget.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a Savage BV... it shoots sub moa at 50 yards so it it very accurate.

Three things I don't like about many .22 rifles for hunting... a magazine that hangs down, a rifle that is too heavy, or a century old stock design that doesn't take into account that almost everyone uses optics nowadays (comb height stinks on most rifles).

You might look at the Savage B22-FV, Marlin XT-22TR (tubular magazine) or as someone mentioned the Ruger American.

My dream squirrel gun, if you want to blow the budget (<$600), would be a Browning SA-22.It's just so light (probably a pound or two lighter than others) and handles so well. Not the best for mounting a scope, but if you can find a nice low profile scope like a 25mm objective, it's not too bad. The scope mount cantilevers on the barrel and if it's a takedown version, the scope stays on the barrel.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm content with my 10/22 as a hunting gun (75 yards and in, mostly 50 yards and in).
    It does wear a Volq hammer and the bbl is stock, shot a bunch...........but the gun is from the 60's.
    Is not a barrel band model :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Like it much more than my Rem 541T-HB (it went bye bye).
    Had a Sav/Anschutz 141 that was pretty decent.

Might get a Ruger American. Need something that can take some abuse.

I too hate mags that hang down and low comb stocks.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'll be the lone standout. Love my Henry. I can cover 15 rounds with a quarter at 50 yards with the iron sights. When the scope is mounted and it's parked in my Lead Sled I can still do that at 100 yards. Customer service is second to none (and yes, you can call Anthony Imperato and he'll take your call. I've done it twice). The lever action is buttery smooth and at 5.5 lbs it's very easy to carry all day.

I believe they are on sale right now at Rural King.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Call me crazy as well I guess, I still enjoy the crap out of my Marlin 981. Was my first rifle and is a solid performer, with any ammo. Tube fed bolt action with smooth function and good accuracy. With CB shorts it might as well be suppressed. :) wife always grabs the 10-22 and it's fun to shoot but for accuracy my Marlin gets picked up.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm going to throw another vote for the Ruger American. In our house we have 3 of the 22 lr version, 2 standards and 1 compact. Both the standards with 12x max scopes will average 5 shot groups @50 yds in the .5" range with at least a couple of mid priced ammo. My compact with its 7x max scope will still do .6" groups at 50 yds, and is my go to small game rifle. Those are groups off sandbags, too. With better ammo, more X, and a lead sled rest I wonder how much better they'd be.
    Excellent trigger out of the box, replaceable stock modules to adjust length and comb height. Plus as already mentioned uses 10/22 mags. Lots of different versions, wood and different colored plastic stocks; long, short, light, mid weight barrels. Iron sights, no sights, target sights. Scope rails, receiver grooves, d&t for Weaver bases. Take your pick.
    Not to mention with a $500 budget you can get the rifle and a good piece of glass and have a few $ left over. Cheap enough that if it gets a few dings in the woods its no biggie.
    Hate to sound like an advertisement for Ruger but I really like them.

Slonsteady

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I shot my brothers Savage bolt action and it is very accurate. Sitting and resting on my elbow on my knee with a red dot my best group was four in a ragged hole at 35 yards. I am getting a RAR 22lr standard for Christmas, I test shot it free hand at 25 yards with the iron and was very happy. It will get a RD or 3x9-32 for hunting depends what works best for these 57 year old eyes. I was sold on the flush mag and adjustable comb, and trigger all for under $300.00. You wont blow your budget with either of these hinting rifles.

Slonsteady

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Henry is impressive

This is impressive shooting. I was soo tempted to get The Henry, but settled on the Ruger American just for the bolt and mag features. I may have to work one of these into next years budget. I am happy to be shooting 22 once again.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have an old Remington 552 Speedmaster...bought it the year my twins were born; 1980. I`ve killed a TON of squirrels with that old rifle. At the time I bought it, and I can`t recall what it cost at the time, but I know it was all I could do to come up with that money. I rarely hunt squirrels anymore these days. All I want to know about are white-tails and Eastern wild turkeys. That old Speedmaster is plenty accurate enough for killing grey squirrels, but one of the many sicknesses I have, aside from desperately needing every knife and gun I see, is a sickness in which none of my groups, no matter how tight, are good enough. If money were no object, it would be wonderful to put together a CZ 452 rig with a great scope, figure out what ammo it likes, and proceed to produce framing quality targets featuring 5-shot groups which appear to have been shot only once or twice.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Marlin Golden 39A

"I also like the Marlin 39A if you're into lever actions. Haven't shot their newer ones, but could probably get an oldie if you don't mind a little character"

^^^This gets my vote. Especially since it was my first rifle..New in the Box for $89.95....Try getting that today...Bill.

PS: This was purchased in 1968...

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have an old Remington 552 Speedmaster...bought it the year my twins were born; 1980. I`ve killed a TON of squirrels with that old rifle. At the time I bought it, and I can`t recall what it cost at the time, but I know it was all I could do to come up with that money. I rarely hunt squirrels anymore these days. All I want to know about are white-tails and Eastern wild turkeys. That old Speedmaster is plenty accurate enough for killing grey squirrels, but one of the many sicknesses I have, aside from desperately needing every knife and gun I see, is a sickness in which none of my groups, no matter how tight, are good enough. If money were no object, it would be wonderful to put together a CZ 452 rig with a great scope, figure out what ammo it likes, and proceed to produce framing quality targets featuring 5-shot groups which appear to have been shot only once or twice.
    I have 2 of the Speedmasters. They are fun guns to shoot. Plus they shoot shorts, long and long rifle. Mine are not match accurate but they do shoot minute of squirrel just fine.

Top Bottom