• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Ok so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm building my first AR and am missing just the lower. I found an Anderson stripped lower (already have a parts kit) on Cheaper than Dirt for $43 but need it shipped. The issue is that in my area (Seymour) the FFL transfer fees bring the lower to within $10 of what those stores sell em for. I was wondering if there is anyone here on INGO who would do an FFL transfer or order the lower and I can pick it up and pay from there. Provided the fee isn't so high that i could just walk into the local store and pick one up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    OP

You are getting good advice from everyone so far. Buy local if you can. Helping to keep their doors open will help you in the long run if they are a good shop. $10 is cheap money for building a relationship. Ask the LGS if they will budge a little on the price.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I ordered one of those Anderson stripped lowers a couple of months ago straight from Anderson for only $49.90.

Screw CTD

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You're paying $30 for transfer fees? What a joke. Don't ever go back to that shop.

The pawn shop in Columbus does $20 per form if everything comes in on one order from one online store. That means that if I buy 5 lowers, it's $20 total for the transfer. But you HAVE to go in before the transaction or call them to make sure everything's agreed upon. There's some idiots in there that don't know their own policies. Last time I did that, they tried to charge me $20 per gun at check out, and I had to inform them of their own policy and previously agreed upon transaction.

US Defense Solutions on the south side of Indy does transfers for $15 per gun. And those guys up there are great to deal with.

Have you talked to ACME Sports in Seymour? They're usually pretty good in my experience. I've told them what other places charge, and they've matched prices for me before.

how much did it cost after transfer and shipping? See shipping brings the lower to $53 for me and the transfer brings it to $83

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    You're paying $30 for transfer fees? What a joke. Don't ever go back to that shop.

The pawn shop in Columbus does $20 per form if everything comes in on one order from one online store. That means that if I buy 5 lowers, it's $20 total for the transfer. But you HAVE to go in before the transaction or call them to make sure everything's agreed upon. There's some idiots in there that don't know their own policies. Last time I did that, they tried to charge me $20 per gun at check out, and I had to inform them of their own policy and previously agreed upon transaction.

US Defense Solutions on the south side of Indy does transfers for $15 per gun. And those guys up there are great to deal with.

Have you talked to ACME Sports in Seymour? They're usually pretty good in my experience. I've told them what other places charge, and they've matched prices for me before.

Yeah they are charging $35 per receiver and they wont match Bite The Bullet just two streets down. at $20

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    spectre-

I've done a lot of business with both ACME and BTB and both are great gun stores. Those transfer fees are part of how they make money and are probably a little higher than they normally would charge. However, my bet is they have several lowers in stock and thus are trying to encourage you to buy one that they have. $15-$20 is pretty typical for what most places charge for transfers.

Honestly if $10 is going to make or break you building an AR, then you probably shouldn't be going down that path anyway.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    +1 for helping out the local LGS owners keep the doors open.

Have met a LOT of good folks, both owners and customers, even just browsing around the LGS. 'Curiously', most of them also seem to be fellow firearms enthusiasts! 'Odd', hunh? :laugh:

Who knows, with a bit of dickering and the right LGS, ya just might match your current price goal, and maybe make a new friend or three. :thumbsup:

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    Ok so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm building my first AR and am missing just the lower. I found an Anderson stripped lower (already have a parts kit) on Cheaper than Dirt for $43 but need it shipped. The issue is that in my area (Seymour) the FFL transfer fees bring the lower to within $10 of what those stores sell em for. I was wondering if there is anyone here on INGO who would do an FFL transfer or order the lower and I can pick it up and pay from there. Provided the fee isn't so high that i could just walk into the local store and pick one up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    In my area (Northeast Indiana), I see gun shops going out of business all of the time. They can stick around for a year or two, but often shut their doors once they realize that most newe guns are bought online or at the big box stores (gander etc). They try to survive on gunsmithing and used guns with the occasional new gun sale. Dont buy from the big overpriced box stores and online. Lets suppport our local gunshops!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Four Guns in Lafayette (out of your area, I know) is $15.

That being said, in California, a good price for FFL transfer fees *average* about $100.

If you have ever tried to sell a gun to a California resident and went through all the documents, delays, waiting for the authorities to allow the first step, etc, you would think $100 is not enough money for the bother. If it was not a multi 1000 dollar shotgun, I would not have gone through the deal.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Sill absurd when others are charging $15.

I dunno. "Absurd" might be a little too far. The stores have different clientele, different situations...hard to say one is totally wrong for charging more if their situation requires it. Like someone pointed out...to some, even the $100 charged at some California FFLs might not seem unjustified if you consider how much BS the California State Government puts you through to try to do a simple transfer. In California, abusing the law to make backdoor prohibitions on legal actions is a matter of course...as it is anywhere where the party of the Klan flourishes (that is, the Demoratic party).

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have run into the same issue as the OP. Local price is 'almost' as good as internet. I agree, that simply going local is best, and then also build a relationship with the LGS. Sometimes when they get in a trade, and they know it is something you are interested in, then they can help you out too.

Top Bottom