• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LZMack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Vanderburgh Co.
    Our two English setters are terrific quail dogs and beloved family members. They're getting up in age (13 & 14) and after much deliberation my husband and I have decided we'd like to find a setter pup that we can train alongside our "old pros" while they are still eager to hunt. We're looking for an old-fashioned, close-working foot-hunting dog (as opposed to one from field-trial lines) that will come to us well-socialized. Can anyone recommend a responsible breeder within reasonable driving distance from Vanderburgh County?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I was going to say the best Setters I ever crossed paths with in Indiana were some guys from the Muncie area who worked dogs regular at Wilbur Wright (decades ago) but usually when you see a pocket of interest it is for a reason.

LZMack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Vanderburgh Co.
    Thanks, ruger, I will give Mr. King a call.

Zoub, please forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by "usually when you see a pocket of interest it is for a reason." Is that a good or a bad thing?

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I will call a guy in Kentucky to see if he has any litters coming, I have a good Setter from him with alot of Grouse Ridge Blood. I will keep you posted thru a PM. On a side note if anyone has an FDSB registered female English Setter, I have a no quit male stud I would like to get some pups from.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks, ruger, I will give Mr. King a call.

Zoub, please forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by "usually when you see a pocket of interest it is for a reason." Is that a good or a bad thing?
    It's a good thing. I love Setters from youth in Nebraska. You don't see a lot of them in Indiana. When I was in college to escape reality I would head down to Wilbur Wright. Surprised me to see guys working Setters. I imagine that breeder may have been around even then. Somebody was driving that to see so many Setters around there 30 years ago.

We saw a great Setter today while out in the kayaks. Guy lives upstream from us, they are very popular here for the grouse hunting and this area is considered the grouse capital of North America. I see them daily and lots of chicks right now too.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I had a Samoyed dog for twelve years. He was part of the family. If I ever get a dog again I'm definitely going to consider the English Setter. I love how the look and love the orange color in them.

turn4chatter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Probably not what your looking for since most of what you will see here are not pups but if someone is looking for a pet setters are great and it may be worth a look. High energy but great dogs. I have not dealt with them before but they seem to care about who they place there their dogs with.

Ohio English Setter rescue

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My English Setter bit me last week and I am just finishing off the antibiotics and got him out of quarantine per the counties instructions..My wife said I sounded like someone with "battered wife syndrome" as I spent all week making excuses for him.."He had been drinking", "I shouldn't been yelling and shaking my hand in his face", "He cuddled with me later than night so I know he didn't mean it", etc...

Truth is he is gun shy and overly skittish and a combination of yelling along with hand in face will usually lead to a bite...Geez...I am doing it again...Wife had to leave town due to death in the family so Walker got a "stay of execution" pending her return...That was his third time and each case has always been him scared and somebody reaching for his collar or near his face...Man I just did it again...It's not his fault!!!!!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom