• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've been shooting trap and skeet with a pump and really like it, but it not good for skeet. I'm wanting to start shooting sporting clays as well.

So, I'm looking for an O/U for under 1k. Anything I should be looking at? Or to avoid?

Will go with something that has low recoil aka 20 or 28 gauge

Thanks in advance

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd look for a used Beretta. Maybe you can find one in that price range. 686 maybe?
    One of the Turk made CZs might fit the bill as well. I'm not a huge fan of the fit and finish but decent guns.
    Also you might be able to find a Verona which would be a decent enough gun for under 1000

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    go to a couple gun shows around your area. you should be able to find something you will like. i personally have a ruger red label in 12 guage and love it. you should be able to find a nice ruger, beretta, or browning for slightly under a G. have the cash on you when you shop. be ready to buy. thats the fun.
    Aaron

9MillSBR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Berettas are awesome shotguns, they do have a steep price a lot of the time though.

Although Ive shot two semi auto ruger shotguns and they were a riot.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Used Beretta White wing or Black Wing. They are basically no frills field version 686's. Light weight so you will eat recoil on loads over 1oz but they are in your budget range and come in 26" or 28". Shoot clays all day with it then take it hunting the next. Beretta no longer makes a budget priced O/U and probably never will again since they own Stoeger for that.

Under 1k buy a quality used gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a CZ and I know others that also own them. Despite what some say about Turkish guns, CZ makes some fine firearms. They may not be Perrazi's or Citori's, but they will bust clays all day long. Keep in mind, there really is some snobbery among the clay bird shooters. You can play if you have the budget, but there is no problem in having a beer budget and buying a beer shotgun!

Plus, it's kind of fun to beat the $6000 shotguns with your $600 shotgun!:)

Also, for me, Skeet and Trap are two different guns. My Skeet gun is a 20ga O/U. I shoot a 12ga autoloader for Trap.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love the used Browning Citori 12Ga O/U I purchased at Indiana Gun Club a few years ago. I have shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with it. We just do the clay sports for fun and not regularly, so I just wanted an all-around decent gun to keep. I think I paid $1100.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I love the used Browning Citori 12Ga O/U I purchased at Indiana Gun Club a few years ago. I have shot trap, skeet and sporting clays with it. We just do the clay sports for fun and not regularly, so I just wanted an all-around decent gun to keep. I think I paid $1100.

It would be worth your time to take a trip to Indiana gun club, and check out their used O/U guns. They have several racks worth. Lots of good advice from them as well.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Have you looked at the stoeger condor?
    I second that. Perfectly serviceable gun, unless you're looking to send thousands upon thousands of clays a year to their doom. In that case, a more expensive gun would pale in comparison to the ammo cost.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a friend who picked up the Stoeger Condor last fall. Nice gun for the money.

I really like my Ruger Red Label. Used they can be found for $1000. The 20 guage use receivers that are sized for that gauge. They point nice.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I was just asking about this not long ago as well. I'll just pass along some advice that I received.

Be careful trying to stay under the $1K mark. Guns can be found, but they are not the guns that are meant to be shot 300-400 rounds in a day. If you do find one in that price range (usually marked as a field gun) and you do shoot it a ton in one day, it will beat up your shoulder.

On the other hand, if you are thinking that in any given day, you'll only shoot 1 or 2 rounds of trap/skeet, then that price range is for you and you can always trade up later if you decide to start shooting more.

I'll also second the post above suggesting that you take a trip to Indiana Gun Club to check out their selection. It is the largest, most diverse selection around. They are well versed in helping you find something that fits you & your needs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was just asking about this not long ago as well. I'll just pass along some advice that I received.

Be careful trying to stay under the $1K mark. Guns can be found, but they are not the guns that are meant to be shot 300-400 rounds in a day. If you do find one in that price range (usually marked as a field gun) and you do shoot it a ton in one day, it will beat up your shoulder.

On the other hand, if you are thinking that in any given day, you'll only shoot 1 or 2 rounds of trap/skeet, then that price range is for you and you can always trade up later if you decide to start shooting more.

I'll also second the post above suggesting that you take a trip to Indiana Gun Club to check out their selection. It is the largest, most diverse selection around. They are well versed in helping you find something that fits you & your needs.

That is a lot of shooting! I would think only top level sponsored shooters would shoot that much. That would be 112 boxes per week! At say, $5.00 a box, the spend would be $560/ week or almost $30K per year! Whoo hoo!

In bicycling there is an unwritten guideline that one should spend $1.00 per mile ridden in a year. So if you ride 2000 miles in a year, you should be looking at bikes that cost around $2,000. It does seem to work well. Like the shotgun, you will be more comfortable, ride better and the equipment will last longer.

I bought cheap($600 CZ) for the reason you state. 1-3 rounds per week and if I get hooked, I will buy a properly fitted higher end shotgun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you compete at a lot of the big programs 250 shots is about the minimum. If there is a multi person tie for top dog, it is not uncommon to see each man in the shoot off fire another couple hundred. That is not including a lot of the side games.

I would say that the biggest percentage of entry level shooters would consider 100 shots to be a big day. Of course if your shotgun makes your shoulder hurt after 25, the next 75 are a LOT less fun.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you compete at a lot of the big programs 250 shots is about the minimum. If there is a multi person tie for top dog, it is not uncommon to see each man in the shoot off fire another couple hundred. That is not including a lot of the side games.

I would say that the biggest percentage of entry level shooters would consider 100 shots to be a big day. Of course if your shotgun makes your shoulder hurt after 25, the next 75 are a LOT less fun.

My new one might hurt...:)

Hope you are feeling better!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I just want to thank you for using the acronym for over under. I wouldnt know if you were looking for an under over for under 1000, or an under over for over 1000, or even an over under for over 1000.

Top Bottom