• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm looking to possibly have a 1911 frame/slide refinished. The internets tell me that cerakote is the way to go these days, or parkerized. Do any of you have opinions?

Also, do you know of anyone in east-central IN that does cerakote work?

Thanks.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Cerakote is hard to beat. My 1911 that I shoot competitions with is Cerakoted. No holster wear at all on the slide or frame. And this gun gets holstered and drawn from the holster a lot. AllenM is the go to guy for Cerakoting. Believe me you wont be disappointed with his work.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Avon is a good piece from East Central, IN...

A closer alternative may be Highsmith in Greenfield. I THINK that he does Cerakoating work.

If you're going to be on the greater west side of Indy area, besides AllenM, there's Havlin's Firearms Finishing north of Brownsburg.

see my sig line.

-J-

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Avon is a good piece from East Central, IN...

A closer alternative may be Highsmith in Greenfield. I THINK that he does Cerakoating work.

If you're going to be on the greater west side of Indy area, besides AllenM, there's Havlin's Firearms Finishing north of Brownsburg.

see my sig line.

-J-

I would caution against using Highsmith. I was warned but Unfortunately didn't listen.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I would caution against using Highsmith. I was warned but Unfortunately didn't listen.

Noted.

I don't personally have any experience with them in any capacity (shop, range, 'smithing) - nor does anyone that I talk to on a regular basis.

As with anything - caveat emptor.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Use someone who is highly recommended such as AllenM I used a local guy and my 2 cerakoted glocks chipped almost right away and look like they were spraypainted with big lots paint. So do your homework!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    AllenM preps the hell out of the gun before he cerakotes it. Sandblast, Acetone bath for multiple hours, and he bakes the metal pieces to draw out all the oils that the metal has absorbed to make sure the paint adheres to the surface.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Look up Diamond Collision in my signature line.

That's his "main business".

He'll not answer the phone, but you may be able to leave a message and have him call you back.

-J-

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have worked with AllenM and he has done some pieces for me. I have observed his process start to finish. You will not get any better coating work done around here in my humble opinion.

archeryman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I posted a message on his profile in this forum (don't have enough posts to send pm's yet), and he responded quickly with his phone number if I had any questions. I haven't had any work done yet, but I already like his professionalism. Definitely sounds like a stand-up guy!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I posted a message on his profile in this forum (don't have enough posts to send pm's yet), and he responded quickly with his phone number if I had any questions. I haven't had any work done yet, but I already like his professionalism. Definitely sounds like a stand-up guy!

While I haven't had any work done by him (automotive nor firearms), I HAVE had the honor of meeting him a few times and have shot with him at least once.

And I concur with your assessment. He is good people. And if he can't do the work, he'll tell you.

Top Bottom