Looking for good .40 to carry. Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I bought a Taurus Millineum Pro - Takedown was very rough - had to manhandle - turned out to be defective. I never fired it - loved the look and feel but had zero confidence. I returned it and got a M&P 9C - absoutely love it - very conceable and 100% reliable after 500 rounds.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The M&P .40c was far and away better than all the other guns I tried out before purchasing. Plus you don't have to pull the trigger to take it apart. I bought mine brand new with 4 mags for $450, 1500 rounds later and no problems I couldn't be happier. The slides are stainless steel so rust is not a problem. :twocents:

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a Taurus Millineum Pro - Takedown was very rough - had to manhandle - turned out to be defective. I never fired it - loved the look and feel but had zero confidence. I returned it and got a M&P 9C - absoutely love it - very conceable and 100% reliable after 500 rounds.

I almost bought my wife a Millineum Pro till I took it apart and put it back together. What a pain!

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    i picked up a used Glock 27 for $400. it was from a LEO buddy who only had like 600 rounds through it for qualifying.

man, that's a rockin good deal :rockwoot:
    oh that's not the end of the deal! it also came with the following:

- glock case
    - 3 glock mags (1 had a +0 pearce finger grip extension)
    - speed loader
    - box of hollow points
    - fobus paddle holster

.40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    I have owned a Glock 23 and I sold it almost immediately as soon as I picked up my XD40. I have smaller hands so the Glock's bulky grip wouldn't work for me. I found myself using the end portion of my index finger to pull the trigger which would pull my shot to the left every single time.

My brother offered to trade me his G23 with guide rod laser and 200 rounds of ammo for my XD a few months ago and all I could do was laugh at him.

In the end of it almost all of them will operate the same: flawlessly. Just go with the gun that is most comfortable to you. As soon as you pick up the gun that fits you you will know.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Some are stating that you need to purchase a certain brand so that the gun is reliable when your life is depending on the gun. If you feel that this is a factor, DO NOT buy a pistol, Go purchase a revolver. Otherwise go pick out the pistol that fits your hands and one that you like. Don't beleive that you have to purchase a brand name gun based on what someone else likes. I have a friend that bought Spring Field XD based on what everyone else said and he ended up selling it at a $ loss. He shot a few of mine and end up with a pistol that was completly different than the XD.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just got done doing my testing and trials for just the same reasons you are - though I had no cost consideration. I decided on, and am happy with my M&P 40c, though the Glock 27 may be better for you. Both are outstanding weapons and both are around $600 including tax.

Here's my take on the M&P 40c......

Pro's:
    • Lightweight, not too wide, and easy to carry via several methods.
    • Very ergonomic with a low bore axis which makes point shooting accurately a breeze.
    • At 15 yds and in, it is very accurate. Far exceeded my expectations. In fact, I am shooting better with it than my full sized 1911 right now. :dunno: My shot groups at 10 yds are within an inch with cheap target ammo.
    • Ability to change the size & feel of the grip with interchangeable backstraps. See ergonomics.
    • Easy to clean and maintain.
    • Considered stipulated grips but found it to be unnecessary on this gun.
    • S&W is known to have better customer support than Glock.
    Con's:
    • I don't prefer the M&P 3 dot sight system. Glock White Outlines are quicker getting on target. However, since Glock does not offer night sights in box bar it makes it became irrelevant to me. After speaking to MMC's R&D they will be introducing night sights in box bar for the M&P sometime next year. MMC is currently now making night box bars for the Glock.
    • Trigger take-up is too long and the reset is a bit too long. The Glock 27's trigger is better out of the box than the M&P 40c. Mine will be going to Bowie for an LX Trigger Job to make it more suitable for me this winter when I switch back to my 1911. The 6.5 lb pull isn't that much more than the Glock 27 but the trigger isn't as smooth out of the box and takes some time to work in.
    I haven't had the gun for that long so it's possible I could find other shortcomings, but as of yet, it is basically a more ergonomic Glock with some good solid engineering improvements on the inside. After 500 rounds from several manufacturers in both FMJ and JHP, I have not had any failure to fires. If it did, I wouldn't be carrying it daily :)

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The HK USP was designed around the .40S&W round, the Glock was designed for the 9mm. I had a compact model and it was by far the best pistol I have ever owned/fired. I really wish I would have never sold it. I don't recall much, if any, trouble I ever had with that gun. Unlock my S&W Sigmas (multiple failures), and Glocks (failure to feed rates of under 1%, but still un-nerving). Save your money and buy an HK USP, just make sure it is Variant 1, meaning you have a safety left/de-cocker lever.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hate to sound like a broken record here, but....

Bersa .40 in either the full size 17rd, or the compact 13rd both are around $350 new and come with a lifetime warranty.

Bersa Thunder 40 Review
    BOTTOM LINE: Any one of the Bersa line of pistols which come in full and compact sizes is worthy of consideration, either as recreational shooters or self defense handguns. They will fill the role of either or both, at prices that won’t break the bank.
    t40pduo2.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    SA XD40 subcompact or M&P40 compact.

Without wishing to start a Glock war, I do not recommend Glock .40s. If there is going to be a problem with a Glock, it's more likely to be a .40. Kabooms, jamming issues, etc., all happen much more frequently with the Glock .40s. I do know the G-23 I owned was one of only two factory new guns I've ever owned that was utterly unreliable. Glocks are fine machines in 9mm & .45 ACP. In .40 S&W and .45 GAP, not as impressive, IMHO.

ONTARGET

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    G-27 for reliability and accuracy. Yes accuracy that's right. G-23 for higher capacity and same reliability. HK USP compact for the same but $300 isn't even close not even for beat to death used. Sig P-229 and P-239 are chart toppers again but same issue (not even beat to death used). S&W M&PC and even a S.A. XD compact but I don't own either. I can tell you that the Sigs, Glocks and HKs are great weapons because I own all of them. Anyone who tells you otherwise it's a bunch of fuey!:rolleyes: Would Paul Kersey A.K.A. Charles Bronson lie to you?<<<<<:yesway: Good luck on your .40 purchase!:ingo:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom