• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've had a cast iron Dutch oven for several years but all I've ever really cooked are peach cobbler and some chili.
    I was wondering if anyone has any good, simple recipes that they're willing to share.
    I'll start it off by sharing the peach cobbler recipe that I use. It's very simple but comes out great.
    In a 4-quart Dutch oven, dump in two large cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup, add one box cake mix, and them slice up a stick of butter on top. Put coals underneath and on top of the Dutch oven and it cooks up into a great cobbler.
    The same recipe in a 20-quart Dutch oven is eight large cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup, five boxes of cake mix, and five sticks of butter. By the way, a 20-quart Dutch oven is huge for most people. I only bought one that size because I didn't realize how big it was when I bought it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's one of my favourite Dutch oven recipes, even though I do it on the stove top. I've actually had to double the recipe at times, because it's so popular with my family. It's darned good. I like to add a little more brown sugar than the recipe calls for. I like it a bit sweet. This is the same recipe I use, but mine's from an older Japanese/Korean cookbook. To get the carrots right just use a peeler and shave the carrots. I also shred the chicken, rather than leave it in parts. Makes it so the chicken absorbs more of the sauce.

Dak Jim Recipe by Flavors of Asia | ifood.tv

bradw266

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here's one that my family loves. Nothing like a hot breakfast in the great outdoors.

Mountain Man Breakfast
    1/2 lb bacon (or pre-cooked sausage)
    Med onion
    2 lb. bag of hash brown potatoes
    1/2 pound of grated cheddar
    1 dozen eggs
    Small jar of salsa (optional)
    The following requires 6-9 bottom coals and 12 -15 top coals:
    Pre-heat 12" Dutch Oven. Slice bacon and onion into small pieces and brown in the bottom of the DO until onions are clear. Stir in the hash brown potatoes and cover; remove cover and stir occasionally to brown and heat potatoes (15-20 minutes) Scramble the eggs in a separate container and pour the
    mixture over the hash browns. Cover and cook until eggs start to set.(10 - 15 minutes) Sprinkle grated cheese over egg mixture, cover and continue heating until eggs are completely set and cheese is melted. Optional: cover cheese/egg mixture with a small jar (~ 1 cup) of SALSA. Cover and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Slice and server like quiche. (Real men don't eat quiche but I sure get lots of requests to cook up the Mountain Man.) Cooking times will vary with the weather and your state of awake but its almost impossible to screw up.
    Serves 6.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Along the lines of your peach cobbler, same thing but instead of peaches use cherry and apple filling. We use to make it when I was in scouts called it Chapple.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Tonight I cooked up a simple and cheap dinner for my family in the DO.

2 packs of Raman chicken flavored noodles
    1 and 1/2 turkey breast (or whatever meat, squirrel is tasty) cubed and browned in turkey bacon grease
    1 egg
    Pepper to taste
    Broccoli chopped

Bring water to a boil, cook for about 5 minutes. Add chicken flavor, stir. Serve. Enjoy.

Doesnt get much more simple than this. My kids and he wife love it.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Try to find a cook book called "Lovin' Dutch Ovens" it is around $20 dollars on amazon. It is loaded with a lot of good information and lots of good recipes.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    It has been abit since I have done dutch oven cooking, however, I know that there are some good ones in the recipe book that the Boy Scouts sell. I might still have a copy around, or be able to find one from a friend. Good luck

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Dutch oven ribs:

Buy some country style ribs or baby back ribs. Cut a big piece of foil that can completely wrap around it, place it in the middle. Make a bit of a box around it. Put some onions on the bottom. Place your ribs on top. Pour your favorite bbq on it. Lots of it. Put some more onions on top. Then, wrap the foil around. Wrap the foil around again.

Put 2-3 of these little packages into the dutch oven.

Heat on low heat for 3-4 hours.

Make sure to use plenty of bbq sauce. If you don't the ribs will get tough (especially the country style ribs).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    we used to make dump cake in boy scouts.

1 box cake mix
    1 stick butter
    1 can fruit pie filling

pour fruit pie filling in bottom
    dump cake mix on top
    cut up butter and put on top of cake mix.

Set on coals, put some coals on top. cook til done. usually took 30 or 40 minutes and was awesome.

capn willie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Pineapple upside down cake

Jiffy yellow cake mix
    1 can pineapple slices
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    12 maraschino cherries
    2 Tbsp butter

Butter in first, add brown sugar, throw in the pinapple, add cherries in each ring, throw in the cake batter

Sorry can't help with dinner recipes - that usually involves
    Chop up potatoes
    Brown some kind of meat
    Cut up onion
    Pour a beer in and cover

Netranger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Lawrenceburg / SE Indiana
    Cottage Hams, Green Beans, Potatoes, Onions...put it all in, including the juice from the green beans, cover it and plop it on the coals. Go for about a 30-45 hike and start eating once you return. Just make sure that there is plenty of liquid in the pot to boil/steam everything without evaporating. If the beans have no juice, then add water or broth. The hams will fall apart...YUMMY!!! Enjoy.

Top Bottom