• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    Hey guys I have a Ruger 10/22 I'm looking to fit out with a scope soon. I am thinking I will be getting the Nikon ProStaff Target EFR 3-9x40. I believe it is a 1" main tube. I wanted to have it set up with a nice set of rings that are quick release and a scope base that would allow me to still see the iron sights if I pulled off the scope and rings. I know they have the see through rings, but I don't like how high up they go. I just want a normal scope setup that I can remove the scope and rings to use just the iron sights, but without removing the scope base. Does anyone know a good "low-profile" scope base that would work with a nice set of quick release rings. I was thinking about the Leupold QRW or something similar for the rings and something like this ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Long-See-Through-Scope-Mount/dp/B003JHSNQ4[/ame]) for the base. Let me know what you guys would suggest for the base and the rings, I don't even know what height to chose on the rings, let-alone with a lower profile base.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have used EGW's picatinny base with some luck, but the stock sights on a 10/22 are pretty low and can be hard to see properly through the base's channel. You might be happier upgrading the sights to a ghost-ring rear sight and front post for use with your scope base by combining something like XS's low/tall weaver backup with a Tech-Sights front post. I have no idea if you would need the low or tall weaver backup, however I suspect the low weaver would be correct.

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    As for ring height, the only reason I can think of that may force you to go higher than mediums on the Warne Maximas is if the scope is hitting the factory rear sight. Even folded down, I have had that issue with a couple of mounts.

The Warne mediums have the bottom of the tube 0.375" above the base, which yields 0.875" to the center. To put it another way, on a horizontal base, the bells can be up to 1.75" before reaching the plane of the top of the base. Since most barrels are contoured in a way that is lower than the plane of the sight base, their is normally even more room for the objective (and scope cap, etc.) The only problem I normally see is with either long-range sight bases (typically with a 15-30 MOA of down built into the design of the base) or when the objective bell or lens cap hits the factory sight.

FWIW, I do not have a dog in the fight, but I might suggest you look at the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x AO (w/ or w/o BDC) which should be pretty close in cost. While I have always found the Nikon glass to be excellent, I have been less than impressed with the turret adjustments on the ProStaff line. Most of my 1/4" @ 100yds have been closer to 1/3" in actual adjustment and I often find I need to "settle" the scope with 1-2 shots after adjusting the turrets (even though I use the +2/-2 adjustment method where I overshoot my intended adjustment by 2 clicks and comeback.)

I will say that, since I started using the +2/-2 method, the adjustments have been predictable and repeatable but they often seem to take a shot or two to settle in to place.

Vette (above) can help you if you want to look at the Vortex line and I am close to Granger if you want to take a look at a couple (I do not have a 4-12x AO, however.)

Also, for somewhat more money I have had very good luck with Weaver's 4-16x Fine Crosshair Dot for target shooting. The 1/4 MOA dot and fine crosshairs can get lost in field conditions, but do great on the range.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've tried this too. I haven't seen a good picatinny / weaver base for a 10/22 that sits low enough to still use the factory iron sights. The low profile scope base / rails only have a couple of recoil lug slots and prevented me from mounting the scope where I wanted when using quick release bases. Cheek weld and eye box were both problems. I'm back to using the lowest rings I could find to mount my Vortex scope (Alan above actually mounted it up for me).

I'd like to know if you find something that works.

SolubleSpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Granger and Purdue
    I've tried this too. I haven't seen a good picatinny / weaver base for a 10/22 that sits low enough to still use the factory iron sights. The low profile scope base / rails only have a couple of recoil lug slots and prevented me from mounting the scope where I wanted when using quick release bases. Cheek weld and eye box were both problems. I'm back to using the lowest rings I could find to mount my Vortex scope (Alan above actually mounted it up for me).

I'd like to know if you find something that works.

Out of curiosity, what bases had you taken a look at? Because they might be alright for me in the mean time.

Top Bottom