• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Looking for a holster maker who will make a "locking" kydex holster wrapped in leather. Want it to look like a leather holster, but Kydex inside. Not looking for those "cross-breed" style of holsters. Also needing magazine carriers with same look and feel as holster.

Will describe in detail when in conversation with holster maker.

Thanks

GONZO!!!

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I assume you mean IWB? The closest thing I know of to what you are talking about is the hybrid holster from Henry Holsters in Bloomington. It's different from the Crossbreed style holsters and he's the only one I know of making this kind of holster. See the review and photos on INGO here https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-henry-holsters-hybrid-iwb-holster.html

There is kydex on both sides of the gun and leather on the back side. However, there is no leather on the front side of the holster as you describe. There is no locking mechanism if that's what you mean by "locking". But the retention is adjustable with a screw so you can make it tight if you want. I don't know if Andrew (amhenry on INGO) would be open to making you a custom one with leather on the outside or not. But it can't hurt to ask. I have the same holster as shown in the link above for my M&P and I love it. He makes great stuff. There are also different options for belt attachments and such (soft loops, metal clips etc.) and you can have it tuckable or non-tuckable. The one in the review above is the tuckable setup. He also does different sweatguard options (full, half, and none/cut flush to the kydex). I recommend the soft loops. They're made of Biothane and are very strong and don't take up much space.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I assume you mean IWB? The closest thing I know of to what you are talking about is the hybrid holster from Henry Holsters in Bloomington. It's different from the Crossbreed style holsters and he's the only one I know of making this kind of holster. See the review and photos on INGO here https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-henry-holsters-hybrid-iwb-holster.html

There is kydex on both sides of the gun and leather on the back side. However, there is no leather on the front side of the holster as you describe. There is no locking mechanism if that's what you mean by "locking". But the retention is adjustable with a screw so you can make it tight if you want. I don't know if Andrew (amhenry on INGO) would be open to making you a custom one with leather on the outside or not. But it can't hurt to ask. I have the same holster as shown in the link above for my M&P and I love it. He makes great stuff. There are also different options for belt attachments and such (soft loops, metal clips etc.) and you can have it tuckable or non-tuckable. The one in the review above is the tuckable setup. He also does different sweatguard options (full, half, and none/cut flush to the kydex). I recommend the soft loops. They're made of Biothane and are very strong and don't take up much space.
    As far as I know, AMHENRY is not taking any custom order at this time. He is working on getting some new stuff set up for faster, more consistent production.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    As far as I know, AMHENRY is not taking any custom order at this time. He is working on getting some new stuff set up for faster, more consistent production.

He is doing that. But I'm pretty sure he's also taking personal orders. He told me last month he started taking orders again from individuals. I don't know about how much customization he's willing to do at this time, though. No harm in asking. I see him frequently but haven't asked in the past month if he's still taking orders now.

Last edited:

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    thank you for the suggestions....I am looking for a holster similar to this one by D&L Sports...this is a leather with Kydex interior...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95.6 KB · Views: 7

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    okay, I have to admit...I am old school. I am tired of half breed holsters and hybrid polymer guns...I love 1911s...I love quality beautiful leather holsters and I love the looks of a 1911 with a little muzzle shine from 100s or 1000s of draws from a leather holster...Currently I am using a BlackHawk Serpa for my 1911 because I couldnt find the leather holster I wanted or could afford...
    I appreciate the speed of the kydex...so thats why I am considering a kydex interior with the beauty of fine leather on the outside. I may just go back to fine leather all the way around and forget the kydex all together

Tired of carrying around my 1911 in an ugly holster, ugly mag carrier ...been carrying a 1911 .45 and only a 1911 since 1980.

Anyone else out there feel the same way about their holsters?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I wouldn't recommend a closed bottom at all, it will catch all kinds of debris in it. Not knocking your choice, I would just have an open muzzle so that crap can fall out the bottom.

I could make one, but the problem would be getting good adherence to the kydex from the leather, and getting good definition on the leather. The cost would be pretty high comparatively as well, as you have the kydex work (easier) plus trying to get the leather to work (not your typical leather job).

You might contact DaKruiser on here to see if he can do it for you. I know he has done custom leather jobs in the past.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Garrett Industries makes great gear. There aren't many holster makers offering the option that you're looking for, simply because it's very labor intensive. Holsters are an item with a fairly high level of price sensitivity for consumers. Granted, guys who want custom leather for a 1911 are usually less susceptible to sticker shock, but the kind of rig you're wanting isn't going to be cheap. I believe that INGOers GruntSoldier and DTrap have experimented with wrapping kydex in leather, but I don't know what their pricing is like, and I've had very little experience with their gear, so I can't give a recommendation one way or the other.

I don't offer the option that you're looking for, but I'm sure that you can find someone out there who does, if you're persistent enough.

Top Bottom