• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Pistol would be easier to manage for her. A full size 9mm with a large capacity mag would be easier to handle in narrow hallways. Basic training in marksmanship would get her up to speed, ready for SD situations. ...

Since you're looking for ideas, I'd echo this, and add that a handgun is also something she can carry if she chooses to do so. A shotgun - not so much.

If it comes back to the shotgun in the end, for whatever reason (like budget constaints, etc.), a woman that small may benefit from a 20 ga, as others have said - especially if it's in a gun of similar weight to a 12. Thing is a lot of 20's are lighter than their 12 ga counterparts, so the recoil ends up being pretty similar. In the same weight gun, then yeah, it's noticeably less.

Best thing might be to get her to a range and try a few shotguns in 12 and 20 with buckshot. That'll tell pretty quickly.

Another aspect of this is fit. Given her size, she'll probably benefit from a youth model, or at least an aftermarket stock with a shorter LOP (unless she's built like a monkey). Fit can affect felt/perceived recoil quite a bit. Louis Awerbuck is of the opinion that 12-13" LOP is about right for most people unless they're really long/tall.

Good luck.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Mossberg 500 JIC. My 12yr old son hands it easily with low recoil loads. It is my bedroom gun. Truthfully I agree with others about using a revolver or semi auto pistol. As mentioned it is easier to move with one thing in your hand if you had to. Be safe and practice practice practice!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    It sounds like everyone has said everything I'd already suggest! I would consider myself small framed lol (5'3" and 135/140 lbs). A handgun (semi-auto), preferably a striker fired one (point and shoot and same pull every time) would be my first suggestion. If a shotgun is a neccessity, then something with a short stock, a youth model maybe, in a smaller gauge. I think a 20 gauge youth model would be absolutely perfect for her. Are there any ranges out there that have shotguns for rent?

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Over the holiday I am visiting relatives down state. My sister in law will be there. Her brother is a gun collector. We are going to fit her for size and see what she likes. I'll let you know.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    The 20 gauge (never mind the brand of gun) is still more than adequate for HD purposes. If you get into your shooting stance with either a handgun or a 18.5" barreled shotgun, the muzzle is almost the exact same distance from your body with both weapons. Less than unwieldy as most folks assume. Training is of paramount importance; still gotta learn to aim, a shotgun doesn't negate the need.

I do tend to agree with this though:
    A 38 or 9mm handgun ... She could take it out of the house if she got her[STRIKE] C.C. permit[/STRIKE] LtCH.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Personally I think pump shotguns suck for newbie shooters. People who know me know I am Pro 870 and pro shotgun in general but logic has to prevail. A 90lb human will not be able to hold a heavy shotgun at the ready for 5-10 minutes. It is a lot easier to hold a flashlight in one hand a revolver in the other. A nice, used, fairly heavy revolver with .38's will save a life.

This person is also likely to practice only once a year, like at the family get togethers around Thanksgiving.

Gauge is second to fit and ability to handle and operate the gun. Off the rack guns are for people + or - 5'10". An excellent choice for her would be the Remington compact Jr. in 20 gauge. It has reduced LOP and only an 18" barrel. 20 gauge will be 1-1.5lbs lighter than a 12 gauge.

Now you have a 4+1 pump gun she has to learn to operate under stress. That is why my Mom has a revolver with the same capacity. Easy to use, carry when she travels, practice indoors or out. The ladies in my house own and use many guns but the pumps are really for me. They can unleash 12, 20, 9mm, .45 or 5.56 just fine but the pumps are the last choice for them.

For a light weight hell on earth 20 gauge, I have an 8+1 Benelli M2 that is a great bird gun and pure terror when filled with slugs.

Pump shotguns require practice and muscle memory just like any gun. The ladies here shoot clays so they get trigger pulls with shotguns. Most people never reach 50 rounds in a shotgun.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I was in the same shoes not too long ago, and I chose against a pistol for one reason: it is much more likely to have a 9mm round travel through a wall than buckshot. We lived in an apartment, and I didn't want something crazy to happen. I ended up getting a Mossy 500 tactical. Adjustable stock, lightweight, and short barrel. My wife was scared as all get out before shooting. We took her to the range, and loaded one target shell and had her shoot it. Her response? "Wooo! I wanna do more!"

My advice would be to find someone who has a tactical shotgun, and have her shoot it. Then go from there.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... it is much more likely to have a 9mm round travel through a wall than buckshot. ....

Both go through walls with boring regularity. Test below demonstrates 00 buck penetrating 4 interior walls easily.

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 1

Any round that will reliably stop a bad guy will penetrate interior walls. Even rounds that won't reliably stop a badguy, like birdshot, will go through at least 1 wall.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    with harmless velocity on the other side. Theres a point to the overpenetration concern, and its finding a balance. I live in an apartment, I have many options of caliber to use for home defense, I use #5 shot, because I have to find the balance between, mabye not stopping the attacker, and maybe killing someone in another apartment. I can live with not instantly stopping an attacker, because I tried my best to be careful to not hurt others, Im not sure how Id do, if I killed an innocent person, trying to defend MY life. This is a big responsibility, and you have to consider everything.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm going to throw out a suggestion of either a Rossi Circuit Judge or a Taurus Judge. 410 is VERY managable and they make some good defensive shells... plus you can go with the 45 Colt if you want.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Remington 870 or a mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. Within the confines of a house no more than a 20 is needed and she will be able to handle its recoil. 12 gauges are the most popular because most untrained people think bigger is better. Same as the old misconception as "I only new to point it in their general direction and they'll explode on impact", and the even more classic "when they hear it rack their flee or surrender to my guns awesomeness"

get her a 20 gauge with training so she will have the mentality to use it and a basic firearms knowledge

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Something that hasn't been mentioned is a pistol caliber carbine. I don't consider myself up-to-speed on the different options available, but I'm certain semi-auto carbines using pistol magazines exist.
    This might provide a shorter/lighter platform with less blast and recoil, while having the hit-potential of a long gun instead of a handgun and holding more rounds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Mossberg 500 Flex in either 12 gauge or 20, with the adjustable rear stock for adjustment. Great dependable gun and very reliable. I'm a Remington 870 guy but would suggest for the price point def snag up the Mossy 500

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    A Mossy 500 is a BAD idea with a pistol grip. You can not disengage or engage the safety with out removing you hand from the grip. If you decide to go with a full size stock or youth stock Mossy 500 all the way. Mossy 500 is also great for left and right hand shooters. If you are sit on a pistol grip 870 is the way to go. And please take training.

Top Bottom