• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I'm looking for information on the previous gun ban that we had.
    I know that I can look it up in google but I fugured that all I will get are one sided (read that as anti-gun results)
    So I am hoping that someone here will be able to direct me to a honest site or report that I can read.
    I'm interested in knowing if the murder rate went way down, etc etc.
    Anybody know where I can find this information?

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    Well I did find this 2004 study. I have included some excerpts below. I have not fully read the report yet, only scanned it. Since I have taked the quotes below out of context of the report, please read it before quoting them

Here is the study: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/research/aw_final2004.pdf

"Specific data on shots fired in gun attacks are quite fragmentary and often inferred indirectly, but they suggest that relatively few attacks involve more than 10 shots fired."
    "On the other hand, the Jersey City study also implies that eliminating AWs and LCMs might only reduce gunshot victimizations by up to 5%. And even this estimate is probably overly optimistic because the LCM ban cannot be expected to prevent all incidents with more than 10 shots. Consequently, any effects from the ban (should it be extended) are likely to be smaller and perhaps quite difficult to detect with standard statistical methods"
    "But a more casual assessment shows that gun crimes since the ban have been no less likely to cause death or injury than those before the ban, contrary to what we might expect if crimes with AWs and LCMs had both declined."
    "Should it be renewed, the ban might reduce gunshot victimizations. This effect is likely to be small at best and possibly too small for reliable measurement. A 5% reduction in gunshot victimizations is perhaps a reasonable upper bound estimate of the ban’s potential impact (based on the only available estimate of gunshot victimizations resulting from attacks in which more than 10 shots were fired), but the actual impact is likely to be smaller and may not be fully realized for many years into the future,"

Top Bottom