• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Tomorrow we can legally gift a handgun to our son. Me being the helicopter parent that I am, I do not want to influence his selection. Understanding I never had the option of choosing so to speak. He has been shooting since he was 6 and is well versed in safe handling. Our plan is to take him to one of the larger stores And have him try as many options as possible. We have left the door wide open so to speak as far as his options, he is kind of leaning towards an AR pistol. But we figured it would be kind of fun to let him test drive a few and see what fits his needs best.

just wondering how long it usually takes to get an idea of what is going to work best, and if we should have him narrow his picks down and revisit it? Also should we have him run a set number of rounds through it to avoid buyers remorse?

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    In my honest opinion, I like your thought process about letting him pick the pistol that suits him, as well as, taking him shopping with the opportunity to shoot (or try before you buy).

As for how long it takes depends on each person individually. My first handgun was a 1911, because that was the first handgun I had ever shot (thanks to the USMC).

In either case, congratulations on your son reaching the age of gun ownership as well as you teaching him gun safety from a very young age.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I don't know if I would want an AR pistol for a first pistol (or only).

But it's his choice.

By "try", do you mean shoot? Or just "hold"
    There is a rather large store in Nashville, where I believe they have close to 50 rentals. So if possible I would like for him to be able to shoot it as well so if possible we get get the best fit for him.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    In my honest opinion, I like your thought process about letting him pick the pistol that suits him, as well as, taking him shopping with the opportunity to shoot (or try before you buy).

As for how long it takes depends on each person individually. My first handgun was a 1911, because that was the first handgun I had ever shot (thanks to the USMC).

In either case, congratulations on your son reaching the age of gun ownership as well as you teaching him gun safety from a very young age.
    Males it a little difficult to relate when much like your self here is your 92 G now I have evolved and it’s a 1911 for me.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    That sounds like a great idea, hopefully he'll find THE one, that will last a lifetime (He'll always remember it!)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    That sounds like a great idea, hopefully he'll find THE one, that will last a lifetime (He'll always remember it!)
    If he goes the route of Handgun versus an AR pistol the next challenge will be finding him a holster that works for him. But I suspect with the right belt he should not have an issue with most of the holsters. But I have to admit I do have a box of holsters lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Most are still searching for the right one... Now the first one? That's usually quick.

I guess I would just tell him not to settle. Take some time, do some research, shoot some. If you have a group of folks that can let him shoot a bit of this and a bit of that. I'd also just say don't try to get to a definite selection by going through a ton of rental guns in one day. Can be overwhelming. Might be best to rule a few out at a time and do that over repeated trips, before getting to the one.

Might also be worth some thinking about if there is a specific purpose for that first gun. EDC? Range toy? Somewhere in between?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I too will caution against an AR pistol right now. ESPECIALLY with the rumblings coming from DC at the ATF right now. He might not be too happy with his selection come the fall if the ATF gets their way. (making them all NFA items)

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    ... But I have to admit I do have a box of holsters lol.
    I think we all have that box full of holsters, pushed back in a drawer somewhere full of stuff we can't use or was a fad long ago.

My son is also reaching that age where he'll own his own firearm. I've given him the best possible advice I can and I let him try out just about almost everything that's handheld and concealable that I've owned or currently own. He likes the Sig P365 overall.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Males it a little difficult to relate when much like your self here is your 92 G now I have evolved and it’s a 1911 for me.
    Why not get him a 1911? Then you both can shoot them together. It's a lot of fun shooting the same type of firearm, and it's a lasting memory. A 1911 will only gain in worth and would be something he would keep for the rest of his life.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Why not get him a 1911? Then you both can shoot them together. It's a lot of fun shooting the same type of firearm, and it's a lasting memory. A 1911 will only gain in worth and would be something he would keep for the rest of his life.
    That is kind of my hope lol. But I want him to pick what he likes best. He has already ruled out a ***** so there is that. Who knows it might be kind of cool to have a once a month Range visit So he can decide over time.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Most are still searching for the right one... Now the first one? That's usually quick.

I guess I would just tell him not to settle. Take some time, do some research, shoot some. If you have a group of folks that can let him shoot a bit of this and a bit of that. I'd also just say don't try to get to a definite selection by going through a ton of rental guns in one day. Can be overwhelming. Might be best to rule a few out at a time and do that over repeated trips, before getting to the one.

Might also be worth some thinking about if there is a specific purpose for that first gun. EDC? Range toy? Somewhere in between?
    Primary a range gun till he reaches 21 or until carry law gets amended here in TN which may come about sooner than later.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That is kind of my hope lol. But I want him to pick what he likes best. He has already ruled out a ***** so there is that. Who knows it might be kind of cool to have a once a month Range visit So he can decide over time.
    Well if he has seen some of Churchmouse's works I bet he'd go for one.

Reactions: wcd

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Make sure he is fully aware of the cost per round for whatever he is considering. It could definitely sway his decision. That and bullet availability in the current climate. Now would not be a great time to start out with a .357 or 5.7 ect...

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    As others have mentioned, find a range that rents out handguns.
    An AR pistol is cool, but not the most versatile option. I have one myself, but it wouldn't be my pick for a first gun.
    He is going to wish he picked a handgun as you are not going to be carrying a AR pistol everywhere with you. (Maybe in a vehicle, but not on your person)
    He might shoot 20 pistols in a day and still not know.
    It's a lifelong process to find the perfect gun for you.
    The micro compacts are the easiest to carry, but they can be difficult to learn on.
    They are light, slim, and short.
    Great for carry, not so great for shooting.
    Compacts are easier to shoot, but are usually thicker and heavier than the micro compacts.
    It may be a good compromise. They can be put into roles of bedside gun and carry gun.
    The Walther PDP compact has an awesome trigger and would probably be my compact pick. Glock 19 and CZ P10C are good options as well.
    Full size guns are even easier to shoot, but they are heavier and more difficult to conceal.
    He might not want to carry a Glock 17 every day. You can't open carry everywhere without upsetting the sheep.
    In an ideal world you would have one of each along with a .22 pistol for cheap practice, and maybe a pocket .380, but a compact seems to be the most logical and adaptable option if you are choosing 1 gun.
    If it's too heavy or big, he probably won't carry it and it'll be as useful as an AR pistol (not on your person).
    9x19 would probably be my pick for caliber.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Congrats, you’re doing it right, dad!!

My only two cents is to maybe temper the cool factor of the AR pistol and think about the skill development available with a regular pistol. That’s just me though, and if he has your fleet available to shoot anytime it may be moot. He would be the coolest kid on the block…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was in a financial position to pretty much buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Single, good income, fruitful investments and no debts allows a lot of budget flexibility. I bought some things that were just fun and interesting but did not keep them long.

For example the Desert Eagle in 50AE. Pretty cool, All my friends wanted to shoot a few (very expensive) rounds. Soon the thrill was gone. It was not a good target pistol. It was not legal for any competitions. I could not hunt with it. It was way too big and heavy to carry. I am sure it was good for defending your city from attacking islamic armies, but I don't have that problem.

It is helpful to keep long term ownership in mind when scratching a short term itch, especially when the intention of the purpose is to keep it for a while.

Top Bottom