• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have an Ontario 498 USMC combat knife. It is pretty much what I want but just a bit too big. I'm thinking something with essentially the same blade shape but maybe only about an inch wide and 1-2" shorter. The handle on my 498 is good enough but a bit nicer in this area won't hurt. Also want a fitted leather sheath for it.
    I'm not really much of a "knife guy" so I'm not real familiar with what is out there. I've been carrying a little $14 pocketknife for the last 15 years or so, so I tend to lean towards the lower spectrum of pricing.
    Any thing out there in the $50-75 range like what I describe?

thanks, Matt

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have an Ontario 498 USMC combat knife. It is pretty much what I want but just a bit too big. I'm thinking something with essentially the same blade shape but maybe only about an inch wide and 1-2" shorter. The handle on my 498 is good enough but a bit nicer in this area won't hurt. Also want a fitted leather sheath for it.
    I'm not really much of a "knife guy" so I'm not real familiar with what is out there. I've been carrying a little $14 pocketknife for the last 15 years or so, so I tend to lean towards the lower spectrum of pricing.
    Any thing out there in the $50-75 range like what I describe?

thanks, Matt

Staying with your Ontario 498 style, you might want to look at the Ka-Bar Short models. Your Ontario is roughly 12" overall with a 7" blade. The Ka-Bar short models are 9 1/4" overall with a 5 1/4" blade. The only drawback I see from what you are asking/looking for is, you will be getting a narrower blade and smaller handle area by going to a shorter blade length.

Link to Ka-Bar short model: KA-BAR Knives, Inc. - Knives > All Categories > Short Black KA-BAR - Hardcore Lives. Hardcore Knives.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom