• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    There are a lot of good suggestions here. I too carry 9mm's. A Glock 17 Gen4 and/or Taurus PT709. I love my full size Glock. 17+1 capacity, great accuracy, and 1,000s of rounds down the pipe with NO reliability issues. It will eat any ammo I feed it!! But, it's bulky and hard to conceal. And though I OC quite often, it's not always appropriate. So I found myself in search of a smaller gun for CC. Originally, I was going to get the Ruger LC9 and would recommend it to anyone looking for a smaller carry gun. But I ended up with the Taurus PT709 because I found one for a great price ($245 used) at my local dealer. So far I'm pretty happy with it. It fits in my pocket, is pretty accurate (as good as you can get with a 2" barrel), and has been reliable so far. I've put around 500 rounds through it with NO issues. You might do well to check out a Glock 19 as well. Mid size 9mm, and if you look around you can find one in your price range.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    coon finger everything you can, hell go to dons guns and shoot the crap out of everything they got, find what you like the best, research quality and buy it. Its not like the gun will blow up in your hand after 3 rounds!! no but glocks are great, beretta..mm..mm.mmm, S&W, i mean come on just get one, shoot it a bunch, make friends that have guns, shoot theirs, buy an AR then really get crazy!

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    M&P and you will be happy. Glocks too. Sounds like the bore axis chases you away from XD. I liked my Glock 17, but I LOVE my M&P .40!

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I can say that after you decide which one fits you the best, it will perform as well as the ones you didn't choose. However, you will shoot best with the one that you have the most confidence in. One of the best shooting guns I've run was a Taurus PT945...single stack 45acp, carried condition 1. Extremely(combat) accurate 4" compensated barrel, quick return to target, but sadly it failed me twice...and it is no longer mine. Now I've picked up the Glock torch(purchased before the xds and m&ps came along) and mine fit me to a tee. If I had to choose now,with more quality choices on the market, I can't say that I would feel uneasy with any of the others, just not in a hurry to fix what ain't broke...just my 2 cents! Try as many as you can and you will find what fits you...then shoot it as much as possible.

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    I bought a Taurus PT 24/7 PRO LS 9mm for my first. I love everything about it. It is no longer manufactured but I hear the G2 series is very similar.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    I had an M&P 40 and it was an absolute dream to shoot I loved that thing. I also had an XD 9mm I liked it but it was much too clunky and odly shapen for me. The Smith fit me like a glove was very accurate and I never had a single reliability issue. My XD however I had two internal parts malfunction on me and a few failure to feeds. They are both great firearms but for me the M&P is second to none.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    the m&p and xd or both great guns. i shot both and the accuracy was pretty much the same for me. i chose the m&p9 with the 4.25" barrel. the xd slide would not always lock back for me on the last round, i dont think it was an issue with the gun, because i shot a few different xd's and they all intermittently wouldnt slide lock on the last round, but i think i was the problem, must of had a thumb knuckle hitting it or something. but the m&p was more comfy in my hands, again thats a personal preference, whats comfy for me might be uncomfortable for you. i like that the m&p does not require a trigger pull for the field strip, and that the guide rod and spring is a single piece assembly, whereas the xd required a trigger pull, and the guide rod and spring are separate. but both are great choices, cant go wrong either way. go to a range, rent both of them, along with some other guns and see what you like the most.

INstormChaser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    I bought a Taurus PT 24/7 PRO LS 9mm for my first. I love everything about it. It is no longer manufactured but I hear the G2 series is very similar.

I'm hopefully picking up one of these bad boys at the Indy gun and knife show in a few weeks and I will have to let you know how it fairs, going to put a few hundred rounds through it as soon as I get it, plan on putting some cheap ammo through it ( aka TulAmmo steel cased 115gr FMJ ) for starters :rockwoot: , then I will go on to the good stuff!

I'll let you know what I think!

Sublime49er247

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    My Taurus PT 24/7 Pro LS 9mm has low recoil and is very reliable.

My buddy that works for the Sheriff's office owns an S&W .40. The last time we went out to the range he was able to place the last 5 bullets within a half dollar circle at 10 yards with my Taurus. He put two in the same hole back to back. He was not able to do that with his .40 the entire time we were there. I know, I know more kick = tougher to be accurate.

bc1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Brown County, IN.
    I love my Beretta PX4 Storm full size in 9mm... It's a smooth shooter with little recoil. I bought it with the INOX slide but would probably buy it in blued given the chance again. Everyone who shoots it really enjoys it.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    The only 9mm I own is an H&K P30 and Like it a lot. All my other handgun calibers start with a 4 or in MAG. A lot of people put down the H&K's but I will never get rid of any of mine. My buddy has a NANO and loves it, I think its too small, but then again i'm 6'3. Good luck.

morrisonhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Dubois county
    XD vs MP

I first bought a XDM 9 and it seemed to shoot low left for me as well as some friends. I sent it in twice and although the Springfield folks were great people it never solved my shooting problem. So I traded it for a Smith MP 9....problem solved. Yes it could have been my grip or even the trigger pull difference, but now I am a happy camper. I bought the MP with the safety and I feel more comfortable carrying it than I do a Glock.
    Best advice...choose the best fit for your hands in each suggested by the forum folks. Then if possible ask other shooters if you can shoot a few rounds with the one that fits the best. Only shoot close to your target (10 yds.) I started shooting at 25 from a bench and did terrible compared to the guys on the TV shows, then read an article that said to shoot close and leave the range feeling good about your self. Then challenge yourself at a greater distance as your get more comfortable with the handgun. Same thing with a bow, knife throwing, tomahawk throwing, etc etc
    Oh, and one more thing, certain pistols shoot certain rounds differently, experiment with several brands to find the best results.

PhilDeez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    I have a Ruger SR40C and love it. It is almost identical to the SR9C. Very easy to carry and conceal. And a boat load of safety features (if thats your thing) IMO it has too many safetys.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Here's some good advice that I have been given. Make sure you buy a high quality gun (pistol). You will always be able to get a high percentage of the money you spent on it back if you decide to get rid of it. That being said, if you get a nice one, you probably won't want to get rid of it.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Here was a list of 9mms I was considering not long ago:

• Beretta 92A1 - $700
    • CZ-USA CZ75 SP-01 - $600
    • H&K P30s -$950
    • Sirsilmaz ST10 EAA - $600
    • Sig Sauer P226 - $900