Drinking your milkshake
    I'll start out with what I have in my entertainment center:

1. TV
    2. Blu Ray
    3. Surround Sound System
    4. Ipod w/ docking station
    5. Xbox/kinect
    6. Wii

My surround sound controls all of the volume via optical cord connected to my TV. I can also have an iPod interface on my TV to switch songs. I know I don't have a ton of remotes to deal with, but I'd like to have a remote that handles everything and I want a touch screen...Something like this:

51VcK81UmIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's probably a bit excessive, but I want one...At the same time, if I'm spending ~$300 on a damn remote, I want it to last awhile.

Anyone here have something similar that has been reliable (ie. the screen didn't just go out for no reason, you've dropped it from a moderate distance and it's still fine, etc). A docking station for the remote on my entertainment center would be nice as well.

Thanks

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's not an app for the ipod? You'd think something like that that could receive IR would be able to send it.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Don't you have a gun? Couldn't you save yourself $300 and just OC to the store and walk out with one like a badass?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There's not an app for the ipod? You'd think something like that that could receive IR would be able to send it.

The docking station my iPod is plugged into can receive IR, so that isn't a problem.

Don't you have a gun? Couldn't you save yourself $300 and just OC to the store and walk out with one like a badass?

I still need recommendations before I pick the one I want to heist.

Get with the program already.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Try one of the "lesser" Logitech's. I have an older model and I love it. You set it up (if you can do the home theater wiring, you can do the remote programming) and everything does work off the one remote. I have a simple-ish setup with a PS3, receiver, and TV but I only use the Logitech remote -- they have a Logitech module for the PS3 that translates IR to bluetooth!

Mine has started chewing thru batteries and I'm looking to replace it with the Logitech 650. I heard it will be about 50 bucks at Best Buy on Black Friday. I'm hoping they put the deal online! I think that many folk would find it meets their needs Logitech Harmony® - 650 Universal Remote Control

For example, I put the remote in "TV" mode and it knows to send the channel commands to the TV and the volume commands to the receiver. Or in "Game" mode, it sends the arrow keys to the PS3... I don't think you'll find an easier remote to setup than the Logitech Harmony's.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Try one of the "lesser" Logitech's. I have an older model and I love it. You set it up (if you can do the home theater wiring, you can do the remote programming) and everything does work off the one remote. I have a simple-ish setup with a PS3, receiver, and TV but I only use the Logitech remote -- they have a Logitech module for the PS3 that translates IR to bluetooth!

Mine has started chewing thru batteries and I'm looking to replace it with the Logitech 650. I heard it will be about 50 bucks at Best Buy on Black Friday. I'm hoping they put the deal online! I think that many folk would find it meets their needs Logitech Harmony® - 650 Universal Remote Control

For example, I put the remote in "TV" mode and it knows to send the channel commands to the TV and the volume commands to the receiver. Or in "Game" mode, it sends the arrow keys to the PS3... I don't think you'll find an easier remote to setup than the Logitech Harmony's.

I had something similar to that before my son destroyed it a few years ago (he's 6 now, so I don't have to hide the remotes anymore:):).

It was a great remote, but I'm really in the mood for a touch screen for some reason.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I had that model but the 1000 I believe. We were on the main floor with the equipment in the basement. Probably 40 feet direct line but three drywall walls and one carpeted floor to cross. We used the RF one with an IR emitter at the source. To do over again I'd make sure the distance is covered by a wire instead of an RF signal. Same with behind cabinets. Just my opinion though.

Also, after 18 months the battery had to be replaced. Like $8 shipped on Amazon but $40 through Logitech. Plus the charger base got whacky and I had to tape the power cord in and then it worked better. Would frequently (once every 2 weeks) need to remove the battery and do a hard reset to get it working again)

couldn't use some of the DirecTV control buttons because they were too close to the edge of the screen to be picked up properly.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've have the Logitech Harmony 550 which I really liked. We still use it, but it's no longer our main remote (one button quit working after 5 years).

The 650 is our main remote now, and can't stand it. Mostly because of the way it goes through batteries, but the numbers wear off really easy, and the screen lights up every time it moves...which in turn uses more battery.

I had the Sony touchscreen..the novelty wore off after a week because it took two hands to change the channel or turn up the volume or do anything for that matter. It was an older model and probably more bulky than the model you show, but if it requires two hands, you may feel the same way after awhile.

I am still a fan of the Harmony's, but I would recommend looking into the Harmony One, or the latest one that has a docking station to recharge.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have the 880, and the battery doesn't contact correctly so I stopped using it. I have heard really good things about the Harmony ONE and the 1000. When I get into a new house and have the whole systems set up I'll be looking at those 2.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I had the Sony touchscreen..the novelty wore off after a week because it took two hands to change the channel or turn up the volume or do anything for that matter. It was an older model and probably more bulky than the model you show, but if it requires two hands, you may feel the same way after awhile.

That's actually a fantastic point. Thanks for bringing that up.

I should probably take a look at some nice conventionally shaped remotes....INGO, I'm open to more suggestions.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Another +1 for the Harmony's. We've had one for about four years now and works great. It was easy to program when we got a Blu Ray. Not sure what model it is but its rechargeable and it will last 10-14 days without being recharged, that's using it everyday.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    After a bit of research, I'm leaning toward this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Universal-Remote-Touchscreen/dp/B002RL875A]Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen: Electronics[/ame]

81Xwg41QusL._AA1500_.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I did land on the Harmony ONE.

I do like it, but I don't like how slow it is to change the channels when clicking on one of the "fav" icons and I also can't figure out how to get it to use the surround sound volume without manually switching to surround sound mode. When I click "watch TV" on the touch screen, it turns the TV and stereo on, but when I go to adjust the volume it just changes the volume of the TV speakers and not the surround speakers.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I never did replace my ailing remote. It slowed down on the battery consumption.

For the volume, there should be a check mark somewhere when you are setting up the watch tv activity to tell it the volume is controlled by the receiver.

osrewm.jpg

For the favorites... there is a delay setting you can change. You'll have to fiddle with it to speed it up but not so fast that the box doesn't get all the button presses. I use the Harmony software on my computer (not sure if they do it via the web as well?), and I have a Devices tab, then click on the settings button next to your cable box or TV. It's in there.
    291m542.jpg

What sort of remote are you trying to copy? The Harmony library of devices is rather huge. It may well have what you have. I haven't done it in a while, but I remember it being a bit convoluted. You may end up having to add a custom device and doing something with the "learn infrared commands" selection like in the screenshot above.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I never did replace my ailing remote. It slowed down on the battery consumption.

For the volume, there should be a check mark somewhere when you are setting up the watch tv activity to tell it the volume is controlled by the receiver.

osrewm.jpg

For the favorites... there is a delay setting you can change. You'll have to fiddle with it to speed it up but not so fast that the box doesn't get all the button presses. I use the Harmony software on my computer (not sure if they do it via the web as well?), and I have a Devices tab, then click on the settings button next to your cable box or TV. It's in there.
    291m542.jpg

What sort of remote are you trying to copy? The Harmony library of devices is rather huge. It may well have what you have. I haven't done it in a while, but I remember it being a bit convoluted. You may end up having to add a custom device and doing something with the "learn infrared commands" selection like in the screenshot above.

1. Um, did I mention in this thread that I have an Onkyo receiver? If not, that's crazy you posted that picture.

Edit: I just noticed that's your actual account, so you obviously have an Onkyo as well.

However, I have that setting checked and for some reason it still wants to change the TV volume.

2. Yeah, I saw something about the delay when I was setting it up, but for some reason I can't find it now...I'll look for it again.

3. The main thing I'm wanting it to learn is an xbox controller. Most of the commands work, but I can't find the "back (B)" button.

I go through all of the steps, then when it tells me to press the button I want it to learn and the button I want to replace, nothing happens.

Top Bottom