• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Charter used to make a .38 six shot snubbie . Check their website. I loved both the Charters that I have owned , light weight , reliable and surprisingly accurate. I would deffinetly have another if I was in the market.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Are Taurus and Charter Arms good quality gun makers?

I hope to get a 38 Special some time soon. I shot my brothers heavy cowboy revolver in 38 Special and I found the round plenty powerful for personal defense. The police/FBI may need more powerful rounds but after shooting
    a 38 Special for the first time over the summer, I found it easy to handle and plenty powerful, like the 9mm.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On the low cost end, its tough to beat the Taurus 85. The stainless version would meet your criteria. Bonus if you can find a concealed hammer version. You should be able to find one new for $330 or so, used in the mid to upper $200s depending on age and condition.

I am a S&W fan, but I have a Taurus 85CH in blue. I am happy with it as a car gun and would carry it to. It's small, works well and if I got it stolen or heaven forbid it was ever used to defend myself, I wouldn't be heartbroken when they took it into evidence.

Though for EDC I still haven't made up my mind what I will carry....

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Are Taurus and Charter Arms good quality gun makers?

I hope to get a 38 Special some time soon. I shot my brothers heavy cowboy revolver in 38 Special and I found the round plenty powerful for personal defense. The police/FBI may need more powerful rounds but after shooting
    a 38 Special for the first time over the summer, I found it easy to handle and plenty powerful, like the 9mm.
    I've got two Taurus firearms and one's my summer EDC. My winter EDC is a Charter Arms in .44 Special that I've had for many years now. I've had no problems with any of them.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start looking at small revolvers next week once I get over this cold I have. Looks like there are a lot of nice snub nose revolvers in the $400 and under range.

Didn't police carry snub nose 38 Special revolvers in the 1960s and 70s? Are there lots used police revolvers around anywhere?

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I carry a S&W Bodyguard revolver as my primary pocket gun. Whatever you decide on, the important thing is to draw and shoot it until it become a comfortable extension of your hand. When you get into a situation where you need protection, thinking about handling your carry piece is the lowest priority.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At what range do all you snubbie guys shoot your guns accurately?
    What if SigFan07's reason for actually needing his revolver is carrying a long gun?

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I would go with the Taurus if I was looking cheap.
    Their 38 snubbie Ultra Lite blued revolvers, are going for $289 - $299 just about anywhere now.
    Hard to beat for that price.
    Now, if you are planning on being a heavy shooter, then SW has to be the choice.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    What if SigFan07's reason for actually needing his revolver is carrying a long gun?

Realistically 1 to 7 yards. I see no sense in having adjustable sights on a CCW. A laser sight is nice to have and one was factory installed on my Bodyguard. If it had not have been, I would not spend the extra money for one.

rocker4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    SE
    I would go with the Taurus if I was looking cheap.
    Their 38 snubbie Ultra Lite blued revolvers, are going for $289 - $299 just about anywhere now.
    Hard to beat for that price.
    Now, if you are planning on being a heavy shooter, then SW has to be the choice

I agree 100% I looked at both for the wife. The SW is a great made gun, even felt alittle better in the hand! But she wasn't going to be shooting this one very much, so I went with a Taurus I ran across at a price I couldn't pass up!

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

What is your definition of accurately?

Personally, I tend to evaluate my SD carry gun/loads at defensive ranges, keeping the bulk of practice under 10 yards. Beyond that I would think SD would become as hard one to prove.

As for how far I have stretched out ranges with my snub nose, I have, and from time to time still do, shoot pop cans at 25 yards or so, usually missing 1 in 5 at that distance. I would think that to be good enough for most situations.

Top Bottom