• ...and so much more!
  • PurdueBandsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    LaGrange
    Hello,
    I just recently purchased a 1943 Smith-Corona 1903A3 the other day to add to the WWII collection my father and I are amassing. This is my first rifle of this type that I have owned. All components on the outside are sound and weapon function is flawless. I was attempting to field strip it to inspect the inner components but I am having trouble with the bayonet lug and barrel bands and I wanted to ask opinions before I started poking and prying the bands.
    When I loosen the screw for the bayonet lug the lug itself will not slide off the stock(by hand) and hence i cannot get off the front barrel band either. I have googled the crap out of field stripping 1903A`3s but all the information is sub-par at best. If anyone has experience with field stripping these firearms I would greatly appreciate whatever tips you may offer.

Also as a side note, there is some play in the barrel up by where bayonet lug and stock end. From what i have read the only issue may be with accuracy, but safety should not be a concern. An info on this also is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are going way beyond "field stripping" by removing these parts. This is an armorer's job. It was never intended to be a job done by the soldier to his rifle. In the field or anyplace else.

Having said that, if you insist on taking these parts off to prove something, get an expert's help. You can certainly get them off with a big enough hammer, it's the reinstallation that can be tricky.

Just don't bother taking them off. There is nothing to see under them anyway.

That is my advice.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    +1 on just leaving it alone. You are risking screwing it up and there isn't really anything to gain.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The "Curious George" phase of my life ended up costing me. I consider myself learned now.

I shed actual tears when I read about things like this possibly being done to a fine piece of machinery.

:laugh: I've been chuckling since I wrote it. I knew you'd appreciate the comment.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The "Curious George" phase of my life ended up costing me. I consider myself learned now.

I shed actual tears when I read about things like this possibly being done to a fine piece of machinery.

You really think taking the barrel bands off is an "armorer's level" proposition? I know it's not a field strip as per the manual, but there is next to no chance of damaging the rifle is one is careful. It's not like you are beating the thing with sledge hammer. You take a brass or plastic punch and a few light taps will get the band loose and forward. I always take surplus guns down to the action when I get them and get everything cleaned up and lubed. Not a big deal.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You really think taking the barrel bands off is an "armorer's level" proposition? I know it's not a field strip as per the manual, but there is next to no chance of damaging the rifle is one is careful. It's not like you are beating the thing with sledge hammer. You take a brass or plastic punch and a few light taps will get the band loose and forward. I always take surplus guns down to the action when I get them and get everything cleaned up and lubed. Not a big deal.

Let me remind you that the majority of society is NOT as mechanically capable as you are...

Top Bottom