• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Get a Savage or a Marlin. You will have to spend more money on upgrades to get a Ruger to shoot as well as a Savage or Marlin right out of the box. The old Mossbergs are ok, but the triggers are not.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The 10/22 can be a bottomless last-fraction-of-an-MOA chasing rabbit hole. They shoot fine out of the box. There's a TON of free, cheap & aftermarket parts that help them shoot better. If you like to tinker, this is your gun.

If you want more accuracy and don't want to tinker, get a 77/22 (classic bolt) or a Ruger precision 22 (modern tactical).

Henry lever guns! Those are loads of fun.

S&W 15/22. AR15 style. Very fun. Not real accurate.

Tippmann M4-22 AR. Very accurate. AR15 style.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Get a Savage or a Marlin. You will have to spend more money on upgrades to get a Ruger to shoot as well as a Savage or Marlin right out of the box. The old Mossbergs are ok, but the triggers are not.

My Mossberg 44 US and 46B both have adjustable triggers. I like them both really well.

v8thunder27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2020
    Fishers
    Of all the 22's that i have shot i would have to recommend the Henry classic lever 22 as one of my favorites. It comes with me almost every time I go to the range and it is easy to teach anyone how to shoot it. I use it to introduce new shooters to rifles.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    The 10/22 can be a bottomless last-fraction-of-an-MOA chasing rabbit hole. They shoot fine out of the box. There's a TON of free, cheap & aftermarket parts that help them shoot better. If you like to tinker, this is your gun.

If you want more accuracy and don't want to tinker, get a 77/22 (classic bolt) or a Ruger precision 22 (modern tactical).

Henry lever guns! Those are loads of fun.

S&W 15/22. AR15 style. Very fun. Not real accurate.

Tippmann M4-22 AR. Very accurate. AR15 style.

Are you plinking for general marksmanship or trying to drill a specific manual of arms? I just sold one of my 10/22s to finance a Tippmann for this reason.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I am no fan of the standard 10/22 stock, wood or synth.
    My pref is for the old sporter.
    They look good and feel even better.
    Still trying to find a GM sporter bbl for this one.

hsmGBR7.jpg

Leupold VX1 2-7x in cheap Leupold aluminum rings.
    Andy's Leather carry strap.
    If Rimfire Sports doesn't get any GM sporters back in soon the orig bbl proly be sent to Randy at CPC.
    Not wanting a match gun, but this rig shoots pretty crappy.
    Had to work the stock some to take side pressure off, front pressure (at tip ) was huge.
    If it ever stops blowing, will do some testing.

Maybe its good enough. I dunno.
    Had another fingergroove that got a Volq hammer and was .75 or a little under at 50 yards for 5 shots, w CCI blazer.
    That's good enough for me (scope not parallax adjusted, so max usable power at 50 yards is 6X)

DragBag31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2019
    Carmel
    Savage Mark II
    I don’t think it measures up to the advertisements, but it’s good enough for me. I tried to shoot groups at 100 yards, but my cheap scope wasn’t up to the task. At 50 yards with Blazer 40-grain bullets fired from a bench, most of the shots were inside a 1-inch circle and several were outside that group. In the end, I have two reasons to defend the rifle. First, I tried only one kind of ammunition. To truly gauge the rifle’s accuracy, I’ll need to shoot at least a handful of brands. Next, like I said before, I didn’t spend much on the scope and at 4×32, its magnification probably limited my ability to shoot the rifle well.

It’s a nice-looking rifle and it shoots well enough that if I miss clay pigeons or tin cans at 50 yards, I deserve ridicule. My only regret with this rifle is that I bought a $20 scope for a rifle whose fine lines and decent accuracy warrant something better.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you'd be willing to widen your horizons a bit, I'd recommend the Tikka T1x. Mine, and many others who's reviews I've read indicate 1/2"@ 50 yds with lower mid range ammo (CCI and Aguila SV, SK Standard +, etc) is the norm, not the exception. Costs less than $500 with close to Anschutz performance. Good synthetic stock, adjustable trigger, and threaded barrel are standard.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Are you plinking for general marksmanship or trying to drill a specific manual of arms? I just sold one of my 10/22s to finance a Tippmann for this reason.

I'm a small group chasing junkie. I sometimes spend too much time & $ trying to get a poor platform working up to my standards. That's all too easy to do with a 10/22 & a S&W 15/22 imo.
    I'm trying to get my guns to hold a consistent 1.5-3.5 MOA group size but prefer sub MOA of course. Who wouldn't? :dunno: :):

I've been modding a 10/22 for a while now trying to shoot dimes at 100 yards, unsupported, prone position. I've trying to beat the guys shooting the >$5k kits without spending that in mods myself. :): Everyone's goals can be different of course.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Henry lever action if you want to feel like a cowboy
    S&W 15-22 if you want to feel tactical (or want a ar trainer rifle)
    Ruger 1022 if you want a mag fed plinker
    Marlin Model 60 if you want a tube fed plinker.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My vote is always Anschutz, but there pricey...savage will.not break tne bank and will.do a good job....
    What is your price range and will this be a plinking toy or are you wanting something more for competitive shooting

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Of all the 22's that i have shot i would have to recommend the Henry classic lever 22 as one of my favorites. It comes with me almost every time I go to the range and it is easy to teach anyone how to shoot it. I use it to introduce new shooters to rifles.

Just ordered the Henry .22 carbine with the oversized lever. FEDEX dropped it at the local kitchen-table FFL, but I haven't been there yet to get it. I am dying to try it out.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I have owned or currently own a Ruger 10-22 semi-auto, a Savage Mark 2 bolt action, a Henry lever action, a Marlin 795 semi-auto, and a CZ 455 bolt action. I could never get the Henry to be very accurate. The Ruger is now accurate but it cost hundreds of extra dollars to do so! My Savage Mark 2 was not accurate at all but my good friends was quite accurate...go figure! The CZ is very accurate and considerably more expensive than all the others. For good old plinking fun, it is hard to beat my Marlin 795 (I paid $85 new) and it is every bit as accurate as the CZ with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. I added an inexpensive Cabela's rimfire scope for $100 and I really enjoy using the gun and don't feel guilty banging it around when I take it with me. The only thing that stinks is the trigger, but I recently found a YouTube video by FogCityTactical that allowed me to decrease trigger pull to under 4 lbs. with a few simple modifications.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm a small group chasing junkie. I sometimes spend too much time & $ trying to get a poor platform working up to my standards. That's all too easy to do with a 10/22 & a S&W 15/22 imo.
    I'm trying to get my guns to hold a consistent 1.5-3.5 MOA group size but prefer sub MOA of course. Who wouldn't? :dunno: :):

I've been modding a 10/22 for a while now trying to shoot dimes at 100 yards, unsupported, prone position. I've trying to beat the guys shooting the >$5k kits without spending that in mods myself. :): Everyone's goals can be different of course.

Worthy goal IMHO.

I wanted sub half inch at 50 yards for under $500 (not counting scope). Think I was under $400.
    Titan stock and GM bbl got me there w SK match (five shots .4" repeatable).
    Bought a used but like new international at good price and dumped the stock, Volq hammer the only internal change,
    Hell I still have the receiver laying around someplace.
    Kinda neat, has a 243 prefix (and I blow up groundhogs w .243 so yeah.... ;)

Top Bottom