Looking for some answers on battery powered lighting...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm hoping there are some people on here who may be able to help me with this question.

Would it be possible to pull some old car headlights, Mount them on a stand, and run them with a battery? If so, could a switch be wired to turn them on and off, and how long might that battery last?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I did this with LED driving lights I got on ebay. 20.00 and they are bright and last a long time. I use them off my ATV or trailer when I am in the woods. The battery was small and a car battery should run them a long time. The new LED's are better now and mine are about 2-3 years old. I think I have around 30.00 total in my set up and its quick to set up and works well. Good luck.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I'm just looking for a cheaper route to put lighting on my boat for bowfishing. So it needs to be bright enough to shine down into water. I'm currently using AA powered LED spotlights mounted on a bracket. It works good but I'd like to have a rechargable battery.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    As stated. LED lamps would give you far more bang for your buck. However, to answer your question: Yes, it can be done. As to how long the battery will last requires more information. If you are talking about using a car battery, you can pretty much answer your own question. They will last as long as your car battery does when you leave the lights on. Auto lights are a surprisingly large current draw compared to a typical flashlight, and need something like a car battery to get the kind of runtime you may be looking for.

I'm currently using AA powered LED spotlights mounted on a bracket. It works good but I'd like to have a rechargable battery.
    Depending on the battery configuration of your spotlights, you may be able to power them from your trolling motor battery (i'm assuming here) and get a lot more run time out of them.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I would definitely go with LED's Longer battery life, smaller, same power.

Yeah I know it's already been said but I've never been a bandwagon jumper and thought I'd give it a try!:):

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's easy.....
    The lights = E over R equals I
    The battery = How many amp hours is the capacity.

Lights turn on and use xyz amps per hour
    How many amp hours in battery equal how many hours lights will run.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My biggest concern is that 90% of the water where I fish is very murky and LEDs don't penetrate the water as well as halogens.

I've never left my car lights on long enough to know how long they would last.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Shibumi would be a good guy to ask that question, he's up on everything involving batteries, lights and generation.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Conventional car headlights will work with a switch and a battery. They draw about 5 amps each, two would be 10 amp hours draw that will suck an average (40-50 ah, not to be confused with "500 cranking amps" that is a momentary rating) car battery dry in 5 or so hours. I lit my shed with a car headlight 30 years ago when that is all we had.

The LED lights make plenty of light and will get lots of hours of use out of smaller batteries. A 1.5 amp LED system would light for days on a deep cycle trolling motor battery. That would be a way better choice.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My biggest concern is that 90% of the water where I fish is very murky and LEDs don't penetrate the water as well as halogens.

I've never left my car lights on long enough to know how long they would last.

Murky water is going to greatly limit the effectiveness regardless the type of light. Think driving in heavy fog or snowfall with your high beams on. I've done many night dives and any silt in the water limits your vision greatly with the light being reflected right back in your eyes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about the high lumen Fenix or Thrunite handhelds that will take a 18650?
    Mount them up to easily remove the tail caps and have a box of charged 18650's to reload as needed?

They are sealed/waterproof. So you might even be able to run them under the surface, avoiding the glare?
    I don't know your boat setup, but if you have adjustable rod holders, it seems as if PVC pipe sections with the Two Fish mounts would be simple to setup and take down.

A setup like this would do great dual duty for other lighting, security and carry also.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Short answer to OP: yes. You just need to pick a lighting system that runs on 12VDC, a switch, some wire, and a battery. There's a difference between a starting battery and a deep cycle, and you'll want the deep cycle for this. If you run the boat on a troll motor, that's what you have. If the lights you pick run less than 12V, you'll want to adapt them one way or another, but that's its own question. LED will be the most efficient, but halogen can be a lot brighter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What about a power inverter with a deep cycle or combo marine (deep cycle but also used to start the boat motor) battery? Then you can run AC lights. We take this set up camping with us to run a fan, charge cell phones, etc., and it lasts all weekend. If I think it might be running low, I switch it out with the battery on the boat and it charges back up while driving around in the boat. You could still use LED lights to minimize power usage, but it would just give you another option (AC or DC).

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think it was Ohm's law that stumped them...

I reject Ohm, and his law. He is mentioned nowhere in the constitution and there are many in law enforcement who will refuse to enforce it.
    When our next president dissolves the EPA, Newton and his "conservation of momentum" crap is out the window too.

I say FREE to the eff to the arr to the double eeee!

But yea, leds rock. They are more than tiny light bulbs.

Top Bottom