Looking for some easy to setup & takedown 22lr targets for a backyard range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd like to setup some targets for my 22lr in the backyard. Ideally I'd like them every 25 yards out to 300 yards. Ideally these targets would be steel so I dont have to mess with paper. I know I'm not the first guy to have to think about this so I want to know what other people have seen or thought of.

These need to be quick & easy to setup and take down. This would be something the wife doesn't want to see all the time in the backyard but something I'd be able to setup quick and easy so I can practice with a can when the kids are asleep and I can have a fee minutes to myself.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When the boys were small, I took a router and cut a slot in the top board on a couple old saw horses. In the slots I would stand up crappy stale cookies from the day old bread store. Instant gradification for a hit. Whatever crumbs the birds and wild animals didn't eat were disolved in the next rainfall. It would take either a pretty big cookie or a really good .22lr rifle/marksman to hit at 300 yards, but 25-100 yards is a lot of fun.

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Those little champion 22LR pop up targets are pretty nice, you can find them online for $10~$12. They have 4 tiny stakes you put them in the ground with, and they are light weight. I use those and i have a saw horse set up with hanging steel targets but those are heavy and not a mobile.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I just threw out the ones I made. Had made them out of rebar and some small steel plates. Nice little swingers they were.

Sold off all my .22lr guns since ammo went extinct and pitched all my targets. DoAll may make some inexpensive swingers. If you are handy and have a small welder a trip to the scrap yard will get you set up. Or if you don't have a welder you could still fit up something and have a shop stick it together for you relatively cheap.

I have even seen some people make a wood frame and then hang targets from the wooden frame. Targets were bent rebar like a candy cane with a steel plate welded to it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The Last Stand Target Stand, and 6 pieces of 48' long 1/2' rebar. Hang whatever steel targets you want, set up and take down in minutes.

Amazon.com : The Last Stand Target Stand : Sports & Outdoors

Love the concept, but for $40 that's a little salty for what it is. I like that these would be quick and easy to setup, but at the same time I'd rather take a bunch of short capped off pipes welded together and do the same thing. It's a curse, when I see some thing I like I think it's too expensive, and when I see something reasonably priced I don't like it. One of these days I'll get it dialed in.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Walking targets? They wouldn't "stay" at the range you placed them at but they are fun to shoot. That is what I shoot in my backyard because they are easy; I just toss them 10 yds out and by the end of my shooting they are 20 yards or so...

Top Bottom