• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I live in Anderson and I'm looking for someone to cut threads onto the barrel of my Mosin-Nagaunt M91/30. I asked at 9 guns and he gave me a number for a guy, the guy had a good price ($60) but is going to be down for awhile for surgery. I asked at Gunslingers but he wanted $140 to cut the threads! That seems like way too much to me, fine if he was including a good brake, but not just for threads. So, I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions? Also, I'm taking suggestions for a muzzle brake. I did see a guy on Ebay selling a threaded extender that snapped into place over the bayonet lug and used a pin to hold it there. But, I was worried about any movement. I can tell from the picture that it would be a very small amount of movement but it would also extend the length of the gun, which is long enough now. The thing cost $45 and I figured if I could get the threads cut for about that price, it would be worth it.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I do threading, question is are you just bringing the barrel, barreled receiver or just bringing the whole gun? Most times the prep work takes a lot longer then the actual work

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I do threading, question is are you just bringing the barrel, barreled receiver or just bringing the whole gun? Most times the prep work takes a lot longer then the actual work

Seconded. That barrel won't be coming out of the receiver, so you have to deal with the whole thing. Since the Mosin barrel isn't concentric, you have to either thread it from a chuck and accept that the threads won't be concentric to the bore (bad for suppression and brakes) or turn it on centers (which is a pain with such a long length).

I reprofiled and fluted a M91/30 barrel, and the threading was the biggest PITA trying to get it concentric. If it's just for a flashider, that simplies things quite a bit, however. What is your intended muzzle device?

Top Bottom