• ...and so much more!
  • Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hello INGO family!

I've been looking for a bolt action rifle for some time now but I'm not sure anymore. I really like the look and feel of the Remington 700, but I've also been reading bad reviews on it. Does anyone have something else in mind, thoughts on the 700?

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I've been wanting to get a good bolt action rifle for a while and was looking at both the 700 and the Savage 10. I Heard a few bad things about the 700 as well. Specifically how a very small percentage of the 700s would fire without the shooter even having their finger on the trigger. It's a very small percentage but it still makes me a little uneasy. I'm going to get a Savage 10 when i get home.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    My neighbor just got a Ruger 77 in 357Mag. and now I have the fever. Its light weight and legal for deer. Stainless barrel and just feels right when you shoulder it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was looking for a bolt action in .308 this past year and after looking at several manufacturers I got the Savage 10. The trigger in the Remington sucks by comparison.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    My neighbor just got a Ruger 77 in 357Mag. and now I have the fever. Its light weight and legal for deer. Stainless barrel and just feels right when you shoulder it.

Make sure the scope rings come with it. In their infinite wisdom Ruger decided to create a proprietary ring format for the M77 series rifles.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would like to see these "bad" reviews, Come on the 700 is a great rifle, because someone doesn't know how to load for one or wants some piece of metal to make up for their bad trigger control they want to armchair the thing as a bad rifle.

Right now manufacturing is as good as it gets. The current offering by the Rem, Ruger, and Savage are good rifles.

If your wanting an Indiana rifle to shoot targets, bottles, and maybe a crow or 2, the 700 Varmint is a good place to start, the lower priced rifle does have a stock that moves around you need to learn how to bench the rifle but its the starter, get to shooting and if you want a better stock get it. Or if you want to spend the money get the higher priced stock.

I would suggest 223, Not because its the greatest caliber ever but because you can shoot out to 500yds and its easy on recoil, and its easy (Normally) to find good ammo. There are good triggers on the market and everything else on the market.

But really as many rifles as Remington sells do you really think they are terrible rifles

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    For what its worth I have only handled the Savage, and shot the 700 several times. I have been looking for a good bolt gun for a while and I have pretty much decided on the Savage. Everyone seems to like them out of the box better than the 700's. I will probably be the limiting factor in accuracy in either of the two rifles. I'll be waiting to see other peoples replies!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hello INGO family!

I've been looking for a bolt action rifle for some time now but I'm not sure anymore. I really like the look and feel of the Remington 700, but I've also been reading bad reviews on it. Does anyone have something else in mind, thoughts on the 700?

OK here's what to do,

Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club

Schedule
    Next 2 Thursday's are rifle matches
    Show up
    Bring 308 quality ammo or 223 quality ammo
    Shoot My 700 in a match
    look at what else is on the line

No armchairs here, just the boom of rifles and the smell of burnt powder.

Let me know if you get a better deal than that

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a Remington 700 that is about twenty years old and shoots great. I also have a Savage that has the accustock and accutrigger. It is two years old. It is a model 11 in 243 Winchester. I didn't want to pay the price of a new Remington. On a good day I couldn't tell you witch one is more accurate. The Remington is in 308 and loves 110 gr Sierras. It don't do half bad with 168 gr either. The Savage likes the 100 gr Sierras. They will both shoot under a half inch. The Remington will shoot one jagged hole with the 110s. As far as the other rifles I don't own them and haven't shot them. So I couldn't tell you about them. Good luck on what ever you get.

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    I have a Rem 700 SPS tac and love it...after a couple simple mods I will love it more. It comes with a silly hogue stock that touches the barrel, the trigger could be a little lighter and it still shoots .5" groups at 100, and I am not great behind the trigger. So, the planks to drop it in an AI 2.0 stock, Timney trigger and should be good to go.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Weatherby Mark V.
    Close in price,but a much better design.I do also have a few 700s and a savage,but throw the bolt once on a Mark V and you will see the difference.The Vanguards are also nice rifles,and I have one of those as well(close to a 700 vs the V as better than in my opinion).

Mark V | Weatherby.com

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2 $649 for a guaranteed sub moa rifle out of the box.

Weatherby also makes a box magazine for all rifles and it is less than 50 dollars to upgrade the floor plate to a box setup(you can do this yourself no fitting was even needed).I have used this setup on my Vanguard,but not my Mark V.There are 10 round magazines available after market(mostly junk,one good one out of 3),but official Weatherby mags are 3-5 rounds depending on caliber.

One last thing before you decide.Just hold a 700 and a Weatherby side by side.Throw the bolts and try the triggers.Look at the designs of the bolt,barrel fitting,trigger group.Compare the fit and finish.

I like my 700s and they are fine rifles.I just think the Weatherby is a better rifle and design over all.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Savage, Thompson Center, or Tikka T3 lite FOR THE MONEY are my favorites.
    For out of the box accuracy in a gun that you don't need to upgrade the Tikka T3 lite varmint or the Thompson Center Icon are great guns at or below the $1000 mark.
    Also, it sounds like this is mostly a fun gun, range gun, etc. If you intend to hunt with it, then the rules changea bit, as a lighter weight becomes more important -- this is universal, regardless of brand.

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Think of guns as golf clubs or hand tools.

First question, what do you want to do with it?

+1!

Also, don't overlook Howa 1500's, Browning A-Bolts/X-Bolts (don't know what price range you're thinking), and Winchester 70's...I Know I'm forgetting some..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom