• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    I have always purchased my firearms through "big box" or professional shops so to speak generally because I have been apprehensive of buying a firearm that could have been stolen.

Are there ways to check into this before hand?

Are you legally obligated to check this before hand?

If you had purchased a stolen firearm, are you legally liable if you were to use it in self defense beyond the obvious investigation of the even itself?

Obviously the character of the person you're buying from would play a role, but who knows, maybe they got burned and don't know it. I'm just looking for general tips to take when possibly buying from a private seller.

And vice versa, are there any steps I should take when selling a firearm privately in order to get my name off of that firearm, like a transfer of ownership?

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Just keep track of who you got it from.

Worst case scenario happens you say: "I had no reason to suspect it was stolen. I purchased it from: Joe Johnson, 64736 Plymouth Indiana. his cell number is 746-779-8475."

Then your out of a gun.

BUT, seing as you would have to do something stupid like commit a crime or submit to an unwaranted search for a cop to ever get ahold of your serial number, I think such a scenario is unlikely. Even if they did, the number likely wont have been reported to the cops, even if it WAS stolen, becuase most peole don't keep track of them.

long story short, unless the guy your buying from is clearly a crackhead, gangster, or underage then you really don't have anything to worry about.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Bill of sale is and an Indiana DL verification while in person would do you a world of good. Some people think bills of sale are too personal. I dissagree. Like anything you buy, its always good to have a receipt. Covers your butt if a problem comes up. A receipt book cost about 2 bucks at office max.

I wouldn't sell to anyone who cannot provide a State license or ID card for many reasons, but mostly the out of state clauses. Maybe this is because I am a person with nothing to hide, so I expect who I sell to, to be the same.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    ^^^ What they said. Also just b/c you buy a gun from a shop doesn't mean it's not stolen. ASK me how I know!!

CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    ^^^ What they said. Also just b/c you buy a gun from a shop doesn't mean it's not stolen. ASK me how I know!!

HAHA! something tells me that I don't really have to ask

really all it sounds like is that you need something to fall back on, sounds like a sales receipt is the best way to go which is exactly what you would get from a shop anyway, thanks to all

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly if you really do not trust them. I would make them take the firearm to the police station, and have the serial number ran. Just to be on the safe side. Also personally I would do a transfer of ownership, at a gun shop. That way both your butts are coverd. I would also inspect the firearm as throughly as you can. If possible see if you supply the ammo, if you can test fire it. These days you have to be careful.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    There is a closed thread of this nature, just about a month or two ago.

Personally, if there a real issue, I would pay the $20 at a local shop to do the transfer. Otherwise, for both selling and buying, its a good idea record a persons name and address from their ID. This also assures that you don't break the law, ie: A business transaction involving a handgun with someone out of state.

Top Bottom