• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badapples

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Jennings County
    my dad gave me for christmas an old case xx. from what i have gathered from him is that he bought it in 1963 or 1964. it has a stag handle and i think he said it was model 5254. he said unfortunately he threw the box away not knowing he would ever need it. he never carried it and it sat in a safe all these years.

was looking to see if anyone new the value of it. will post pictures later.

thanks,
    dave

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    my dad gave me for christmas an old case xx. from what i have gathered from him is that he bought it in 1963 or 1964. it has a stag handle and i think he said it was model 5254. he said unfortunately he threw the box away not knowing he would ever need it. he never carried it and it sat in a safe all these years.

was looking to see if anyone new the value of it. will post pictures later.

thanks,
    dave

The Case 5254 is considered the "Trapper" model. If the tang is not marked with "USA" and is marked "CASE" with "XX" below it, then it is from the "XX" era which means the knife was made between 1940 to 1964. Assuming it is not a first model XX trapper with the "tested" era (1920 to 1940) frame, and it is in mint shape, it should be in the $300 to $400 range as far as value. Any condition lower than dead mint decreases the value accordingly. :twocents:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It says 5265SAB on the back of the blade

That changes everything. The 5265 pattern is a "Folding Hunter". While a desirable pattern, it is not as desirable as the 5254 Trapper pattern. Also with the "USA" stamp on the tang, that makes it a USA era knife which was made between 1965 & 1969. You might want to check to make sure that there are no dots stamped below the "USA" stamp on the blade tang. A lot of times, knives that have larger bolsters, the bolster will cover up the dots. Just move the blade around in different positions and look for any dots below the USA stamp. If you see any dots, it means the knife was made in the 1970's. The number of dots will indicate the exact year it was made. 1970 models will have 10 dots. Case removed a dot every year after. Example: 5 dots would make it a 1975 knife. If it is a USA era model, then the value would probably be in the $175 to $250 range. If it is a 1970 era knife, the year (number of dots) it was made will determine the value.

FYI: The "SAB" after the model number means that it has a saber ground blade instead of a flat ground blade.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom