Looking to carry a knife for the first time, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I carry a Kershaw scallion in the pocket and a Izulla II or a Blackhawk Crucible on the belt. All of them are great knives.
    The Izulla will easily fit in the pocket, just flick the sheath off with your thumb and you are ready for use.

Brads Knives and the Knife lady would be a good source. That way you can feel how they fit in your hands and your pockets.

They are great folks. Brad fixed me up with a EESE 3 and a Kershaw Leek at the Kokomo show. I am sure they will be at the INDY 1500.:)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I regularly carry either a Benchmade 553 Tanto, or Kershaw Tremor.

Sometimes when I'm feeling ballsy, I'll wear my Benchmade 42 Balisong on my belt.

I actually have used the serrations on the 553 before. Also used the Tremor to cut a cigar yesterday when I lost my cigar blade.

Looking to move to a fixed blade though, pretty soon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Ohio
    I've always conceal carried a firearm, but I've never carried a knife. I'm looking to remedy this and would like suggestions as to what would be a good self defense knife without breaking the bank. I'm talking around $50 and if I'm crazy then tell me that too.

Thanks!

You're crazy CaveMan!... Not really!

It's going to be tough finding a good quality folder in the $50 range that you would want to stake your life on in a self defense situation. So, I would suggest a small "neck knife" such as the ESEE Izula or Izula II. Both can be worn as a neck knife or put in a pocket using a pocket sheath. I also would put scales on the Izula (the Izula II comes with scales) as a good grip is vital in a situation where you are struggling with someone.

The Izula & Izula II are great every day carry knives and I'm sure you would find them very useful in that role as well.

I hope this helps!

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I used to EDC an Izula. I still carry it from time to time and love them. I carry one in my bunker gear at work too. I have moved to a ZT560 for my EDC most of the time now but its a little above the $50 tag you are looking for. If you are looking for a self defense knife make sure the lock is very secure if you go for a folder. In that price range you will be hard pressed to find a good secure frame lock to trust with your life, or fingers.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I have a high opinion on Emerson, a bit over the 50 budget, but not crazy like a stryder. For around 120, you can get a knife that will last a lifetime and you can't beat for wave for deployment.

szorn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Northcentral Indiana
    I've always conceal carried a firearm, but I've never carried a knife. I'm looking to remedy this and would like suggestions as to what would be a good self defense knife without breaking the bank. I'm talking around $50 and if I'm crazy then tell me that too.

Thanks!

I personally prefer Spyderco and Byrd (the economy version of Spyderco), for a number of reasons. While the majority of Spyderco will be over the $50 price tag, you can often find Enduras and Delicas on discount sites or on sale in the $50 range. The Byrds run around the $30 price range.

In regards to locks failing...I have owned and carried variations of Spyderco for about 15 years and have yet to have a lock fail, even while training them against a war post. The key is to put this all into proper perspective. First off, what are the chances you will be forced to deploy your knife to save your life? Unless you hang out or live in a risky environment or you have a high-risk career, the likelihood is statistically low. Now, even if you find yourself using a knife to fend off a lethal force threat, what are the chances the lock will fail before you neutralize the threat? Again, statistically pretty low. As long as it's a good quality knife, made by a well-known company and you are trained to use it in such a way as to reduce any failures, I would not be concerned in the least that it would fail.

When choosing a knife to carry in self-defense there are other things to consider. Fixed or folder? Is it legal in your state and jurisdiction? How convenient is it to carry the knife you like the most? Is speed of deployment more important than convenience? Where will the knife be carried on your person? If it's a folder...does it have an ambidextrous opening device? Does it have a clip? Can the clip be positioned on the knife to suit your ideal carry position and draw? And you get the point...

Like a gun, I always suggest that the person go to the stores or shows and try to handle the knives to make sure it fits their a hands and their needs. I have purchased many knives over the years and have come to realize that high quality and high prices don't automatically make a good defensive knife.

Hope that helps,
    Steve

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    szorn has some good points. You mentioned in your OP that you were looking for a good self defense knife but keep in mind that the chances in using it that way woud be very slim. The chances of you using it in every day life for mundane tasks are very high. Having a knife lock fail while pushing it through flesh would probably never happen, having a knife lock fail while trying to cut plastic or wood is possible, however it doesn't need to be a $270 ZT560 to make sure that doesn't happen. It also doen't need to be a straight blade. Spyderco makes some very nice knives, I bought a Spyderco Delica for my wife as her EDC and she loves it.

When you buy one just open it and make sure the lock is solid and there is no play in the blade when it is open, make sure the lock up is stedy and won't slip and let the knife close. When testing that try to close it without releasing the lock, making sure that you keep your fingers clear so if it does fail you don't cut yourself. If it passes that it should be fine. Brand and price usually come into play when determining the material that it is made from and how long it will retain an edge and how long and how well the knife will hold up, not necessarily on how well it locks. Frame locks on the cheaper knives are the ones I would question, but there are other types of locking systems that are good.

I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I used a gerber Gator for a long time. That folder was my goto tool for almost everything. Until I got my hands on my benchmade. This is a piece of good steal. Its in my pocket everyday. As for a fixed carry, I keep my cold steel SRK on the belt horizontal for easy concealability and access. No its not uncomfortable either. $50 is a low price for a piece of steel you may have to depend on to save you or a loved ones life.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    Check out Shadow Tech Knives. Made in Ohio and have a custom locking sheath that has an absurd amount of carrying positions. Their 3" tanto bowie is my daily carry.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    images

Becker Necker

Last edited:

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    cold steel recon 1 is a good knife for around that price range sturdy lock aus 8 steel so it holds an edge well and wont rust g10 handles and that triad lock its a sweet blade

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    but if u are willing to up the price range to about 80 to 100 get your self a benchmade griptilian i carry two every day couldnt ask for anything else in a knife

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    I've found in that price range that the Spyderco Resilience is the best folding tactical knife (for me). It doesn't weigh much, isn't too thick, and has a 4.25" blade length. It's not terribly nice to look at (unless you like Spyderco) but it also won't scare people if you whip it out.

Top Bottom