• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    There are MANY more aftermarket add-ons and accessories available for the SR25/DPMS platform.
    The Armalite platform uses many more proprietary parts.
    Also, DPMS mags are cheaper than Armalite.

Just food for thought.

Thats the kind of stuff I need to know haha

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    There are MANY more aftermarket add-ons and accessories available for the SR25/DPMS platform.
    The Armalite platform uses many more proprietary parts.
    Also, DPMS mags are cheaper than Armalite.

Just food for thought.

I thought that Armalite was now making both their AR-10 and one that takes SR-25 mags as well due to customer demand for less proprietary products? I don't have a link right now but I thought that I saw that somewhere.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a Gen 3 as well. Can't say enough good things about it. with 175gr Gold Medal Match it shoots a ragged hole at 94 yards (the longest I can currently shoot on my property). I am hoping to get out to some of the longer ranges here in Indiana next year to stretch its legs.

Not cheap, most everything is proprietary, the capabilities of the gun make you spend ridiculous amounts of money on accessories, but the gun is AMAZING

I have a POF 308 also....great rifle, but it is a tad spendy and as already mentioned the parts are proprietary which I don't see as a big deal, as you have to buy parts anyway, so buy your spare parts and be done.

I like a piston in a AR10...

I don't mind proprietary parts either, and really, there's not too much more a person could do to one to make it better. I have a Gen 4 P415 and the only thing I've replaced is the end plate and I added a sling mount on the forearm (before they started building them into the forearm).

Stock up on an extra op rod or two and replace them after 20-25000 rounds.

I thought that Armalite was now making both their AR-10 and one that takes SR-25 mags as well due to customer demand for less proprietary products? I don't have a link right now but I thought that I saw that somewhere.

The AR-10A takes PMAGs/SR25 mags

For $1300, I'd think about building one but getting Aero M5 receiver sets have sucked the past 5 months. A gen 2 DPMS, Smith and Wesson M&P10, or an Armalite AR10B

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had an Armalite that I sold, basically because I like the M1A better. The other down side to my Armalite (at least to me) was the 16in barrel, after owning it I realized how LOUD it was and THEN did research only to find that you loose quite a bit from a .308 with the 16in barrel.

Mine would only accept proprietary Armalite mags, but Armalite used to run them on sale for about $25 dollars a mag, and they are very nice mags.
    I have again myself been thinking of another AR-10 platform and was considering a 20in Rock River.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    I had an Armalite that I sold, basically because I like the M1A better. The other down side to my Armalite (at least to me) was the 16in barrel, after owning it I realized how LOUD it was and THEN did research only to find that you loose quite a bit from a .308 with the 16in barrel.

Mine would only accept proprietary Armalite mags, but Armalite used to run them on sale for about $25 dollars a mag, and they are very nice mags.
    I have again myself been thinking of another AR-10 platform and was considering a 20in Rock River.

i would like a longer barrel as well.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    i would like a longer barrel as well.

My Gen 3 POF has a 20" barrel. Selling it to fund a 16". With a suppressor on a 20" barrel, it's just long. Don't know if you're running a can though or not

In a 308 you're not loosing a ton going with a 16" barrel vs a 20", unless you just generally prefer longer barrels or want the rifle to weight a bit more

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

BTW, I couldn't afford a full JP rifle... so I used JP's 18" barrel, bolt, & hand guards. but I used DPMS receivers, geissele trigger. about $2200 in it w/o optics. already shooting under 1" and just starting to work up hand loads for it.

Currently has a 4-12 vortex crossfireII on it vs the 1-4 PST I borrowed off my 3-gun rifle shown in the photo. saving pennies for a nice PST scope

IMG_1021_zpsef1a2077.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    My Gen 3 POF has a 20" barrel. Selling it to fund a 16". With a suppressor on a 20" barrel, it's just long. Don't know if you're running a can though or not

In a 308 you're not loosing a ton going with a 16" barrel vs a 20", unless you just generally prefer longer barrels or want the rifle to weight a bit more
    can would be down the line if/when it becomes easier to obtain and price drops because everyone and their brother would be manufacturing them. Ksg would be the first to get one though if that was the case :P

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett

Whats your asking price for the one you're selling you can pm me if you'd like

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have an Armalite AR-10 that I built. I couldn't be happier with it. Shoots sub one inch groups with a suppressor on it with a 16 inch barrel. Dang thing is heavy though. If I had to do it all over again I would do it just the same. I would say get an Armalite AR-10 that was factory built and over time change out what you want to as you can. AR-10A takes DPMS pattern mags, AR-10B takes Armalite mags.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    can would be down the line if/when it becomes easier to obtain and price drops because everyone and their brother would be manufacturing them. Ksg would be the first to get one though if that was the case :P

Suppressors are easy to obtain, no more paperwork than getting your carry license. You can get a direct thread 30 cal can for 450ish or a quick detach can in the AAC 762SD for like 550 or less. Prices aren't bad. You just have to get your feet wet

Whats your asking price for the one you're selling you can pm me if you'd like

I had it listed in the classified for a while. But I have it sold to a friend at the moment

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I assembled a Lower a couple of years ago and purchased a DPMS upper with a 20" SS bull barrel. WAY to heavy in my opinion to be a good hunting rifle but I built it only for target shooting. I mounted a Vortex 6 X 18 crossfire 2 scope. Built the lower with wood (Walnut) furniture. So far it has functioned great ~ haven't put a lot of rounds through it yet but zero problems and great accuracy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sorry if this is a thread jack. Where would a Larue fit in with some of the other .308 ARs previously listed? I may save up and get a good one.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Update: have a pair of armalite 308's enroute (for some reason no local shops had almost any in stock). Need to figure out what handguard will fit that I want a complete barrel length, 15" would be the one I want correct? - tell me if I'm wrong. And check out some glass for it and maybe a trigger if when I get it I don't like how stock feels. Figured I'd let everyone who gave me input and pros/cons on stuff know what I decided to go with. :)

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Did you get the AR-10B or the AR-10A? You will need to know that when you go to buy extra mags. Also make sure that when you buy parts for it (except the trigger) that they are for the Armalite AR-10 version and not the DPMS pattern.

Top Bottom