looking to get a new deer gun. .44 or .357??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Like the title says, I'm looking to pick up a lever gun in .44 or .357 mag for deer season. What is everyones thoughts on these? Would one be better than the other?

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I've read a little about it, I guess right now it is probably going to boil down to what I can find in stock rifle wise. It's probably not the best time of the year to be trying to get one, but hopefully I'll be able to find something.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I would say the .44. I have heard people who have hunted with both using the Hornady FTX and they felt the .357 was not quite enough gun. If little kids are involved the .357 is a good choice. However, I have a single shot .44 and my stepson shot his first deer when he was 10 with it. I guess it probably is going to a personal preference but my vote would be the .44.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I would say the .44. I have heard people who have hunted with both using the Hornady FTX and they felt the .357 was not quite enough gun. If little kids are involved the .357 is a good choice. However, I have a single shot .44 and my stepson shot his first deer when he was 10 with it. I guess it probably is going to a personal preference but my vote would be the .44.

I hunt with the .357 and it is plenty of gun. It's about shot placement. The .44 is just as good as well, but don't let people disuade you that the .357 cannot properly kill deer because that is BS. Use a Flat Nose JSP (Jacketed Soft Point) and you'll be fine. I use a Rossi lever action in .357 and a Ruger 77 bolt action in .357 (these both are also available in .44 if you prefer that). I chose the .357 models of these because I could use the lower priced .38 special round for low cost target shooting and practice. My twin sons love these rifles and they'll be using them come the last weekend in September for the Youth Deer Hunt. So, I think you would be happy with either the .44 or the .357 rounf for deer hunting. BTW Buds Guns had specials on the Rossi Lever Actions last month in August - I am not sure if they are still on sale or not.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I've harvested deer with both a H&R .357 Handy Rifle II and Marlin .44; both did the job equally well. Got the .357 with the intent to ream it into a .357 Max but never got around to it. Never needed to anyway, the .357 magnum is just fine for my type of deer hunting (125 yd max distance).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went with .357 because I could match up a revolver to carry with the long gun. A revolver that I could realistically carry for self defense on the streets also.
    The 77/357, SW60-15 pairing covers a lot of bases for me in the woods and on the water, (great light canoe/mushroom hunting combo.)

I built up some H110 max-loaded 180gr hard cast deer thumper loads to best wring out the small cartridge. That sweet load is complemented with a Trailboss/125gr cast RN load for bunnies and squirrels.

Shhhh, don't tell our INGO hunting buddies that I'm actually OK with the fact that we didn't get the "better gun" rules passed this last year. ;)

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you have a choice, go ahead and get the .44.
    Not that .357 isn't up to the task, but it's worth noting that the much greater muzzle velocity you'll get out of bullets mostly intended for handgun length barrels could cause problems, a problem less likely to appear with the larger and heaver .44 bullets.
    As some of the others have suggested, the LeveRevolution (FTX as component bullets for you reloaders) ammo is outstanding deer medicine, especially for shrinking your groups and significantly extending the range at which you can humanely take deer.
    I've used the FTX bullets in my own handloads to take three deer over the last three years, each requiring one shot apiece, with my Marlin 1894 chambered in .45 Colt.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I use the same bullets for loading 44 mag as I use for my muzzleloader, so caliber was an easy decision for me..

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    looks like i'll be on the hunt for the .44, thanks for all the great input guys. Crossing my fingers I can find one around.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a puma 92 stainless in 44mag, and I really like it. Recoil is much more than a 357mag rifle, but still well under a 12ga slug. Yesterday I fondled a Henry big boy steel simply because it was there on the wall and I hadn't held one yet. The action wasn't as smooth as I remembered the regular brass Henry Big Boy, but it was certainly a fine rifle. I had bought an encore 44mag barrel for my rifle and with the pro hunter stock it was a great shooting package. Ultimately I just had to sell it because it felt like I was cheating on my puma 92. Personally, every time I grab my 92 in 44mag I feel like I'm about to go off on an adventure with John Wayne. Something about a lever gun with 10 rounds and iron sights just feel good to me.

Another thing to consider, if you'd ever go after black bear, the wider bullets of the 44mag would be a benefit.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Dunno if you're close to Indy/Noblesville, but the new Cabela's in Noblesville should be able to set you up with this one - Marlin® Model 1894 Lever-Action Rifle : Cabela's
    Call them, and they'll be sure to have it waiting for you to pick up, a nice advantage over having to have it shipped from one FFL to another with the attendant additional charges.

Buckshot has the same rifle at a noticeably better price listed here - Buck Shot Sporting Goods | Marlin 70400 1894 Lever 44 RemMag 20" 10+1 American Walnut Stock Blued
    I'm a big fan of my own 1894, and if you want to put a scope on it (I did because I wanted to extend my range), the Marlin comes already drilled and tapped, and there are plenty of mounts out there for the Marlin 336/1894/1895 receivers.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I've got a puma 92 stainless in 44mag, and I really like it. Recoil is much more than a 357mag rifle, but still well under a 12ga slug. Yesterday I fondled a Henry big boy steel simply because it was there on the wall and I hadn't held one yet. The action wasn't as smooth as I remembered the regular brass Henry Big Boy, but it was certainly a fine rifle. I had bought an encore 44mag barrel for my rifle and with the pro hunter stock it was a great shooting package. Ultimately I just had to sell it because it felt like I was cheating on my puma 92. Personally, every time I grab my 92 in 44mag I feel like I'm about to go off on an adventure with John Wayne. Something about a lever gun with 10 rounds and iron sights just feel good to me.

Another thing to consider, if you'd ever go after black bear, the wider bullets of the 44mag would be a benefit.

I wasn't very happy with the henry from the factory, but after putting 100 rounds through it, it is a night and day difference. The action must just need to be broken in a little on these rifles?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I wasn't very happy with the henry from the factory, but after putting 100 rounds through it, it is a night and day difference. The action must just need to be broken in a little on these rifles?

I think every lever action rifle needs to be broken in. There's a lot of parts running along one another all built by the lowest bidder and no "mil-spec" on those kinds of things that customers will know what to nit pick on. I've had several lever guns and once they all got a lot of cycles in and some rounds through them they all smoothed out. My 92 is my most shot lever gun and it's probably got anywhere from 500- 800 rounds through it. That action is as smooth as a 92 gets.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Just found a Rossi .44 in stock at Bradis, lady said it was a package with a red dot, thought that was odd. price was 579.00. I put it on hold, going to check it out and more than likely layaway it Sat.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Just found a Rossi .44 in stock at Bradis, lady said it was a package with a red dot, thought that was odd. price was 579.00. I put it on hold, going to check it out and more than likely layaway it Sat.

Make sure it isn't the octagon barrel'd rifle. If it is, you have to use a scout scope type of setup....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I went with .357 because I could match up a revolver to carry with the long gun. A revolver that I could realistically carry for self defense on the streets also.
    The 77/357, SW60-15 pairing covers a lot of bases for me in the woods and on the water, (great light canoe/mushroom hunting combo.)

I built up some H110 max-loaded 180gr hard cast deer thumper loads to best wring out the small cartridge. That sweet load is complemented with a Trailboss/125gr cast RN load for bunnies and squirrels.

I've had my eye on the Ruger 77/357 for the same reasons. I like the idea of having a rifle and pistol that shoot the same cartridge, and I like the added versatility of being able to shoot .38 or .357 with them.

Top Bottom