• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I've kinda had my mind set on a Colt LE6940 for a while. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a similar rifle. Some things I want is a rail, free float barrel, D.I. Gas system, and 1:7 twist. My spending limit is about $1500. Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    The colt is a great choice or you could get a nice Daniel Defense m4, they have quite a few options and configurations to choose from. Their barrels are CHF 1:7 twist and all but one of their rails they offer are free float, whether they are 1 piece or 2 piece. It will be in your $1,500 price range as well. I have a DDM4v5 and love it.
    Here is mine
    2bbac313.jpg

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    The colt is a great choice or you could get a nice Daniel Defense m4, they have quite a few options and configurations to choose from. Their barrels are CHF 1:7 twist and all but one of their rails they offer are free float, whether they are 1 piece or 2 piece. It will be in your $1,500 price range as well. I have a DDM4v5 and love it.
    Here is mine

Nice gun. That's good to know, I didn't know DD barrels were CHF. I wonder if the colt barrels are?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    LMT has a monolithic version too. Mine came with a torque wrench for installing a barrel though I don't recall ever seeing any barrels for sale.
    I'm not up on current pricing but Rainier Arms carries them plus lots of other cool stuff, including several Daniels Defense versions.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I own a colt le6920, and love it, I hear great things about dd rifles, lmt, noveski, lwrc, at that price point. My buddy has a m&p 15t and it is nice as well. IMHO you can't go wrong with any of those. This mostly boils down to buyers choice you will hear guys argue over which is better, what is min-spec and so forth and it all boils down to buyers choice, the higher end guns are arguably all equal, please don't tell anyone I said that lol.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Whole lotta of $$$$ for just a name stamped on the side...................build your own and get just as much reliability, save $, and put that into ammo & training :twocents:

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I have both a DDM4v5 and a Colt LE6920 and i wouldnt trade them. I love them both. They are great rifles. But thats just my opinion. Im sure everyone else has their opinion just like i do.

92180a64.jpg

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Whole lotta of $$$$ for just a name stamped on the side...................build your own and get just as much reliability, save $, and put that into ammo & training :twocents:

suggestions? I'm extremely new to the AR 15 platform. I just figured I couldn't go wrong with a COLT

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you want to reach out and touch something, you might consider one of the National Match versions from Armalite or RRA; or just a rifle length versus carbine length version from any of the makers you are partial too. Just putting it out as a suggestion because you didn't really say what you want it for.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The Colt 6720 LW with a Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP Lite Rail is a good combo and comes in at under $1,500.
    You might need someone to install the DD Lite Rail so it wouldn't be a turn-key setup. There are people on here that could do it though.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    If you want to reach out and touch something, you might consider one of the National Match versions from Armalite or RRA; or just a rifle length versus carbine length version from any of the makers you are partial too. Just putting it out as a suggestion because you didn't really say what you want it for.

I mainly want it for recreational use, and home/self defense. I'm not into competition shooting or anything like that. Also, do all Daniel Defense's have a gas piston system? Do any of them have DI?

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Does anyone know anything about sig sauer M400? I've found one for a decent price, but it doesn't have a quad rail. but i could get a DD or something for it

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I mainly want it for recreational use, and home/self defense. I'm not into competition shooting or anything like that. Also, do all Daniel Defense's have a gas piston system? Do any of them have DI?

I don't think Daniel Defense makes a piston. The colt is a great option, but if you have any inclination to tinker with things, I'd get a cheaper rifle with good components and have some cash over to tinker.

I don't know if you have an aimpoint or another quality red dot sight, but they sure are nice for the roles you mentioned. You also wouldn't be too badly off with a light.

an AP T1 is about 650 bucks (with quality mount) and a Surefire M300A will run you about 400 with a good mount. Just to keep in mind.

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    If you ever plan to take a class, go with the Colt. BCM is also a good option, but with what Colts are selling for these days they are pretty close on cost.

No you can't build an AR as reliable as a Colt for less money. You can build less for less though, pretty easy.

As far as the Sig goes, if it priced really right it would be ok for recreational use. They are nothing special though, and if it is within a couple hundred dollars of the Colt/BCM option above it would be a stretch to say it is worth it.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    If you ever plan to take a class, go with the Colt. BCM is also a good option, but with what Colts are selling for these days they are pretty close on cost.

No you can't build an AR as reliable as a Colt for less money. You can build less for less though, pretty easy.

As far as the Sig goes, if it priced really right it would be ok for recreational use. They are nothing special though, and if it is within a couple hundred dollars of the Colt/BCM option above it would be a stretch to say it is worth it.

well they're actually a lot different on price. the sig sauer m400 is $960 and the cheapest colt LE6940 I can find is around $1450. I'm kind of OCD about having a Mil-spec rifle so that's why i'm willing to shell out the $ for a colt... but i honestly don't know if it's worth it... I found a few Daniel defenses for about 1200 and a LMT for about 1000. They don't have flip sights and have that fixed a2 front sight which i don't like, but that can easily be replaced.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I also have a question for Daniel Defense owners, how is the stock trigger? I've heard that the COLT's stock triggers are horrible.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    There is nothing wrong with Colt triggers. They aren't target triggers, and aren't intended to be for a reason. The same reason you don't need a target trigger for your intended uses.

Top Bottom