• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is hard for me to give a solid suggestion as to buying a 1911. I have 3 in different stages of ground up builds. All custom to the last spring and screw.

My go to for an as built is the Springer line up even though I am pretty pi$$ed off at them right now and not for politics. CS :bs: of the highest order.
    But there are a butt load of good used ones out there. They are solid reliable and accurate. They respond to basic mods very well. You can get pretty crazy with the frames/slides as they are rock solid for the most part.

I have seen/owned a couple of turds as every company will have one slip out occasionally.

No knocks on the brands listed here beyond some I just do not care at all for. And this is from my own personal experiences not here-say or 3rd party :bs:

Jorrell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2020
    Camby
    I decided to get a Colt Defender.

Attachments

• 41280C5F-8F74-499D-A283-A1F7E70BB7B1.jpg
      41280C5F-8F74-499D-A283-A1F7E70BB7B1.jpg
      185.8 KB · Views: 10
    • 1AA7999E-3BEC-4222-AEA1-09D35A64D1F8.jpg
      1AA7999E-3BEC-4222-AEA1-09D35A64D1F8.jpg
      213.5 KB · Views: 8

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you have any problems with 230 grain, try some 185. Even Bill Wilson says the short slides can be a challenge. If you shoot it a lot, you will need to change recoil springs periodically.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Not getting into this one. :popcorn:

Cause Remington sucks and not a Sig fan.

But I digress.….:):

Thanks for my laugh of the day CM:lmfao:You're not always so sedate. :rockwoot:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men don't train or shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” Coach[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey CM what's your opinion on Caspian Arms 1911 fraes and slides? I'm thinking about building my own and ran across this company.

https://www.caspianarms.com/

I use them. I have a couple of their frames inbound in the mail right now.

Make sure you have all the tools etc before you make this leap. If you need assistance advice etc feel free to ask.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hey CM what's your opinion on Caspian Arms 1911 frames and slides? I'm thinking about building my own and ran across this company.

https://www.caspianarms.com/

Caspian has been around forever, they make good frames/slides and they offer just about any machined option you'd want. You might also take a look at Jem they make high quality frames and slides as well and a lot of known people in the business choose Jem. I think Jem's machining options might be cheaper than Caspian as well.

Welcome to JEM GUNS LLC - Redefining Match Grade

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Caspian has been around forever, they make good frames/slides and they offer just about any machined option you'd want. You might also take a look at Jem they make high quality frames and slides as well and a lot of known people in the business choose Jem. I think Jem's machining options might be cheaper than Caspian as well.

Welcome to JEM GUNS LLC - Redefining Match Grade

Okay thanks for the information.

CM I'll be sure to ask if I run into something I'm not sure on.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is just another example of why I love INGO. :ingo:
    Educational. Informative. Historical. Insightful.
    Getting the input of those who have "been there, done that" is priceless. :thumbsup:
    I love watching another's journey: less expensive. :laugh:

I love it when someone is starting a journey about a certain gun path and wanting to know what direction to go.
    Different folks, different strokes: priceless!

I have been down the 1911 path & loved it.
    Shot some terrific models that gmcttr had: Kimber, Dan Wesson & another (not remember), when I had my large Ruger 1911 (what I call the "Toyota Corolla" brand: dependable & economical) for only $600 (or $650) with 5 mags I bought at a local LGS.
    I even had the smaller Ruger 9mm version TWICE! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Every once in a while another 1911 catches my eye I almost buy again for yet another round of fun.
    Someone here recently had two Ruger 1911s for sale that were beautiful & priced right, & another had a different brand (not remember) that was calling to me. AGAiN.
    I had to seek counseling to get through b/c the addiction was calling. AGAIN. :lmfao:

Great thread!
    I try to use my favorite gun of all time (CZ Shadow 2: improved upon by the Wizard), to help me resist the 1911 call. :dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I decided to get a Colt Defender.

Congratulations. Years ago, I bought a compact Kimber about that same size. It likes the brass case stuff fine but I tried some steel case stuff one time (during one of our ammo shortage times) and it did not like that stuff...at...all.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Welcome to JEM GUNS LL

Casting has worked well for low round count guns and keeping the cost down however I will only work with forged equipment.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seriously? Buy the Sig. Remington is basically a “has been” firearms manufacturer. Their customer service is for the birds. Oops, that’s an insult to birds everywhere. Get the Sig, you won’t be sorry.

Top Bottom