Looking to purchase either a 1911 or Revolver. Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello all,

I am new to INGO and I am in the process of adding either a 1911 or a Revolver to my collection. It will NOT be used as my primary carry or home defense pistol, for that I would prefer either my H&K USP Compact .40, Sig P220 .45, or if I need something smaller, my Sig P232.

But I am just looking for something to take to the range and have some fun, and I have never owned either a 1911 or a revolver. Like many others, I have always wanted a 1911. I am considering selling my Glock 23 and putting that money towards the purchase. I just bought the Glock from a friend and I really don't like it. Not that it is a bad gun by any means, it just isn't for me.

I am considering either a Rock Island Armory GI M1911A1 Mil Spec .45 which I have found for $375 new or some type of .357 revolver, I was thinking Ruger or S&W. I am not familiar with the Rock Island, but I have read good things about it on this site and it was reviewed VERY well on the site that is selling it. I originally considered saving up for a Kimber or Colt 1911, but I have read less than stellar reviews on the Kimber, and I figured since it won't be my primary PD/HD option I would rather not spend the kind of money either one is going to demand.

My questions is, what would be a better choice? I know they are completely different guns, but I am looking at bang for the buck as well as what would be fun to take to the range. I made the mistake of buying the Glock 23 on a whim because I always thought they were cool and my buddy was selling his. This time I am going to search for some advice in case others have made a similar decision. I also came across a Sig 1911 .22 for $399 at Cabelas that sounded interesting, especially since the ammo would be so much cheaper than .45. Any input would be appreciated.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Rock Islands tend to have favorable reviews around here.... Another similar 1911 to consider for the around the same price is a American Classic... This is what I have and they also seem to have good reviews... For the price they are hard to beat. I have shot Kimbers and Colts in the past and just recently bought a Colt. Both are great guns, with the price though hard to say go that way if you want something just to shoot.

Revolvers I only have one and shot it only a couple of times.... Ill let someone else chime in on that one.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have a SA GI 1911 and a S&W 686 4". If I had to pick just one..... I would go with.... the S&W. The 1911 is fun, but I think for a range/plinking gun, a revolver is better. At least for me.

Here are my reasons:
    - My S&W is 10x more accurate than my 1911. Not that 1911's can be very accurate, this is just my case.
    - I think the 38/357 is easier to reload for than the 45ACP.
    - You can shoot 38's and 357's in the revolver. 38's are cheaper than 45 if you don't reload, and the 357 is a very powerful round if you need some serious firepower.

Just my :twocents:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both and I prefer to shoot the revolvers. They are, in my opinion, much more fun to look at. 1911's are really fun and easy shooters, but in a snap I would grab the wheel gun. Your mileage my vary.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If ammo cost is a factor, 500 rounds thru a nice .22 can be just as much fun at the range as 50 rounds of 45 or .357.

If you already have a .22 in your collection, then like others have already said, I would try to shoot both to see what you like.

In case you have never owned/shot a revolver before, be aware the " fun " can be taken out very quickly if the thing is brutal. If in fact you want this for fun and range use only, I would look at the heavier Rugers or Smith's with a 4" or 6" bbl's. I love my Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 bbl, but after 10 rounds of full power ammo, I am done with it for the day. On the other hand, the heavier GP100 or Security six regardless of load, is a pleasure to shoot.

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Until recently I would have said hands down a good S&W wheel gun. Since I bought my Rock Island Tactical a few months ago it has become my favorite pistol. I still love my smiths but since you already shoot .45 go for the 1911. Rock Island does indeed make good guns for the money. The tactical only costs a little more and you get some nice upgrades. Trigger job (my pull is 3.7 and my dads gi model is 5.5), novak style sights, amb safety and, large beaver tail. Just be prepared to want to shoot it a lot!!!

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now the decision is tougher than I expected. Revolvers are getting more love than I would have thought.

Just a thought.....both!

I definitely would like to get both, but I just picked up an 870 and last year my first AR, so I doubt the wife would be happy about me dropping $900 on a couple more guns. ;)

I have a SA GI 1911 and a S&W 686 4". If I had to pick just one..... I would go with.... the S&W. The 1911 is fun, but I think for a range/plinking gun, a revolver is better. At least for me.

Here are my reasons:
    - My S&W is 10x more accurate than my 1911. Not that 1911's can be very accurate, this is just my case.
    - I think the 38/357 is easier to reload for than the 45ACP.
    - You can shoot 38's and 357's in the revolver. 38's are cheaper than 45 if you don't reload, and the 357 is a very powerful round if you need some serious firepower.

Just my :twocents:

Good points. Being a revolver noob I was not aware that you could shoot both 38 and 357 ammo. That's pretty nice considering how much cheaper the 38 round is.

If ammo cost is a factor, 500 rounds thru a nice .22 can be just as much fun at the range as 50 rounds of 45 or .357.

If you already have a .22 in your collection, then like others have already said, I would try to shoot both to see what you like.

In case you have never owned/shot a revolver before, be aware the " fun " can be taken out very quickly if the thing is brutal. If in fact you want this for fun and range use only, I would look at the heavier Rugers or Smith's with a 4" or 6" bbl's. I love my Ruger SP101 with the 2 1/4 bbl, but after 10 rounds of full power ammo, I am done with it for the day. On the other hand, the heavier GP100 or Security six regardless of load, is a pleasure to shoot.

The GP100 is a thought. The reviews seem to be very good too. I do not have a .22 so the Sig 1911 .22 may be a good option especially considering that I could spend the day shooting for about $10

Thanks again for the input. As per suggestions, I am going to search for a range that has rentals so I can try them all and compare. The closest range to me is Midwest Gun and Range in Elkhart, IN but I am not sure they have rentals. I am also going to throw the GP100, the American Classic, and SW686 into consideration as well.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Revolver- however, I own no bottom feeders, so take the following suggestions with that in mind. If I was in your shoes I would look at-

22lr- Smith 17 or 617
    38sp- Smith 10 or 60
    Primarily 38 with 357 option- Smith 19 or 66
    357 Primarily- Smith 686 (4")
    44 mag/44sp- Smith 29 or 629 (6")

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    If its between a Kimber and Colt its just a matter of what you want it to look like and what you want stamped on the reciever. You can get a hell of a S&W revolver for quite a bit less, and I think its as much of the same weapon. The resale might be a bit less promising. But its gonna make a huge bang in either .45 or .44 mag. I like a revolver. Maybe Im jaded but its a hell of a gun, and its safe. Which I cant ALWAYS say about the glock

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Ruger sec.6's and gp100's are indestructible,so used ones, if you can find one,are a good buy. Should you ever want to reload, you dont have to chase empties. And you can tell at a glance if they're loaded. If there's ever a malfunction, it's pretty sure to be a bad primer, not the gun-just pull the trigger again. Same w/ Smiths and Colts, but bigger bucks.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Given your budget. I would look for a used pre lock S&W. I have a couple new S&W and a couple 70s & 80s revolvers. The action is simply smoother in the older models. Performance center versions not withstanding.

+1 sbcman
    S&W model 19 would be my first choice.

38 spl is one of the easiest rounds to reload. If you don't reload, 38 is a good place to start.

1911 is a fine choice but they are pretty easy to find and the classic S&W revolver prices are going up and becoming less available.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I recently acquired a Sig 1911-22 very accurate and very fun...got it for 350$. Where are you located? You are welcome to run a few mags through it before you decide...or even after. LOL

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    any 1911 nuff said

That's what I am thinking. I ran to the local gun shop and handled a few revolvers. I didn't get to shoot anything, but in doing so I am beginning to realize that I am not as much of a revolver guy. I like them and I am still open to something like a 686 or a GP100, but I REALLY liked the 1911's. The whole history of the model is part of it.

I recently acquired a Sig 1911-22 very accurate and very fun...got it for 350$. Where are you located? You are welcome to run a few mags through it before you decide...or even after. LOL

I have heard a lot of good things about the Sig. I spoke with a guy who just bought one and LOVES it. For the price, even if I pick up something else, it won't be too long until I add one. We were just at Cabelas last week in Hammond and they had them on sale for $399.

Given your budget. I would look for a used pre lock S&W. I have a couple new S&W and a couple 70s & 80s revolvers. The action is simply smoother in the older models. Performance center versions not withstanding.

+1 sbcman
    S&W model 19 would be my first choice.

38 spl is one of the easiest rounds to reload. If you don't reload, 38 is a good place to start.

1911 is a fine choice but they are pretty easy to find and the classic S&W revolver prices are going up and becoming less available.

I have been looking at used, but as you said they are becoming very hard to come by, especially the more popular models. I did come across a very nice Nickel 19-6 for $725, but I passed considering that I could pick up a brand new 686 for about $650.

Just pick one; start saving and get the other one later.

This is probably going to be my plan.
    1. 1911 (Either save for a Colt, or go with the less expensive RIA)
    2. GP100 or SW 686
    3. Sig 1911-22

bigedp51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    Also, if you reload, the 1911 would be a logical choice since you already have another .45.

I reload and I hate any firearm that throws my brass away, a revolver causes far less stress and you don't have to have one eye on the target and the other eye on flying brass. :wallbash:

My OCD about flying brass is under control now and I would advise a .45 1911, they are easy to work on and customize.

IMGP7439.jpg

Just be careful of over penetration when you shoot your cat in the basement. :xmad:

IMGP7438.jpg

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom